Universal Cally's Caves 2 (by Jordan Pearson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 30, 2014.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #101 nightc1, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Long over due, but I finished the game completely last night.

Before I give my feedback I'd like to point out I've had the same exact gc achievement bug mentioned on the last page. Not just in this game but in the first one as well and I'm on a fantastic wifi connection and usually have a solid 3G signal the few times I'm away from wifi. Every single door I enter triggers all of the achievements to run through and if I go through another door before it finishes it just tacks on the list all of them again once it's finished. IT WILL stop if I let it run through how ever many doors as I've gone through, however further in the game it's just not possible to go that slow since the achievement list is so long.

I'm running this on iOS 6 with a 4S. It may be an iOS6 issue. Whatever the case, it's definitely not my wifi connection as the network here is one of the best I've ever been on (and I've had T1 lines which were terrible compared to this).

Ok...

The game.

Overall a solid platforming experience. As an old Dragon Warrior (Quest) fan, I'm used to level grinding my way to being a bit overpowered and it scratched that itch a little to be able to grind weapons quickly and grind for loot to upgrade. I didn't buy the IAP because I didn't want the extra power and since there would be no way to remove it... I figured I'd just watch the ad banner show when I went in the menus.

I did 100% complete all the levels however as I got closer to the end ... with all my weapons powered to 10 and having long since maxed out leveling calley up and buying everything... well, I just kind of realized it was better to just blow past enemies when possible (using the freeze gun) and just finishing the level as fast as possible. Also as health got low I'd just throw money into the health refill a bunch of times. Exploring the game overall seems pretty pointless since the only reward I ever saw was more gems/money. So late in the game I stopped caring about side paths and I stopped going back to see what was behind those special walls that I needed certain guns for. In that respect, it's kind of a fail. I love the game but the need to explore doesn't really give any kind of rewarding feeling later on.

If there's more to the game... like actual hidden secrets (which I read about the other mystery on the home screen)... well... that would make playing the game more worth it. As it is, 5 hours of playtime and I'm pretty much done with this one. IT's definitely something I'll recommend but please fix the GC error and in the next game make exploration something with some meaning. Like an alternate path to some other levels or something... or a hidden wall that reveals some extended story line or whatever. It's a good game but no doubt at the end I was just pushing my way through to the finish line.

EDIT:

IS the super secret in the backyard (not talking platform)
    That if you go in the house your gun disappears? Or is that just a bug? That's probably not it as you said there was some reward attached... but... I'm scratching my head at what else it could be since I've used the flamethrower (I think that's the weapon in the hint you posted)
    . Feel free to send me a pm as to what the real secret is if I'm wrong.

2. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Never mind. I figured out the secret.
    flamethrower attack house

For some reason it didn't trigger until I reset the game.

3. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Interesting, we didn't know that did anything! Haha. Thanks so much for your thoughts nightc, we will definitely be making our next game a bit more exploration focused and have better rewards for exploration (and a new game plus mode which will unlock another tier of weapons). We'll start posting our progress on our blog asap! And it is going to be Cally 3 :)

4. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Sounds great. If the GC error could be fixed though in Calley's Caves 1... that would be awesome since I'm still trying to finish it.

5. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    We will definitely try our best! Thanks for your patience with us as a two man team, we are learning a lot as we go.

6. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Cally's Caves 3

Hey everybody! well the thread is pretty dormant now, but we want to say one last thank you to everyone that contributed, and also give you a little taste of what's to come... we are working hard on Cally 3 right now, and here is a little sneak peek: [​IMG]

Jordan

7. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Hey everybody! Could someone provide tips for the stage 82 boss? I'm trying a maxed out rocket launcher.

Thanks!

8. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Heh, nevermind. Finished the game today. :)

9. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Looking forward to Calleys Caves 3. Would love to finish 1 if the gc errors get squashed. Any update on that or is it just tough luck?

10. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey sorry we were away there for a bit! For the level 82 boss, the spike gun is super helpful (but you know that by now, sorry :/)

And we are working on an update for 1, it's just in the pipeline with a few other things right now, we will definitely have it out at some point in the next 6 weeks.... Thanks everyone
    Jordan

11. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Playpressers trailer

Hey everyone! I just wanted to post this amazing fan trailer made by Tyler Williams of Playpressers.com. He did such a good job of it!

12. kristoffer

kristoffer Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    It seems like it's incompatible with the newest iOS. Is this the case or is it just me?

13. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Bonus Levels and iOS 8 compatibility update is OUT!

Hey everyone,
    Sorry about the downtime after iOS 8 came out, but V1.1.0 of Callys Caves 2 is live now, with full iOS 8 compatibility, and support for the new iPhones. Oh, and BONUS LEVELS with a little tease of what's coming up next (the tease probably won't shock you). Thanks everyone for your continued support, we are almost at 150,000 downloads and we are so motivated to bring you an even better game next time :D
    Jordan

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/callys-caves-2/id857950815?mt=8

14. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Oh come on. Haha

I deleted the game not even two days ago thinking there wasn't anymore to do after completing it.

Time to reinstall and check out the new stuff. :)

15. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Noooo! Sorry about the timing of the update. I posted on here that we were working on an update a LONG time ago, but I should have come back and posted here when the iOS 8 issue happened.
    I can tell you now that we are already working on more content for the next update, and it probably won't be out for a month or two, but there will be more new stuff (and bug fixes) coming down the line!
    Thanks so much for playing our game,
    Jordan

16. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Umm, if I update the game, will I still still be able to play it?

Asking because I only have iOS6...

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #117 nightc1, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    iOS 8 compatibility doesn't mean it's not compatible with older iOS versions (staring with ios 5)

Edit:

Any chance the GC bug is fixed where it showed all the achievements every time you changed rooms.

18. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    I hope so but if not we have a second fix to correct it. Let us know what your experience is! Also, if anyone has an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus and wants to tell us cash-strapped developers how the game plays on it, that would be awesome!

19. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Nope, the Game Center bug is still there.

The achievements still keep popping up whenever you enter into a different place on the map.

20. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #120 nightc1, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Thanks for posting that. The first game also had the same GC bug. It ended up grinding the fun out of going back to these games that I ended up deleting them.

No offense intended. Both games are great fun but the first one still has the GC bug (just installed and checked the current version) which after a year of being out there on the market (as of tomorrow) sort of shows a lack of desire/effort put into fixing the bug. :(