Universal Cally's Caves 2 (by Jordan Pearson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey thank you!!! Yeah there's a little bit of roughness, we are a two man team and had a decent team of volunteer playtesters, but a couple squeaked through that we are hoping to clean up for the update!
    I have a tip for you about the Cyborg Colossus... there are a couple of safe zones in that boss level where he can't hit you (like the block ledge right at the start of the boss level). And right before that boss, you may have found a gun that will be useful :D I hope that helps without spoiling anybody else!

[​IMG]

2. 1HKO

1HKO Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Jordan's working on an update soon! We'll be ironing out some of the bugs mentioned and even adding in some new stuff based on the feedback we've been getting!

Hope you all like it!

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    My review felt lonely hanging out in the promo codes section so I decided to post it here with the popular kids. Yeah.... I'm talking about you peteozzy!! LOL

This game is so funny!
    I know that's not what everyone expects to hear. (smile)
    But seriously, there's this frustration level to it every time you get out and then there's little surprise that just had me rolling!
    There's this guttural sounding NO!!! that would somehow appear and come from the back of my throat while shaking the IPad in front of my face. LOL
    I am now officially a crazy person! he he

There's a storyline to the game which is a bit cheesy but fun.
    Cally goes into the caves... (Really?? - kidding!) collecting coins, gems, treasure and fighting off monsters.
    A guitar playing guide that shows up anytime out of nowhere and a little girl in pony-tails with a sword and a shotgun. What more could you want? Good thing guitar guy shows up because he was able to tell Cally that her mother never taught her how to swim.

The controls take a little getting used too mainly because the character has an unusual double jump glide thing going on that I can't explain. But it's very easy to compensate and get used to the controls.

Cally's Caves 2 is pixelated goodness with just the right amount of challenge, frustration, & cuteness.
    The fun is worth the download.

Note: There is an in app purchase of .99¢. (The only iap) It gives you poison bullets, gems and disables the ads. Very reasonable.
    As for the ads; they are not intrusive at all.

4. CzarBrain

CzarBrain Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Awesome game!

5. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    #65 jordanfwc, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    Thank you for all the support Lavendar! The toucharcade community has been SO awesome :D

Thank you so much for playing CzarBrain!! We also wanted to share this video series with everyone, MMOhunter's youtube channel is posting some playthrough videos of the game and I think he's going to try to make it to the very end! Here's the latest:

(not sure why it is not posting as a video)

6. 1HKO

1HKO Member

Jul 1, 2014
    I'll be looking forward to more of MMOhunter's quest into the caves :D

I'm entertained by the fact that EVERYONE approaches the game differently through there videos.

Vid by iOSBEST:

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind comments, awesome reviews, and informative critiques!

7. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Regarding an early secret...
    I can *see* the secret in the backyard, just can't get up to it.
    Not sure if that's a spoiler, tagging it just in case.

8. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Hey Planetshooter!! That is ONE of the secrets... the more straightforward one :D. You'll definitely figure out a way to get up there soon. But there is one more super-secret in there :)

9. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

Whenever I get a new weapon in this game in just like to milk past bosses for weapon upgrades XD

10. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    My device is jailbroken, 7.0.4. All coins I pick up give me +0. Is that an intentional anti-piracy feature?

11. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    Echoen, we've had a bug that has affected 2 other people that way as well, and we are working on a fix, but its a bug with generating the save file the first time you start the game. So if you uninstall the app from the device and redownload from the Appstore, it should work fine! This fix worked with the other two people that experienced it, and we are working on a fix for the update. Sorrry for that! No ant-piracy measures here, it's a free app anyways :D

And pukeaces, that is a perfectly viable strategy, there's definitely a lot of benefit to going back and fighting the bosses again. Lots of exploration to do after you get the spike gun too.

12. Planetshooter

Ok, I got up there! Now I'm looking for that super-secret.

As for overall progress, I'm on level 84. Such a great game.

13. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    We are really glad you are enjoying it! (our favorite environment is that last one with the aztec looking head blocks and stuff).
    So far things have been going awesome. We were even lucky enough to be linked on Toucharcade's new release article AND talked about on the podcast this week. Here is the link to the podcast in case you aren't already a subscriber.

We feel super lucky to have this thread to talk with the people playing the game, and that the Toucharcade staff took notice of our game. Being two guys making a game in our respective bedrooms, we never thought it could hit this kind of visibility. Thanks to all for that :D

14. Planetshooter

Just in case anyone needs an easy kill here:

Use the Flamethrower, which you will have by this point in the game. Stand on the little ledge (the very thin ledge that is just about as wide as Cally) on the left side, a couple of steps down from where you start. Stay here and you can't be hit. The flamethrower will level up about 4 or 5 times during this single fight. Any other weapon at this point won't hit the boss from that ledge. The flamethrower hits every time due to the area effect.

Arguably, this is a cheesy cheat, but it works.

15. Planetshooter

If you're struggling to acquire cash, or you want an easy/quick way to accumulate it to buy the expensive items such as health regeneration:

Go to the very start of level 5, right at the entrance portal. Immediately above you, 4 of those pink gems on a platform. Collect them, walk out of the portal, walk back in ... repeat. Get the 2x coin multiplier from the store, then the 5x multiplier. Now, each run (which takes about 5 seconds) will get you 4 x 500 for the gems + some small change for the silver coins between the portal and the first platform. Note - you need the triple jump power-up to be able to reach the pink gems. Once you have the 5x multiplier, this is the fastest way I've found to collect cash. Extremely safe too, as there are no enemies or hazards to stop you getting at the gems.

16. 1HKO

1HKO Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks for the tips, Planetshooter! If we ever do beta testing sign-ups as we did for CC2, we should give you a call!

Another awesome vid, this time by KaijuPop, w/ commentary:

video

17. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    And another awesome review from Sentral Gamer! They gave us 88/100!!

18. Planetshooter

Congratulations - a duo of 88% reviews. I've now finished all the levels (103 - that's a lot by anyone's standards) and now I'm clearing up some outstanding achievements.

I still don't think I've found the big secret in the backyard, but I've
    been up to the high gem platform several times. I thought maybe you'd put a hidden room above the scoreline. I'll keep looking, trying out all the weapons in various ways...

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#79 Anotherkellydown, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Beat it! So many levels, so many weapons! Still have to go back and get all the beat "X" amount of enemies, max out your character, and max out your weapons achievements.

This is such a loaded game - LOTS of levels and weapons, loads of Game Center achievements, upgrades, secrets, a variety of enemies & bosses, great controls, nice graphics, and on and on... Pure platforming bliss!!!

20. jordanfwc

Oct 24, 2013
    if you get totally stumped I can DM you it, at this point in the game the payoff for it might not be as impactful as in the early stages :D

Yes!!! Thank you! We are glad you find the game to be content-rich. We want to keep it up with future games so people know if they download a game from us, that they are going to have tons of content to play through for free. Thank you for your kind words and for playing!
    Jordan