iPad Calling all Frenzic Players ( help! )

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rivgambino, Feb 14, 2009.

1. rivgambino

rivgambino Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    I always wanted Frenzic but never bought it although I waste $$ on a daily basis in the app store ( yes I am a fellow addict and my name is Riv ). Anyways the other day I finally bought it and was so glad I did. Very fun, addicting game IMO but I am not here to talk about that. I am here to see if any of the Frenzic vets can give me any pointers. In like 3/4 days I have cracked 1,000 points twice. I am horrid at this game yet I keep coming back for more punishment. I guess its some sort of sick fetish I have, who knows? Anyways, can I get some advise from someone who is good at the game or if there are any tips/tricks I should know about. Thanks for your time.

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Sorry, I can't help much. Such a polished game though, killed me to remove it from my device. The random chance just ruins the game for me, even with the best logic, random chance can get you a game over rather quickly. :(

3. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    in the beginning, don't worry about matching the colors. of course - start out trying to get the colors together.

but when you get to the point with only a few openings left and you can complete a circle that doesn't match - do it anyway. train yourself to know that staying alive is more important than bonus points - the longer you're alive, the more potential points you'll get anyway.

4. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I'm not exactly a master at the game, but I find I can identify Blue colour wedges quicker than the others, so I tend to place them on the top circle. That way, I can fill that with all blue asap and save the nuke to clear the board for emergencies. The 2x pts circle is not that critical as survival is more important.

5. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Curious if this one is worth getting?

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Test your reflex, patience and EQ. So, I see no reason not buying this (unless you are waiting for a price drop)

7. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Think it will? It looks really cool, the screenshot looks like there are ranks or something? And what kind of stats?

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Cannot answer the price drop part, and yes, there are personal best and daily best. IIRC, there is a world board too.

9. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Ok thanks! Maybe I'll pick it up

10. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Don't buy it!!
    Haven't touched it in weeks
    All luck, five dollars, no point
    Say no
    You will thank me later

11. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Ok thanks! Any opinion on biplane or eliss??

12. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

yup, im glad i got this when it was on sale, I would be pissed at this pricepoint.

13. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

totally different games. eliss is hard but cool, not sure if im 100% sold on it because level 10 or 11 is frickin tough, i don't like games I can never complete.

biplane is cool if you want an arcade flying game...much better than biiplane. out of the two I think I prefer biplane over eliss.

14. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, the luck required and pure chance involved kills it for me. Especially when I would sometimes get 4 pieces in a row that were exactly the same. This made it really difficult to progress in the game.

15. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    You've just described exactly the same major problem I have with this great game. It's lovely, and the feel is just right... I just hate it when I get the same pieces that will not fit in anywhere, and then I just lose the whole game.

I normally place the blues at the top (easiest to identify, and the nuke option is literally a lifesaver!) with yellows on the bottom left (slowdown). The x2 bonus is not important for me, so anything else goes to the other circles.

Overall I would rate this 4/5 stars, because it IS a good game, just not a GREAT game because of the random luck factor. If the dev can update it to reduce the chances of having two identical wedges right when you're on the ropes, or maybe give us a chance to store one wedge for emergency (either for keeping later, or deferring the potential killer) that might help.

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Yup, that is exactly where the pain is!!! But still, it is the best non-word, non-match-3 puzzle game I have tried.

17. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    For those are are interested, and who haven't seen it yet, here is the official strategy guide on how to best play the game, from the Frenzic guys themselves:

http://frenzic.com/strategy-guide/

18. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Although there are small elements of luck, and to be quite honest some of the best games for replayability have small elements of luck, Frenzic is really not a game of luck, it is a game of skill in the same way that Tetris is.

Or you could just say that Tetris is a game of luck? To score high in Tetris, you take risks to build columns and then wait for your long bar to fill it in. But if the long bar does not come soon, you start building up a really bad tower...because of luck and then cannot recover.

There are reasons why some of the same people are repeated on the high score lists in Frenzic....they are good at it, not lucky at it.

Just because you don't instantly master something does not make it pure luck.;)

19. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I regret buying Frenzic. Usually when I send feedback or ask a question to a developper, they answer very fast. I wrote to this guy several times and they never even answered me. There are many other games cheaper a far better than this one, challenging, but not frustrating. It is supposed to be a time precision game and the touch controls are not very responsive.