Calling All Disheartened Developers!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ThumbSnail, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    #1 ThumbSnail, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    I'm making a game about how ridiculously hard it is to get noticed in the world of apps nowadays. In my game, you basically have to battle flappy bird clones and one-star reviews.

***NEW***: See this thread for screenshots of the game:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=260575

The part that will be of most interest to you is that I have a scrolling background of the icons of apps that have fallen by the wayside. Some of them are my own apps, some of them are fake apps. But I thought it'd be fun to open it up to other developers like me who are very proud of their games but never (or barely) got noticed.

So the quick breakdown:

The good:

Your app gets some free exposure!

The unfortunate:

Per what I've heard about Apple's Review Guidelines, I don't think I can actually link to your app from my game. However, I will have a link to my website that will list all of the other developers' apps displayed in my background.

Furthermore, there's a chance my game gets flat-out rejected because I'm displaying apps other than my own. I hope that's not the case, but it could happen, especially in light of the fact that...

The risk:

My game is making fun of Apple. They may hate me (and, by association, you!) for poking fun at them.

So...

If you're still interested, here's what I'd need from you:

1. Your App Icon
    -Format: .png
    -Size: 512x512 (I'll shrink it down for the various different sprite sheets for the different devices)
    -Prerounded, if possible: (Like how it'd look on an actual iOS device) I'd prefer this just to make my job go a little faster.

2. Your App Title
    -This may get truncated if it's too long and doesn't fit in my graphic

3. Your App Price
    -Hopefully: free, 0.99, or 2.99 so that I don't have to make more art, haha!

4. Your/Your Company's Name
    -I'll display this on my website next to your app in the list of Other Developers' Games featured in my background

You can either post these things here on this thread, or you can email me at: thumbsnailstudios --> gmail. If by email, please mention "Icon for BG" in the subject. By posting/email me this information, you agree that you own the artwork and are cool with me sticking it in my game as part of the background.

I have no idea how many (if any) of you will be interested in this. I'll be doing a "first come, first serve" approach since I don't have unlimited texture space. For now, if you have developed multiple games, I'll limit you to just one of your apps. But if hardly anyone is interested in doing this, I'll accept multiple app icons from the same person.

Thanks for your time! By the way, I wish I could promise you that my game will become wildly popular and that your app will in turn receive tons of exposure. But we all know that's unlikely, so this is mostly for fun.

2. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
  3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't quite understand how the gameplay works? Do you have any videos?

4. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    I don't have any videos at the moment, but I can give a quick explanation. There are, in effect, two modes:

1. Flight Mode: Flappy birds and one-star reviews are falling from above. Tap anywhere and you move in that direction to dodge. If you get hit by a one-star, you die. If you get hit by a flappy bird, you get stunned. If they miss, they just fly off the screen.

2. Stunned Mode: After you're stunned, lots of flappy bird icons pour down from above (which will no longer stun you) and now start piling up. You have to collect a cloud (aka, a download) to resume flight and escape the flappy birds; otherwise you're buried alive and lose the game.

5. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    Thanks to those who have joined in so far!

Per request, here is a quick video of the gameplay:

6. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    The game idea is good but to get a bit of pay back I am not sure if that is going to get you anywhere.h

7. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    @1stSPIN-

I'm not quite sure what you mean. This certainly isn't meant to be vindictive. It's supposed to be funny and fun, and I hope it comes across that way.

8. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    If you feel in your heart you are doing it for all the right reasons then do it. I believe you just got to keep plugging away and eventually you will be rewarded

9. impressflow

impressflow Member

May 1, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Honestly, regardless of your motivation, the gameplay video posted above is hilarious!

10. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Just saw your video. Nice!
    I didn't have a chance because we are putting the finishing touches on a new game.

11. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    @1stSPIN- Best of luck on your new game.

Much thanks to those who have asked me to include their app! I have already added your apps to the background. I'm closing down this opportunity and submitting my app for review. I'll keep you posted on what happens and when it will hopefully launch!

12. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    Climby Charts: Buried Alive in the App Heap is now available for download!

[​IMG]

I just wanted to inform the developers who joined in on the fun how the scrolling background is set up:

1. There are 15 different apps in the background, the order of which is randomized every new game.
    2. After you climb 15 ranks, the background repeats itself in the exact same order.

Thus, if you don't see your app right away, don't worry. Try to climb 10 ranks or so, and you'll probably spot it.

Thanks again to the developers who let me use their app icons and information! Enjoy, and best of luck climbing the Top Charts!

13. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fun game. Will you be updating it? I feel some polish would help it. The gameplay is quite addictive but the presentation is lacking in awesomesauce.

14. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    Hahaha, I like that! I'm glad the gameplay is fun. Yeah, if it becomes mildly popular, I'd be willing to update it. However, as you can probably tell, that's about the extent of my art skills so I don't know that there'd be much improvement in that department.

What would you change?