California Proposition 19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rocketman919, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I know what you're saying, but as stupid as the government can be, they're not that stupid. Changing one law doesn't mean they're going to change another. You're basically saying there's actually a chance a bunch of high powered people responsible for maintaining law and order of one of the world's superpowers would think it's a good idea to say "Let's decriminalize weed, and also rape because sex is fun". I'm pretty sure they know where to draw that line.

2. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Alcohol isn't as bad as pot heads claim. Heavy drinkers live longer than non-drinkers. Toke on that. Self medication is a good thing IMO, and that's why alcohol is legal and that's why weed should be legal. I think ALL drugs should be legal, because that will seriously reduce the criminal activity in the US. We need to wake up before it's too late. Drug cartels are not limited to only operating in Mexico. They are already here, and it's only going to get worse. They have the money and the manpower to do whatever they want. The only way to stop them is to make drugs legal.

3. Rezur

Rezur Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Thanks for the good laugh. ;)

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I'm guessing you must be on some pretty strong drugs right now to write such BS. I'm pretty sure that alcohol has ruined and taken away many more lives than any other drug.

5. Rezur

Rezur Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    I didn't even notice that part. Thanks for pointing that out LBG - I got another good laugh out of it.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    He probably just meant that after death, their bodies take longer to deteriorate due to being preserved in alcohol :)

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Your justification is not a little extreme. There is a Brobdingnagian difference between your rhetorical rape and reality. People have the right to drive cars, provided they meet regulatory requirements, so the government could just as easily issue licenses to eat babies. That's what you sound like – that was my impression of you. ;)

EDIT: I just realized I made two JS references in one post. The day is off to a good start.

8. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #48 Leothwyn, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    The way I see it, continuing prohibition on a fairly harmless substance that is in high demand accomplishes these things:
    - Creates a huge market for gangs/criminals to thrive on.
    - Wastes law enforcement time and money.
    - Fills prisons.
    - Makes weed a gateway drug. People having to go out on the streets to buy it will be more likely to find connections with speed, heroin etc.. That's the only way the whole 'gateway drug' point has any merit IMO. If people bought from legit businesses they would have less chance of meeting people offering harder drugs. I've never had a chance to buy hard drugs when I've gone to the store to pick up a six pack, but as a teen I had chances to pick up opium, speed, heroin through weed connections.

What prohibition definitely does not accomplish is to stop anyone who wants to from smoking weed. I grew up in a very conservative area, and I had absolutely no problem finding it. It was harder for me to get the legal stuff (alcohol).

Still, I'm not sold on prop. 19. I still need to read the whole thing... but I had the impression that it has mandatory minimums for certain situations tied to it. So, a 21 yr. old kid smoking a bowl with his 19 yr. old friend goes to prison for years for supplying it to someone under age? If that's the case, I'll vote no and wait 'til next year to see what the next version will be.

9. acrotran

Jul 31, 2010
  10. acrotran

Jul 31, 2010
    Dopers think that legal alcohol justifies getting high, because dope isn't as harmful as alcohol. It's a stupid argument, because alcohol has nothing to do with weed. And it's a stupid argument because it's factually wrong. If you're a doper you probably won't understand. Guess why?

11. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hehe, ok. Maybe saying releasing robbers and shoplifters and keeping rapists and murderers in jail would have been better.

12. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I agree that legal alcohol isn't a reason to legalize weed. There are plenty of good reasons to legalize it IMO though.

The fact that you call them dopers, and that you buy into the stereotype that anyone who smokes pot is stupid and slow show that you're pretty out of touch. I have some friends who smoke, and they're bright, intelligent people. As with alcohol, if you have a bit of self control and do it moderately there is absolutely no problem. People who constantly drink way too much are just as likely to addle their brains as people who smoke way too much pot.

13. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I'm saying that legalizing alcohol and not weed doesn't make any sense and I've never done either. I don't smoke weed and I don't drink.

But weed is not any more harmful than alcohol. Cigarettes are legal and taxed like crazy. Alcohol is legal and taxed like crazy. California is in debt up to its eyeballs. The state is basically poor. They are cutting school funding and even releasing a trunk load of prison inmates early to try and make ends meet.

If you legalized weed, prostitution and gambling, and taxed all three industries, you can start cutting into this ridiculous deficit. People are going to gamble, smoke weed, and participate in prostitution anyway, one way or another. These vices aren't going away, whether you legalize them or not. But you can control them, regulate them, and profit off of them. Gambling and prostitution are legal in Nevada. Seems to work out pretty well for them.

And since we are already profitting off of cigarettes and alcohol, I don't want to see anyone try to take the moral high ground when it comes to profitting off of weed or prostitution or gambling. We, as a society, chose to jump that shark a long time ago.

14. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    This thread is full of trollery.

15. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Ok, so you say that people are going to gamble, smoke and participate in prostitution anyway? Well surely making smoking legal puts across the is that is is ok to smoke? Therefore you are almost definitely going to get a rise in Pot heads (or whatever nickname you have got for them), especially if they believe they won't get jailed for it. This will therefore have an impact on the society as a whole and decrease the overall standard and reputation of the people living there.

This will therefore have countless ramifications such as less tourism, people migrating from the area (because of the increased prostitution, gambling and smoking) and so on. So even though directly making these things legal may result in financial gain, indirectly, the stae will lose out and suffer in the long run.

16. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Ignoring the first part for now, the ramifications on the state are backwards. Tourism will increase dramatically, especially whilst it remains one of the few states with legal cannabis. People will migrate to the area, to take advantage of the legalised gambling and cannabis (possibly hookers too, I'm not sure if people would really move for hookers though...) The tax is only the start of the benefits for the state. Primarily the increase in tourism will be a secondary boost.

I'm sure you going to try to argue that the tourism will decrease because people who used to want to go there will be put off because of the legalised cannabis, etc. Just do a little research of the the tourism stats before and after Holland legalised. A good number of people I met whilst in Amsterdam had no interest in coffee shops

17. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Two charts that seem relevant to this thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm not sure on the accuracy of that second graphic, for one I'm pretty sure cannabis is not legal in Belgium (possibly decriminalised), and the leaves of a female plant may get you high in very large quantities, but what you really want is the succulent bud of the plant. Leaves contain only small quantities of THC, but can still be used in large quantities for cooking, or creating hash.
    Also the American history of cannabis section is a bit incomplete IMO, mentions nothing about hemp vs paper

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The chart misses out a lot of good information about other medicinal uses too.

Because TV and newspapers told your daddy that weed turns your brain inside out, then he told you and you believed it without question.

20. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    All you CA tokers of voting age... don't forget to vote :p

I don't really think it will pass but then again I don't think it's a sure that it won't either... A whole lot of people smoke weed that you would never suspect. All kinds of professionals and people you would think are square, etc. And there are a lot of people who don't smoke that don't really care one way or the other about it.

I don't really think it makes much difference tbh. Unless you're caught moving or carrying a lot of weight it's already practically decriminalized. And it's so easy to get a card. I agree that rapists and murderers shouldn't be getting reduced sentences because of people in there convicted for marijuana... but people in prison for marijuana aren't exactly in there for smoking a joint. It's usually people trafficking/selling/possessing major weight or gang related. Whether prop 19 passes or not won't make a bit of difference around my usage. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's no freakin' way I'm paying taxes on it lol.