Universal Calculords (by Ninja Crime)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Could have easily just allowed division that ends in whole number only. But i agree, i don't think division would have added much to the game. It would add another layer to calculations, making more numbers possible but some more annoying to get to. Then balance wise, do you lean towards forcing players to use division efficiently or no? That would extend game time as players have another function to have to think through. If you leave the game as is but with division, it would be easier with the extra added function so some balance changes would have to made. I just think it works better as is

2. WaspStung

WaspStung Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bought the club iap. thanks for this great game.

3. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    this was announced tonight by the developer:

"Dev Note: Automatically saving the state of a fight when you leave the game is high on our priority list."

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I didn't expect you to know, Maxi. Just throwing it out as a topic of discussion, seeing as this is a forum and all.

Forum - "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

In case you didn't know that, either. ;)

And for the record, I don't care if division is ever added (pun!) to the game. I was just curious what others thought about it.

5. Hawkeye67

Hawkeye67 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Enjoying this game since yesterday. I am at level 4 now.

Does anyone know what the purpose of the Deck Editor is? As far as I can tell, you can add any number of cards to your existing deck. What would be the use of a 2nd or 3rd deck?

Also, there is a numbers editor, which has the digits 1-9 already preset. What is the purpose of adding more digits to it?

6. jnt325

jnt325 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Deck editor allows you to experiment with different deck types. For example, you could create an offensive deck, defensive deck, and balanced deck and use them in different situations. I try to keep my decks pared down and fairly small. Running one deck with every card you unlock would eventually become very tough to deal with most likely.

Number editor allows you to increase the odds of certain numbers appearing. This can be a factor when choosing which cards to include in your decks.

7. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, adding every card you have to a deck probably is not the best strategy. Often with these type of games a lower number of your best cards is preferable, because the odds are better of drawing those cards. And that would be all there was to it if this was a basic CCG. In this game though, it is quite tricky to determine what cards are better than others. You would think that the best stats/abilities are the way to go, but you also have to consider that in general larger numbers are slightly harder to make than lower numbers. The number editor adds another element to this, as you can add more copies of numbers that favor to the cards in your deck. You also probably want to have somewhat of a good balance between off, tac, and push. And finally, certain cards have synergy for soldier, mutants, or vehicle types so a deck catered to those may work well. There is really a lot to think about

For now, i am sticking with higher numbered cards in general, and using extra high numbers in the number editor. Probably not the absolute best strategy, but it is working so far

As far as deck 2 & 3, they are just there to give you the option of creating extra decks without erasing your others. Certain challenges such as winning with all offense cards work best with an all offense deck, so it is nice to easily be able to put together a second deck for that

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I think it would be redundant. You basically do the reverse, your cards having the solution to multiplication, or addition and subtraction. Basically as it is, you can achieve everything you need. Plus having division would give you fractions which would be nonsense. All digits in the game are whole numbers, why complicate it further?

Anyway moving on..

9. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    So, I'm level three and just unlocked the second guy to battle. He seems impossible, easily summoning 10 troops a turn, he overpowers and dominates me with utter ease. Is the answer grind the first guy more for cards/xp or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

10. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    It's possible to beat him at 3, but you should just beat up on fancy bot a bit more. Pretty much every victory early on with him levels you up (increasing your HP) plus you're getting more cards.

11. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    This game is a must-play

12. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I beat him at 3. It seemed like i would lose for a while but i stuck with it and won. Honestly there are only 2 things i focused on:
    -Getting the first calculord bonus almost every turn. You seriously need to do this so dont overlook it. The second one is nice for XP but thats it.
    -Summon everything in the outer two lanes. Only send a grunt in the middle lane once the bombers get close to set off a chain reaction

13. kirua

kirua Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I think my deck is working well, it at least saves me a lot of thinking and still gives me very stable wins. I haven't lost yet, and I have been taking new opponents rather early once they are unlocked.

What I did was just to use cards with even-numbered costs, and use all the numbers I have that are even-numbered AND the number 1.

Unless you get one of the default 3, 5, 7, 9, you don't even need to think about even numbers, and anything even times even or even plus even stays even.

14. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    was playing against Cpl. Krak last night. my top row over killed his base and once everyone finished their turn the game froze, no Victory display. it didn't really freeze as i could double tap cards and turn the music on/off but the calculator was greyed out and i couldn't do anything and the game wouldn't finish. i had to kill the app. anyone else have this happen?

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I wonder what the developers had in mind when they designed the second boss. Even when I follow all the advice from Seanbaby himself, Krak can sometimes pull stunts that make it practically impossible to win, in spite of calculord bonuses every turn, detonating Krak's Krazies, focusing on either A or C while defending B, etc.

I have read enough over at Pocket Tactics to understand that with luck, the player can succeed before any hugely powerful tactics card changes enough circumstances to destroy a lane full of soldiers. But the mere fact that we (or last probably a good portion of us) have to rely on luck/bad AI card draws to defeat the second opponent and progress is a very strange design choice (especially since the game apparently becomes much easier again afterwards).

Perhaps an attempt to impart the very hardcore nature of the game?

16. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    Or maybe a good old balance bug.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #177 Ayjona, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    With the lead designer himself giving advice on how to pass the boss, but without any confirmation that this is an issue that will be resolved, I doubt it.

(And I actually like the principle, but I wished it had been balanced slightly more leniently ;) )

18. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    i'm not bragging but it is not impossible, i did it and many others on this forum have as well. granted, it was a long and bitter fight but i won. crap, if it were easy it wouldn't be a challenge and thus not any fun. buff up a little more against Fancybot then try again. you can win and you'll get that 'phew, that was fun!" feeling.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeh, I know it is possible. Hence "Krak can sometimes pull stunts that make it practically impossible to win" ;)

I've run 10+ battles against Fancybot, and tweaked my deck to and fro. But yah, I will not yield. I'm mostly just curious as to the principles behind such a design choice.

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #180 sapphire_neo, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Krak is one of the easiest battles in the game. She is just served up a little too early in progression. Level to at least 5/6, get a few decen cards from Fancybot and then hit her again. Seanbaby's tactics article on PT is incredibly precise and accurate on how to do well in the game, and against her.