Universal Calculords (by Ninja Crime)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Feb 22, 2014.

1. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks ScotDamn and Topherunhinged.

I was afraid that someone would give me ScotDamn's answer - that just triggers my OCD nature of always wanting to use up all the numbers :D

I guess I'll have to find a middle ground here and set myself a limit of how much I spend in each play.

The first match I played I definitely struggled a bit, but actually the second time around I managed to clear all the numbers the majority of the times.

To Topher's point: I see what you're saying, and in concept it does make sense. That being said, with 4 cards with different values, and 6 random numbers, there seems to be a lot of room to clear all the numbers, even if you just use them all up to play a single of those cards, and relying on 1s and 0s to multiply by 1, and adding 0.

That being said, knowing that the game is not "built" from the ground up with the notion that there is always a way to clear the numbers makes me a bit more relaxed - in the sense that I do not need to constantly look at it as a puzzle, but more enjoy the game and go with the flow.

As for Card City Nights, I think it's also out on Steam. I have only played a small bit... It looks promising, but I haven't had much time with it yet. Anyone knows what's the expected release date on iOS?

Cheers!

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #202 ScotDamn, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to give added pressure, I assure you! You can just strive to clear them, but settle once you get passed a reasonable point. I will say it becomes much more intuitive to clear numbers with more time in the game as well as customizing your deck cards and numbers. Good luck though. :)

One more edit: When I first started, I took an unreasonable amount of time to clear the numbers, not using much math for the last decade. But I did always go for clearing all the numbers, perhaps with a bit of OCD. I just remember reading in the tutorial to always clear the numbers for the best chance so I took that seriously. :D

3. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Wait, there are two bonuses? I thought the Calculord bonus for clearing all the numbers just got you new numbers. What's the bonus to get all new cards?

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It seems that if you exhaust your deck it is simply shuffled back into use immediately. I had one of my superrares in play of which I have only one copy, Adamant Medsuit, and three turns later I drew another copy of it in my hand with the Medsuit still in play.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm waiting for Card City Nights too. I heard it was supposed to be out this week. Maybe at EST on Thursday? I hope so. That game looks pretty legit.

6. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Why does this game keep crashing when I try to start a game..... Anyone else? Iphone 5s

7. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    If you place all your unit/tactic cards, you get a new set and another bonus. Spacenerd bonus?

8. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #208 Jrec15, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    Just throwin out a general reply:
    The game is soooo not grindy. I did buy the $2 club IAP so maybe without that it would take some grinding, but that is fair, no? Other than that, if you think it is grindy, stop assuming that is the case (because it is really not) and work on getting that calculord bonus! That is the biggest thing. In my experience, 99% of the time it is possible to clear the numbers right away to a 0 or to 1's. Obviously doing so without playing cards is not smart (this would be pointless). After playing the right cards though, i would say that figure only drops to about 90%. Try to play 3/4 different cards, if that doesnt work try to play 2 cards and clear, if that doesn't work try to play 1 card and clear. Very rarely should you ever be able to play 1 card and not clear the numbers after. If it gets to this point, it is not so bad, take your 1 card and hope to make a couple more with the next set of numbers. This leads to almost always getting the calculord bonus. Combine that with good placement/timing of your units and that is all you need starting off. I went all the way to Cosblast without losing.
    The tricky part later on is setting up a proper deck, and i have some work to do there. But overall the first couple opponents are difficult yes, but not grindy.

Edit: Note I do agree with others above me that sometimes you need to accept what you can get and move on. However I would also suggest weighing your options. If you are currently playing 2 cards but not getting the bonus, it might be better to play 1 card and get the bonus. If you can play 3 cards without getting the bonus, maybe that is the better route than playing 1 card and getting the bonus. It all just depends on the situation

9. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Definitely a grind.

Hopefully the multiplayer version will implement an in-game store where you shop for cards. I would have liked to load my deck with some of the better cards from Fancy Bot, like the medic troop and some of the squad cards, but I'd have to grind just for the chance to even have them drop. It would also be nice to have a card database, as it stands I couldn't even see what cards Fancy had, or the cards I've already seen in play, which is disappointing.

10. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I think my math skills are improving, ScotDamn! I just love this game.

11. Sneakers

Sneakers Member

Jun 17, 2012
    The game keeps crashing whenever i try to use an edited deck on my iphone 5. Is this happening to anyone?

12. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    A few posts back someone complains of a similar issue and in the AppStore reviews there are more than a few crash complaints. I don't know the official word on an update though.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    OT: Pocket Gamer has a review posted 2 nights ago and gives it a Gold. Looks like it is out in Europe.

14. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #214 ScotDamn, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    I've been playing extensively on an iPhone 5s and haven't had a single crash. What iOS version are you guys running? I'm running iOS 7.04 without issue.

Awesome! It's quite an excellent feeling when you start getting better/quicker in solving the numbers. It's highly stimulating for the mind and great - unique gameplay. Definitely one of those rare games that are actually good for the brain. Also one I actually really enjoy. :)

The developer said they were working on an update to fix some bugs. I suppose the crashing that I was unaware of.

15. thelistener

thelistener Member

Sep 25, 2013
    #215 thelistener, Feb 27, 2014
    I've been loving the game. I can understand that it's not for everyone, but it's almost perfect for me. I remember reading on this forum a few pages back someone having an issue getting the last few cards off an opponent? Has anyone managed to get that achievement yet?

I just realized that each opponent *probably* has 30 cards. Going through each card, building a deck that only lists Fancybot as the source, I end up with 21 cards... So I'm guessing that I'm missing 9. Does this match with anyone else?

Of course, the "1 of each card" achievment could also include number cards, at which point I say f-all to figuring it out.

16. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    ok, since there seems to be a lull in activity around here i'll ask a question that only the true believer in this game can answer. you'll probably have to reference the deck editor but i'd like someone to tell me how AntiGrav Mortar (green) works. he/she/it has no AP yet has SPLASH which means he fires grenades (not mortar shells??). i have NEVER seen him fire anything. also, the description says the rounds "deal 1 bonus damage". if he has no AP number what the freak is 1 bonus damage?

can anyone explain this guy to me? :D

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Buff his AP, and see that special ability put to good and destructive use.

(Not very fond of him regardless, but I figure he can do a good deal of damage in the right deck.)

18. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #218 Mack the Knife, Feb 27, 2014
    you mean i have to first give him AP with some other card before he can even shoot? that's kind of useless. he has to be "activated"? odd...this what everyone else sees?

19. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Is it one of those cards that attack flying units only? They don't show an AP number.

20. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Really enjoying this game, though Im not very far in.