Universal Calculords (by Ninja Crime)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Feb 22, 2014.

1. bgkoh

bgkoh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    #181 bgkoh, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    or, just buy some tanks! :D

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is one of the prime definitions of difficult ;) But yeah, I'm actually a good bit past level 5/6 already, purely from fighting Fancybot, and have been tweaking my deck to counter her strategies. I also follow every advice given by Seanbaby to the letter, as I explained above. So I am probably just on the bad end of a sadistic probability spread.

Basically, in every attempt so far, Krak empties my primary lane/s of my 5+ units every other turn, leaving me with no apparent way to make headway. I usually go down in less than 10 turns.

But I will not give up until chance or providence comes back to my camp again ;)

4. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm still level 3 but facing basically the same thing. He unloads a dozen units into the lanes and just overpowers the few that I can get out, even tanks stand no chance against fire from a lane jammed with weak troops.

I'm done gritting my teeth, there's challenge and there's bad design, challenge I love. Since the majority of advice is grind against Fancy, I'm just uninstalling this and moving on to better games.

To be honest it feels like a fremium paywall, it doesn't look like one, but it sure as heck feels the same way. I'm not buying cards and I'm not grinding against an insanly easy Bot just to build my deck 2 cards at a time.

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Every single win against Fancybot will advance you one whole level, which will give you more HP as well as the ability to draw more cards and more numbers at specific levels. You can also aim for the numerous achievements. You will likely need a maximum of 3-4 wins against Fancybot after level 3 to be able to beat Krak with great ease. There are only 7 opponents in this game. You're not meant to simply beat one and then forget him/her. They are meant to be replayed, hence the achievements and the card unlocks. Each opponent gives cards unique to him/her. Fair progression does not mean simply blasting through the game with such ease that you finish it in one sitting. If you're not okay with revisiting old foes then this game is definitely not for you.

As for iAP pushes, I am currently at the final battle without having purchased a single iAP and within only 5 hours of playtime.

6. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Grinding is a crap mechanic and achievements are the stupidist thing gaming has ever introduced. If Fancy Bot wasn't such an utter bore to replay, and he is, I'd keep fighting him, if I had enough cards to shape my deck and strategy I'd keep playing, as it stands I can't control much of anything so why bother?

Fair progression means moving forward against a constant challenge, getting stuck is just fine with me, I've beaten some of the most difficult games ever released, but screw back-tracking to grind so that any progress can be made or any meaning full deck building can take place.

7. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Perhaps it's because I'm used to playing games with a random component (civilisation, roguelikes etc) but when Krak gets a couple of good starting rounds, or I get a poor start then I just hut the restart button and try again.

I'm not going to waste my time playing a losing hand when i can just start over and get a strong start

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, there you have it then. This is not the game for you. Cya.

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I was just gonna post the same thing. :D

10. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    #190 Topherunhinged, Feb 26, 2014
    Yeah, I've bailed on this for now. Maybe after an update, or once the rapid excitement runs down, I'll pick it back up. It has given me the itch to play a deck builder though so I'm off to play some Phantom Dust.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Don't pick it back up! The game requires explicit grinding. Even if you buy packs you have to grind opponents to get more copies of them. Seriously, don't play this game ever again.

12. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Haha.

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    No joke, it's serious advice.

14. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    #194 Topherunhinged, Feb 26, 2014
    It amused me.

Anyway, I see there was mention of a reset for battles. That's a handy little feature.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    If you don't grind for levels and cards then you can retry all you want but it will all end the same way. Still not the game for you.

16. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    #196 Topherunhinged, Feb 26, 2014
    I'm hoping that it'll either get updated or better strategies for deck design will emerge and help smooth out the wrinkles. The game is clever enough to warrant that, at least on day, if I ever do play it again... which I'll decide for myself.

*the reset is definitely a nice touch. I played again and still lost, of course, but it's a pretty nifty little design feature and one that I haven't seen in any other, not sure what I'd call these types of games, games on iOS. It certainly mitigates the frustration a little.

What I'd really like is to gain some experience from my losses with Krak. It seems really odd not to accrue anything.

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    If yo're looking for a deckbuilder, there's this game that's out on Android right now, and should be out for iOS sometime soon, called Card City Nights, I believe.

It's been getting some positive reviews here and there, and it's NOT IAP-driven at all, so that might be your cup of team?

I also enjoyed Spectromancer HD in the past.

Well, enough off-topic :)

I have a hard time playing this game because I always force myself to clear all the numbers, though sometimes it doesn't seem possible.

In your experience, is it always possible to clear the numbers, or should I just accept and move on?

Also, should I focus more on playing the right cards, or getting the Calculords Bonuses? I find that in many cases the cards I play are dictated by how I can arrange the numbers to get rid of them all.

And final question: in your opinion, what's more important: playing more cards in the same turn, or - again - getting the bonuses?

Apologies here, but I'm looking forward to diving a bit more into this game, and your experiences would certainly be helpful! :)

Cheers.

18. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #198 ScotDamn, Feb 26, 2014
    I've had my eyes on Card City Nights. Indeed it looks to be excellent!

Regarding Calculords, in my experience, It's always been possible to clear the numbers. Whether by using negative integers or reducing numbers to get one or zero.

You should always go for the bonus in the first turn. After that, you can usually deploy the rest of the cards with the second set of numbers.

Right now, I've set my deck up at a minimum of 30 cards with lower numbered units which has made it easier on me.

Sorry for the late edits!

19. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    #199 Topherunhinged, Feb 26, 2014
    Thanks, I might check that out at some point.

Anyway, I pretty sure it's not always possible to clear all the numbers, I believe they're drawn semi-randomly from your decks pool, in the deck builder window; deck design is supposed to help make it easier to draw numbers which you can clear but I don't know.

I also think you're better off going for the Calculord bonus, at least the first one, since it'll let you place more units on the field and subsequently play the right cards but I think sheer numbers might outweigh other strategies or at least mitigate them.

20. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    ^That might be the part of the issues you're having if you can't consistently clear the first set of numbers.

Also, good to know, there are two different bonuses. One for new numbers, and one for new cards.