c, or c++?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ktfright, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    to learn obj-c, i need either to start making a game. which should i start with. all i know is simple java, very basic!!! no one has given:( a straight answer.

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I took a different path then you, but I think you should start learning C++. It may be a challenge, but it won't take much afterwards.

3. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    did you have any past experience with c++, and do you have any tips for a new dev like me?

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'm not an iPhone dev, but I tried to learn C#, and it was a horrible experience. I haven't looked at C++, I know that it is far more common, but just play with the SDK, and see what you can do. C++, and some books looks to be the way to start.

5. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Well, this isn't any more straight. Both.

Generally speaking, C will give you a better understanding of what you're doing with the computer and compiler. C++ will give you conceptual tools to work with said things "better". I put that in quotes since C++ can be a "can of worms" for some people.

If your goal is iPhone, you'll likely do yourself best starting with C and ObjC, since C++ is a third wheel at this stage. An understanding of pointers and memory is essential for working with OpenGL, and many API's.

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I got a C+ in AP Comp Sci... if that's any help..

7. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    If you just learn C your going to miss out on the whole object oriented programming stuff... which is a big part of the SDK, I would say go with C for a bit to learn about code logic and pointers and such, then learn Obj-C or C++ for a bit concentrating on objects... try to learn the distinction between programming without objects and programming with them... it's easy to get confused when starting out.

8. Andres

Andres Member

Dec 25, 2008
    good luck

I'm currently reading How To Program: introducing c++ and java third eddition my older brother recomended it to me to start out , he said he'd help me learn to program and understand how to use c++ after and during the time I read the book. Now I'm not sure but would a computer engineer know how to make games using c++ cuz if they can it won't be too hard for me to learn since he's a computer engineer. But even if I do learn I have chosen to wait two years since 1) I'm underage and can't use my own name2) I have to wait till I work to buy my own mac.