But we could get ports of console games...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 6, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Considering the nature of the App Store, we probably won't be able to get our own, exclusive, console quality games for quite sometime (if ever). But perhaps we could get ports of the games made for consoles? Porting a game is much cheaper than making one from scratch. Since all of the graphics, animations, and sounds are already made, only some converting and rescaling would have to be done, and the developer could still make some extra cash even if they sold the port for just $9.99 (eg. Chinatown Wars).

What do you think?

2. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    When you say 'console' I guess you mean the PSP?

If so then, yes, ports are extremely likely in the future.

Prince of Persia is actually a port of a PS2 game!
    So we might even see some more of them.

Looking forward to seeing what will be ported in the future.

3. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    They need to port the original Crash Team Racing game

4. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    What about Chaos Rings? I thought it was a iDevice exclusive?

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It is but it's hardly comparable to the newer final fantasy series..compared to ff7: crisis core on psp, it's a joke.

6. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    And crisis core when compared to the main ff series is a joke. Anyway, the wii has much better games than any portables.

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    After we get a port of Fallout. :D

What?? Chaos Rings was great.

8. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    FFVII on itouch would be pretty epic!

9. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Infinity Blade?

10. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Uhh, so? What makes the Wii any less of a console? Just because it doesn't have good graphics doesn't mean it can't have good games with as much or more content than a PS3/360 game.

11. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Not a port, but yes, the engine is currently being used to *possibly* make a Gears of War for the iPhone.

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    "They" got better things to do and/or bigger fish to fry. "They" are multi-platform console devs, not developers of mobile gaming. "They" are much more interesting in creating console games that will retail for 59.99 a piece, and if they manage to hit the jackpot by selling between 1 and 3 million copies, they could potentially bank a 100 million-plus.

The potential of a few hundred thousand dollars in appstore profits, at best, doesn't really compare in terms of the big picture. The risk here is far greater than the reward. In other words, 9.99 just isn't enough of a ceiling to convince "Them" to give a damn. Could they do it? Yeah, but why would they? Where is their motivation? The high-end profits for them lie elsewhere.

If you want significant participation in iOS development from a wide range of major, established, multi-platform/console devs, you are going to have to up the ante and prove to the gaming industry that you are willing to pay more than 9.99. Premium games from premium developers are going to cost you a premium price. And that's just all there is too it. And when I say Premium, I'm talking somewhere within the range of 29.99.

Otherwise, you end up having to settle with what EA is doing. Yeah, they are delivering marquee games for 4.99 a piece, but these games are missing modes and/or content that you would otherwise expect had you purchased them for a console. Like FIFA and NBA Elite both lacking any sort of a franchise mode.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The ds and pSp versions are missing modes too, and cost like 30 to 40 bucks, so what ea is doing for the price is still amazing. I don't get why they even bother.

14. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Yes, I don't think that big dev teams and big publishers know what to do with the igaming market. Few numbers made public was too huge to not make the giants quote it and wonder what to do.

I don't think they know for sure any detailed money statistics because Apple doesn't divulge them and only very few dev divulge rarely one isolated information.

On the other hand the prices evolutions in App Store has gone crazy, it seems more since last month. Sell games for $.69 (Apple part removed from $.99) when they was used to sell games for $12 (retailer part, fabrication and stock cost, and distribution removed from $40) seems not like a huge challenge but just another job.

Sell numbers that could be higher for such lower prices can hardly balance anything. From $12 to $.69 you need sell 17.5 more units for the same income. The huge success sell that high than 10M to 30M, meaning that at a price of $.99 you need sell them from 175M units to 525M units, yes half a milliard games sold. I used $.99 as the price tag for igames because EA USA does ton of $.99 sales.

So sure igames is an additional market and could mean more income. But there's no need to think too much to worry to sell games at $40 for public price and hope continue sell them as well when on a very common device you are going sell very close games at $.99 public price, one or few years later.

The point to realize is that this year the PC/Consoles gaming industry seems have decrease. Is it coming from a global crisis or what is the influence from the imarket? If EA bought Chillingo and Playfish it's clearly because they are seeing clues of a possible coming gaming evolution. But those steps clearly show that their idea isn't at all to have similar games released on idevice that are similar to AAA games released for PC/Consoles.

15. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #15 Stirolak26, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    Whats weird is how some games that were multi platform came out for every device but the psp, heck even the idevices seem like for a while (probably more so now) were more profitable for companies than even charging ppl 40 bucks for the psp version of the game. I don't recall specific examples but I believe a star wars game or some Lego wars game didn't make it to psp and a bunch of games including elder scrolls and a new earthworm jimm being canceled as well.

16. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    We do have a lot of console ports already. Red Star, POP WW, Rayman 2, GTA CW, assassins creed 1&2, Robocalypse and Settlers iv among others.

17. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Agreed on both points. I never finished crisis core before selling my psp, I'd love to see it on iPhone too... After Fallout :) although preferably the modern Bethesda take on the series for my taste. There's no disputing the turnbased awesomeness of F1 and 2 however.

I think Chaos Rings is def in the same league as CC quality wise. Not play-time wise of course.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ah, I was trying compare portable games only since console games shouldn't really be compared to handhelds.

Yes, its one of my favorite RPGs for the Idevice. What I wanted to say is that companies that make RPGs on other devices like SE should spend more effort ok the Idevice. I mean chaos ring priced itself at 12.99, which was a first and no one can deny how well it has sold. SE and other companies should bring more RPGs of the same caliber to our device. I mean if you look at SE's other games for the iPod besides CR...and the ported FF/FF2, yeah.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If by joke you mean "actually entertaining," I'd buy that. Crisis Core is one of the worst games I've every played on any platform.

20. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Crimson Gem Saga is a port of a PSP RPG. Other ports from PSP include FF1 and 2. In the works are ports of Secret of Mana and FFT: War of the Lions.

There are also a lot of older games ported over, such as Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 along with a lot of SEGA games.

Certainly there aren't a lot of newer ports of games (Crimson Gem Saga being an obvious exception) but I'm honestly happy to play games I missed out on playing before (especially a lot of Square Soft/Enix stuff).

Speaking of which, I hear there's a Chaos Rings 2 in the works and assuming that Aralorn lives up to the hype then that could end up being to the iDevices what the Elder Scroll series was to the PC.

And this is just from what I know on the RPG-front (which is mostly what I've been interested in lately).

I agree that I wish more games would be ported to the iOS but I find it very unlikely that a newer game would be ported from another console (especially a "competing" platform like the PSP or DS) if the title is considered to be somewhat 'exclusive' to that platform. I have no idea how this all works because some games have come out on iOS that are pretty new that came out on other platforms (like Crimson Gem Saga or GTA: China Wars).