iPad Bust-A-Move (by TAITO Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Squeaker, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #61 5duc29, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    If you guys are on the fence about getting it, there is no need for a lite version, go to the arcade games in a pizza restaurant and try it out for a quarter :D

The graphics in this game are fine to me, the music works well in the game..

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Don't want to risk it; might get burnt.

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The only way this game could be better is if you were playing it while listening to Young MC's classic Bust A Move..."So come on fatso, and just bust a move".

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Any original sounds? That's what will make it a buy or not for me, as long as it has the original "Reeeaaddyyy...Go!". I'll get it... Somone who has it, let me know!

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    They're there.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    They do say "Reeeaddyyy...Go!" before the beginning of each stage.

7. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Awesome thanks guys, I'm sold, one last question... Color blind option?...

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm pretty sure there isn't unless I missed it.

9. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    No worries, thanks for the info, I'll be grabbing this right about......
    ......NOW!

10. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    yeah, if it isn't obvious, most if not all of the complaints are coming from the people that bought the semi-rip off that is snood. people that paid 4 dollars no less, for a basic free flash rip off of the original master. and i hope to god that the people making complaints about the graphics aren't the ones that supported snood. i don't even have to elaborate beyond the fact that one looks like a polished official title, and the other looks...well, gee, like a basement flash game rip off. if you bought snood and you feel a bit disappointed that this one came immediately right around the corner, do your best not to knock BAM for said reason(especially those that haven't done anything beyond looking at screenshots for god's sakes...). this game plays and sounds just as smooth as i remember it growing up. a must have app, and arguably the best match three the iphone has to offer. i'm glad i waited a couple days :D

11. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Snood is cool as well, no need to knock that to defend BAM :D

I have Snood, and will buy BAM, just as soon as the bloomin' thing is available in the UK store!

12. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I had bust-a-move on psp, played it on a ps2 and in arcades in the past. I thought the colors here look a little more pastile. The bubbles in this version looks less... popalicious somehow... :D

13. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I bought Snood but was sorely disappointed. It just doesn't have the same "feel" that BAM has. I prefer BAM alot more (maybe it's 'cause I semi-grew up with that game...).

14. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    hey, i've had plenty of fun with the snood series since the beginning. charging 20 for it on the DS, and then 4 on the iphone is just wrong to me. this is as blatant as a rip off can get, and they're charging a bit too much in my eyes for what should always have been a free or extreme budget title. for one dollar more you get the real deal. there's no contest for me. bring on the flames if you must.

this is the post i made a mere hour after snood came out in the snood thread

i'm still surprised i didn't have to wait that long. and now i'll be getting back to blasting some bubbles.

15. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    true, they don't have that same glass ball type of look that they normally do, but this isn't the first time they've strayed from the original graphic style in the series. it's still looks beautiful in motion, and all of the classic music and sounds are intact...it's pretty much everything you'd want in an iphone BAM! needless to say, it's very polished and taito has delivered once again. :)

16. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Actually I take offense that you complain about people knocking BAM (I didn't), while at the same time knocking Snood and those who enjoy it. At the very least you could explain (as I have wanted) what makes BAM different from Snood - does it have a danger meter? How do the game mechanics work? What are the physics like?

Snood actually looks pretty good on iPhone. I liked the puzzle/strategy element to Snood (on the puzzle levels). Is this the same as in BAM? I'm not convinced the scoring is the same in Snood as it was on the full version (it's still centred around how many Snoods you use to complete the level), as I thought there was a bigger penalty for continuing. I still have yet to touch classic mode, with the puzzle mode keeping me busy.

Snood may be based off of BAM, and maybe even a blatant rip-off, but I think it adds enough to keep it different. To be honest I haven't played too much BAM to notice, but I'd like to know what sets them apart.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm all about the powerups in my Bubble Shooters, so what does this have for powerups?

18. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Ready?.... GO!

Ok so I haven't had very long to play but I don't need a whole lot of time for this review. This is a perfect version of puzzle bobble/bust a move/bubble bobble (that's what I call it even though bubble bobble is more a platformer style game)... It lives up to, and surpasses the original and that's all I was really looking for.

When looking for a match 3 game, there are a few types out there, but most of them get their roots somewhere, and this my friends is where it began. Bust a move! I can't tell you how much money I must have spent on this title as a kid, and this version does not disappoint me one bit! from the original looking Bub and Bob sprites all the way down to the original sounds!

Now there are a few other "clones" in the app store right now, but really none offer anything really different... I haven't tried snood, but when I heard this was coming out I figured I might as well wait for the original... I have played Bubble bash by Gameloft and for the price I would say it is, in terms of gameplay, just as good as this, and it may have a little deeper story line, but I could be wrong. But when it comes down to character, for me Bub and Bob were a part of my childhood growing up, and like I said I have more fond memories of me playing this in the arcade with friends (2-player) then I do of school.

In terms of controls and gameplay, you can't go wrong. You can either "tap and shoot" or the "slingshot" control method.. I personally prefer the slingshot method as it feels more liken to the arcades.. Graphics are good, with clean art styles, but I was a bit dissapointed that the backgrounds are very basic, but then again it doesn't detract from the gameplay which is what it's really all about.

I haven't had a chance to check out the multiplayer yet, but I'm sure it's excellent, really the only things I would change would have to be the text in the help and menus is very plain and boring and could use some type of graphic font, and a colorblind mode for people like me who have a tough time on some of the colors.

So in the end if your looking for just any type of game like this and you've never heard of Bust a move, I would say go for Bubble Bash as it's only $1 (as of time of writing) right now, but if you have played the original and liked it, as much as me, then this is the one you have to get.

*Would I buy a replica Shelby Mustang when i could get the original for just a fraction more? :rolleyes:;)

19. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    1. Star bubble - Pops bubbles of same color
    2. Large Bubble - Turns bubbles into it's color
    3. Metal bubble - Goes through all bubbles
    4. Rainbow Bubble - when connected bubble dissapears it turns into that bubbles color
    5. Bomb Bubble - Destroys small radius of bubbles
    6. Line bomb bubble - Destroys one horizontal line of bubbles

20. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    To answer a few repeating questions:

Bust a Move bubbles move down after a certain number of shots (sorry didn't count) like snood, just doesn't have a danger meter, instead the bubbles shake and you know its coming. So you do have to be careful with your shots.

Plenty of powerups like someone else listed.

Physics off the wall are the same, just don't get bonus points for them so if its score only that you are after you won't get as high a score in this as snood. You have to be just as precise as snood to sneak the bubbles in the gaps.

Graphics are a bit more muted than other versions I have played but then again it IS a great game to have in my pocket and for that I am grateful.

Now a major problem - has anyone else had any crashing problems? Particularly on level 1-5?

Everyone is commenting on the graphics and what not, but I for one am upset when a game doesn't perform. I have tried to get through 1-5 four times and its crashed at various points each time. Ok, no biggie if I have to reinstall since its only on level 1, but its the principal.