Universal Bumpy Road - (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Absolutely loving this game im a big fan of endless runners and this is in my top 3 . Loving the control mechanics im using the 2 thumbs way on my iphone it works a treat . Congrats to the development team on a job well done :)

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks! I love this kind of detailed scoring and the titles now explain some of the pictograms I couldn't quite guess at! I clearly need to do some edge hanging!

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

This game is a hoot and a half (a strong claim, I know)!

I love how, even though both "Evergreen Ride" and "Sunday Trip" feature randomized courses with the same basic gameplay, they're pretty unique beasts.

Evergreen Ride: It is all about getting the points! Your score is a combination of the distance you traveled (before running out of fuel or falling in a puddle), gizmos collected, and all of the things you did on your trip (bonus stages triggered, springs bounced on, pictures found, edges hung off, etc.).

Sunday Trip: This is all about completing the trip (a set length but still in a fairly randomized course) as quickly as possible. In this mode gizmos and stop watches will help you reduce the official final time of your trip. The sporadic turbo boosts icons can be used to give you a little extra momentum. Since this mode has no hazards you will always be able to finish your trip, it is just a matter of how efficiently you do so. I love how this game mode has you constantly weighing cruising the course as quickly as possible with going slightly off your ideal path to snag some extra boosts, stop watches, and gizmos.

4. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I think I figured out where the "problem" lies control wise.

When you press underneath the car (for accelerating to the left or right) it sends you jumping without the payer wanting to do that. In the trailers it seems that a swipe gesture triggers the jump move but a single press on the ground will make you jump also. This is the confusing part since it would be a better idea to jump when you want to jump.

Hope it makes kinda sense but I think that if they could change that (pressing underneath/ground will give you that pianoroll look but instead of jumping you stay attached on the ground, you only jump when you perform a swipe movement)

keep in mind that the text above is aimed @ one-finger-gameplay

Nevertheless, it's a great game and even I, a total stranger am proud of you guys :)!

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think this needs to be fixed. It would alter the core mechanic of how the player interacts with the road and overall just make the game more complicated. Ideally, you should be keeping the car more or less in the middle of the screen. This way you can touch the road at the left or right side of the screen without affecting the car, then roll the bump towards it, pushing it forward or back without a jump. This is also how you take long leaps over holes/puddles, get your car riding on the front of the "wave" then flick your finger underneath it quickly and it'll be launched forward.

6. Ninjagorilla

Ninjagorilla Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Trust me, we've been through lots of control iterations - Touch with flick, multitouch, touch + tilt, touch + tilt only in air, etc etc - But finally we distilled it down to the absolutely simplest way to play this game, to make the controls as transparent as possible.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Finally watched the video and this does look fun. Am mulling it over....

8. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    This.

All I'd like to see in this game are power-ups. No clue what kind or how they would work. Also enemies of some sort would shake things up a bit.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The game is just BEAUTIFUL and real fun to play in the bus. IMO the controls are great as they are: easy to learn, real tough to master. I haven't heard the music yet (I play without headphones in the bus and don't want to disturb the rest), but I'll check it at home. If it's done with the same love as the rest of the game it must be great too. Nice work! I like the scenery change, but I have just seen it once because I'm a disaster ATM. Still need to get more practice :p

10. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I hope it's just a coincidence, but suddenly game center won't let me log in. My best score so far in Evergreen is just over 7k which, despite being less than a third of the current #1 score on that list, was at around #5 the last time I was able to check (about an hour ago).

I wouldn't know who to contact over this type of mistake, but I'd be willing to make any gameplay video that you or Apple would deem necessary to restore credibility in the event that my scores continue to climb (or for any current scores), though I'd prefer not to. I have a solid grip with left thumb and right index that makes it possible to plateau a bit once I get in the flow.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think you need to worry, Ninjagorilla was sitting at 12k himself last time I looked. 5k is the achievement and I got that on my third attempt, so I'm thinking the hacked scores are gonna be siginificantly higher.

12. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #132 Grubjelly, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    Hopefully the fact that my Game Center log-in window has a constantly spinning loading icon is no indication that some mistake was made on the part of whomever is attending the "hacking/pirating" previously referred to by Bumpy Road's developer "Ninjagorilla."

Is anyone else able to reach the "my games" panel in Game Center, or am I suddenly locked-out?

edit:

Based on a comment someone made in General Game Discussion, this may just be a case of Game Center being down for maintenance.

13. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    My gamecenter is also not working. I have tried it with many games, and it is very inconsistent. It works with doodle jump just fine, but I can't connect when I'm in bumpy road or infinity blade. It is also not working with the gamecenter app.

14. ak47killa

ak47killa Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I love this game . Its fantastic it should climb the charts even at a price of $2.99. Looks like we got some cheaters already on Game Center already two people have .10 seconds on the sunday trip that seems kinda impossible.

15. Ninjagorilla

Aug 6, 2010
    Game Center has indeed been down for everyone during the day... Seems to be back up. No worries - your score will be posted next time you start the game, as long as it was saved in your local high score list (tap the kings crown on the main menu).

16. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    My wife bought me this app as part of my wedding anniversary present - 15 years of marriage - Having played it I can't think of a more appropriate game to be playing today...what a wonderful gem of a game....

17. Ninjagorilla

Aug 6, 2010
    Aaaw that's the sweetest thing ever.

In other news:
    GAME OF THE WEEK in Europe!!!

18. Ninjagorilla

Aug 6, 2010
    Make that worldwide!

19. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Congrats Ninjagorilla. This is a special game and I'm loving it. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

20. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Just wanted to say, BR is az absolute gem. A very rare kind, actually. I don't know when was the last time I KNEW that I found the perfect game for the platform (maybe Helsing's Fire, and that was my GOTY last year).

Aside: next time someone (Iwata) says that the iOS needs needs some proper games, just show BR to him :p