Bumpy Road (by Simogo - developers of Kosmo Spin)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I love the Gameboy screens! A retro mode would definitely be a great unlockable, hell even an uber-simplified Spectrum/Commodore style would be fun to play. Bumpy Road through the ages!

2. Ninjagorilla

Ninjagorilla Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    #62 Ninjagorilla, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    For Kosmo Spin we tried to make something simple, but it turned out that a lot of feedback we we're getting was that it looked pretty bland. So we changed it for the first update. So it's relieving to hear that you guys like this icon :)

It's not very far off. A couple of weeks. We're trying to do our best to get it out as soon as possible, but I can't guarantee that it will be out this month.
    Wise words of Miyamoto:
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."
    Well, a delay is technically impossible since we haven't made a date official yet :)
    We just want to make sure this game is really really polished before you get your hands on it!

3. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I don't think that quote applies the same to iOS as it does to console games. Bad games on the iOS platforms aren't necessarily bad forever ;)

But for non-mobile systems, it's still a great guideline.

4. Ninjagorilla

Aug 6, 2010
    You have a point. It's a huge benefit to be able to update your game.
    But, that's no reason to get lazy! We're always aiming to have the full experience from day one. Everything added later is just icing on the cake.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was gonna say the same thing. Being able to update the game is a good safety net, but you shouldn't rely on it. If you do that just makes you lazy and you're obviously not too concerned about making a great game anyway :)

6. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Bad ratings at launch can kill a game, so I prefer to wait than to be disappointed.

Bumpy Road has an unusual gameplay idea (I'm always pleased with that) and the game is an horrible scoring one (you know, like the ones which never let you go to sleep :p).
    The random level-design with the art from Simogo is really pleasant when you push "play again" (again). There are some twists here and there, I'm sure people will enjoy them :)

7. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Looking forward to this!

This game looks awesome. I was interested before watching the videos, but now that I've seen it in motion it's moved to 'must-have' instabuy status.

Two questions: File size, and tentative release date? :eek:

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Gameplay looks superb!

9. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Speechless here. Though sound would have been nice.

10. OpticCrash

OpticCrash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Concept of the game is interesting, but the gameplay looks amazing.

11. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    I've been aching for this for ages! Can't wait to see some previews start trickling in...

12. Ghetto Waffle

Ghetto Waffle Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    I can't wait for this to be released! WHEN WHEN WHEN!!!!!

13. Ninjagorilla

Aug 6, 2010
    Preview versions have been sent out so there should be some incoming soon I hope.

That video is from this hands-on play:
    http://loading.se/news.php?pub_id=14900

It's in Swedish, but I can do a brief (but probably poor) translation of some selected quoutes...

"In Bumpy Road you are an old couple that decides to go for a drive (you'll find photographs that tells the story of the couple, pictures of moments, that you can later watch). You could call Bumpy Road an Endless Runner, but then you'd have to add that this game have controls that offers a different kind of learning curve that makes the game very satisfying to play. It's a platform game with momentum and dynamics without forgetting to love the player"
    Yeah, that last part probably sounds pretty weird in English :)

"There is no prettier on the platform"

"Collecting! Everything you do in Bumpy Road gives you points. To collect things (you have to do this to not run out of gas), to jump on buttons, everything you do in this game will give you points at the end of a round. It feels very rewarding, and it gives you the motivation to try and catch as much as possible"

"The controls, in which you touch the ground to create momentum, break, takes a while to learn. It's easy to get started and then you die. You think you're getting a hang of it. And then you die. But I'm learning, finding ways to use the speed, and reaching higher ground. I'm finding a rhythm before falling in to holes. And die."

And about release date. May.

I'll see if I can film something later. I have lots to do, so no promises :)

14. Ninjagorilla

Aug 6, 2010
  15. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    When Ninjagorilla releases a gameplay video, you only tell yourself "ok, I've to learn how to jump, I never bounced like this :eek:".
    Mastering the jump seems to be the key to reach high scores. The game reminds me a lot Tiny Wings: it takes time to master the gameplay, then you succeed to go far, then you die and then you tap "play again" and improve your score :D

16. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Music is kinda catchy. :D

17. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Haha, agreed.

18. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Wootness!! Their art style is indistinguishable.

When is it coming out!?!?!?!?!?!

19. Ghetto Waffle

Ghetto Waffle Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    I am excited to see a video of the iphone/ipod version. Even on a smaller device you can maneuver without your fingers getting in the way of the whole screen. What is going to be the release price?