Universal Bully: Anniversary Edition (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 8, 2016.

1. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    How well does this game hold up? I missed playing this when it first came out and to be honest, a lot of games don't hold up as well as they used too. Including Rockstar titles.

2. bangkokmag

bangkokmag Member

Apr 20, 2014
    It's quality. Plays better than I remember.

3. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
    #43 Bumpygames, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016

Attached Files:

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Did they add checkpoints to missions?

5. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #45 Gambler, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    So, I'm about 10% in and I'm very positively surprised.

As opposed to a good majority of modern gamers, I could never get into GTA. The first one was the only one I played through on my PS1 way back then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no hater or something and I bought GTA 3 and 4 just couldn't get into the games though. Graphics and atmosphere were always breathtaking for open-world games of their respective times but I just found the games too bland and repetitive overall, also the fighting and shooting systems really sucked, at least up to GTA IV (only played the first ten mins of the 5th part on a friend's PS4). Don't beat me up, but I found Sleeping Dogs to be much more immersive than any GTA for example.

Anyways, that's why I was hesitant to buy Bully in the beginning. The TA Review didn't make a lot of differences for me, after all, they're huge GTA Fans too. But the screenshots and premises just looked too interesting and tempted me into taking the plunge.

Didn't regret that for one second ever since. Sure there are "GTA-elements" (luckily without cars) but the fighting is much more interesting with the different moves, the school minigames are actually pretty funny and some of the (side)quests so far have been a real blast, egging students at halloween for example.

There are some collectibles and a few level up mechanics, like collecting flowers for girls and getting a health bar boost for getting a kiss after you gave em to them. Fortunately no guns or anything alike, wouldn't be too tasteful for a game playing in a school after all. Due to that there's thankfully also no overboarding bloody violence.

Encountered 3 bugs (freezed/crashes) so far but nothing gamebreaking. Just wish one wouldn't have to start at the beginning of the mission again. Manually saving is only available through some savepoints but the game autosaves after every successful mission.

Thank you so much Rockstar for releasing this gem now and TA for bringing it to my attention. The last two weeks were a wasteland in terms of good new releases and this will be great entertainment over the weekend. :rolleyes:

P. S.: Really happy for the Mfi support. Game's so much better playable with controllers. Looks like mfi is finally starting to get a little more traction (even if most mfi are games still are ports - Nevertheless, it's getting better).

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Good impressions Gambler!

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you're having battery issues guys (say you feel like playing away from a charger), turn clarity to low and shadows off. Makes a HUUUUUUUGE difference.

8. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    Does this also help on the heating ? My iPhone 7 Plus gets really hot while playing with the highest settings.

9. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Played all the Rockstar games on console, & iOS when they arrive. This for me came out of no were I'd heard nothing. Anyway the game, this might sound crazy but the game runs so so sweet on iOS.Thats always been my gripe with big games the controls on screen never quite feels as enjoyable as a DS4. Somehow Rockstar have made this game work and not just work but it's probably better in some respects to a joypad. This is a masterclass in game porting #rockstar

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Couldn't agree more. I don't know how War Drum Studios and Rockstar did it, but this Bully port even puts the GTA ports to shame. Totally outdone themselves.

11. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #51 Gambler, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Thanks a bunch :)

18% now and the game's still going strong. I'll just be happy when I finally have finished all my courses to be able to use more time for fist fights and going on dates with weird girls ("my aunt has 4 thumbs" anyone? :rolleyes:)

They don't even seem to mind when the main char arrives to a date sporting tighty wighties and an Eiffeltower on his head - Obviously very high standards :D

12. Cigarekt

Cigarekt Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    While we're at it, let's not forget about Squeenix as well- but I wholeheartedly agree that this Bully port is on a different level compared to previous R* ports. If their ports get exponentially better each year, I can't help but wonder how majestic RDR would play on mobiles =]

13. diovivente

diovivente Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Is anyone else unable to sign into the social club thing for cloud syncing? It just keeps telling me there's an error and to try again later.

14. Anothergamer

Anothergamer New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Hi

Anyone know if the iOS version has a restart mission option? On the PS3 if you fail the missions you have to always travel back and sometimes it can take a while and gets frustrating.
    Thanks.

15. Cigarekt

Cigarekt Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I haven't played this on PS3, but here everytime you start a mission the game autosaves itself. You can always load the autosave right after you fail (or if you think you're going to fail). Hope this helps!

16. Anothergamer

Anothergamer New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Thanks. I'll try and see if you can do it on PS3 too. If not I'll probably just buy it on iOS, because it's a quality game.

17. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Why doesn't the Taptic feedback feature work with 6s phones? Why only 7?

18. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    So they didn't just implement checkpoints?

19. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Log in via their website. You probably tripped a "too many tries" lockout and have to type in a captcha the game won't show you. Happened to me, and that was the message. After doing the web login I could log in from game again.

Also, their username field at least didn't used to strip spaces. If you use a keyboard shortcut to type your email/username you might have a trailing space and it'll prevent login.

20. kuryushibo

kuryushibo Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Because the 7s have a tapic engine that other iPhones don't have.