Universal Bug Princess - (by Cave) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 14, 2011.

1. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I get the crashes, but I play despite that. It's too fun a game to put down!

2. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I hope these patchable issues don't get it bad reviews :(

3. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    to answer my own question, with shoot off or with less powerful weapon you can get some more points killing the small things coming from the boss on that stage and get higher score.

4. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    This game is crazy! I love it! :)

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah plenty of rebooting. Might delete and download again to see if that helps.

6. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Yesterday I could play the game without rebooting at all. Today it crashes every 30 seconds even after reboot. Not very impressing, Cave!

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    no single crash here, great job Cave as usual, the highest difficuilty is so fun.

8. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Is the scoring system similar to other cave games?

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ok I'm very late to the thread (MMORPG - Dragon Nest) so, I'll dump my comments out:

Crashes when connected to internet. Openfeint disabled upon startup of the app for the first time. Able to connect with GC.
    -----------------------------------------------
    I hate bugs.
    Original mode seems to have simpler scoring mechanics than DDP:R and ESP2?
    BUGS! (in a technical sense, I'm referring to the crashes)
    Long loading screens (compared to previous efforts)
    A story I actually want to care about but can't understand (never finished or liked Bug Panic).
    Recycled bullets (the big-ish purple bullets)

I LOVE THE NEW GAME

10. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Bought. Still exploring. Great price. I can confirm that it's universal. First impression: FUN!!:D

11. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Incredibly basic scoring information thread is here.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=116825

Without the counter banking, this really doesn't have a very in depth scoring system, so the thread is thin on the ground until I can confirm counter banking and rapid fire tapping still works on the iOS port.

12. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Thanks Vally for starting that thread

I'm a bit supprised with Bug Princess's basic scoring mechanics. I guess I expected more from Cave.
    This might not be the best game from Cave, but its still worth purchase.. Even at full price.
    It would be great if they could make some kind of smartphone mode in future updates or adding more deep to scoring mechanics somehow..

13. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Mushi did have a very complex scoring mechanism in the counter banking / rapid fire abuse.

This just doesn't translate to touch screen controls, at all.

It's why I'm surprised they ported the original Mushi at all - Futari had much better scoring mechanics, even in original mode with the proximity system.

14. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    #114 drunkhobo15, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    cave upsets me with not understanding how elastic people's demand is on the app store. They would make boatloads of more money if they made this 99 cents or even $1.99 and we would have more players going for scores.

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's not a very good outlook on things. A well-known (good) developer will make a lot more money by being unflinching with their pricing - look at CAVE, Illusion labs and even Fishlabs to an extent.

People will buy games full price if they want them bad enough (hence the good requirement) if they know there won't be a sale.

16. drunkhobo15

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You are deluding yourself if you don't think that the demand for app store products is highly elastic. I would be willing to bet that for every decrease in the price by a dollar cave would sell hundreds if not thousands more copies and make up for the loss incurred by the lowering of the price easily.

All the top games are freemium or 99 cents and that isn't a mistake(although most of them are puzzle/highly simplistic games). Infinity blade 2/GTA3 not withstanding =X

I guess it doesn't really matter to me, I buy all their games first day at whatever price they set because I get a huge amount of bang for my buck.

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's precisely what I'm talking about.

This is why games without huge mass appeal (like CAVE shooters) are better off keeping full price. Those who will want them will buy them anyway.

Sure, I agree the App Store does have elasticity, but not all games are the same - mileage may vary and all that.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation, but I'm done detracting the thread. ^^

18. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    I think part of the reason is to not completely destroy their console/arcade sales. If too many people had the portable version, there wouldn't be much point in buying the more expensive versions.

19. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yes, I have agree with Echoseven. Here's a recent and very well put together article that argues both sides of the argument!
    http://playeraffinity.com/xbox-360-featured/why-all-games-shouldnt-be-60.html

Also, Cave seems like the type of dev who will most likely be unwavering when it comes to not pricing their games at a premium price due to the amount of work put into them. (IDK)

Sorry I'm late to the thread, but I've been trying to tend to the smaller titles. Been playing for a while and it's pretty awesome.

Also, a big thanks to Vally for all the help!

20. drunkhobo15

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well back on topic, anyone have any tips on stage 4 destroying all those snake things?