Universal Bug Princess - (by Cave) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 14, 2011.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Ugh...so it's probably not going to work on my 4G iPod Touch? :( Damn iOS 5. :mad:

2. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #62 spleen, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    It's a bit weird on my iPod, first few games (even on Hell difficulty) ran flawlessly, but now it's constantly crashing mid way through the first stage no matter what settings I use. Doesn't bother me though as I've just moved to playing it on iPad (2) instead.

My iPod is 4th gen, not jailbroken, latest iOS and has about 2.5gb free space (out of 32). I've tried closing all other apps and restarting the whole iPod numerous times but no luck. It's curious, because clearly it can handle the game. Just for some reason decided it doesn't like it any more.

3. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    With the same exact specs as you, even in terms of space available, I was expecting this, unfortunately. Seems like most games with any kind of memory requirement that pushes a bit just don't work with my iPod Touch any more. Yes, I blame iOS 5.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have an iPad to use instead. This is a tragedy.

4. baartlebooth

baartlebooth Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    The game is running well after a few crashes here on an ipod touch 4th gen latest ios.

It seems to be a lesser polish port than the other ios cave ports, I suspect a kind of strange emulation, the game runs better on a PS2 than this, but still, it's a real joy to see Mushihimesama back on a portable device .

The game is quite old and there was no HD treatment at all so those with an ipad 2 are going to find it kind of blurry.

As always if you want to fight against the original difficulty of the game , you'll have to play on hard difficulty, but for the rest all the mechanics of the original game seem to be there.

Now i really don't know if you're going to be able to "sky rocket" with the controls and how they've been implemented.
    With a specifical timing depending on your position towards an enemy, the player has to alternate between the 2 formations mode in order to drastically increase the score .
    "Sky rocketing" is the key technic to master scoring in manic mode (in original mode the scoring system is quasi inexistant although the bullets are supposed to be faster than in manic) wich is btw one of the most complicated score system ever in a shmup so the game won't be as "profound" as in its original form.

However, despite a few bugs , this one is another Cave gem (one of my favorite ) that has to be downloaded to your portable device RIGHT NOW

5. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Cave is an instabuy for me, but before I click on buy button I notice this warning on the app description:

* Please note this application is the arcade version.

Does that means that there will be smartphone version just like Espgaluda II and Dodonpachi? If so, then there will be another premium Bug Princess that will have arcade and smartphone version. And that's justify the current price.
    And there go my hesitation to buy. But then usually Cave launch at $4.99 then catapult the price.

Anybody know about this?

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah..this comment makes me wonder if there's another version in the works too...

7. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    How are the controls for you guys? On my iPod Touch 3G, they feel smooth but not as precise or responsive as they were in Espgaluda II and Dodonpachi. Is this just a result of the game running slowly, or do the controls feel different from usual for you 4G users too?

8. henrylkr

henrylkr Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Bought as soon as I woke up, and played it. Oh, how I played it. It's magnificent!

CAVE makes the best shooters, for sure.

9. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    I obviously don't know for sure, but it could be "as opposed to the PS2 version" (which had an arrange mode).

10. whatevax

whatevax Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    #70 whatevax, Dec 15, 2011
    Happy to see it's universal, although only some parts of the game are using HD assets, and most of the game scene are so blurry. But my main concern here is the slightly laggy gameplay and control. Don't know why, but it doesn't feel right, and it has a very different feel (in a negative way) when playing this on my iPad compared to playing Espgaluda 2. Anybody feel the same?

EDIT: Now it also crashed upon reaching Stage 4 (on my iPad) :(

11. plasmakirby3

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Yea, I have the same slight lag. Maybe it's just that our devices aren't powerful enough? But then again, the graphics don't seem any more intense than Espgaluda or Dodonpachi...

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    So it's a poor man's universal... I guess the HD version will be out later. I'm still waiting for DDP HD first though.

13. whatevax

whatevax Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Too bad if that's true. If I knew it would be like this, it should have been better to play a non universal one, and play it with 2x (the same thing I did for other Cave's games), for a better performance I guess. I tried to compare it just now by playing Espgaluda again, and it's indeed true that Bug princess is kinda lag and choppy. Movements seem to be slower as well... (due to slow performance on iPad??)

14. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Runs perfectly smoothly on my 3GS after restarting.

15. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    #75 medianotzu, Dec 15, 2011
    Yeah, what's with this? They aren't going to release another "full" version later, are they? Or a separate "Smart Phone" version?

Add: Just found this on their Twitter:

So this can't be the "full" version, right? Those things never go for the regular price of $4.99. The Esp. II SP and AC versions each sell for $3.99 apiece though. :confused:

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Definitely not at 60 fps on my iPad1. But I don't think it is too laggy.

17. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Well it crashed for me the first time i ran it! :( I just turned on wifi and let the game be on the title screen for awhile to let OF load and GC load.. after that it hasn't crashed for me yet. The first stage goes by sooo smoothly, but as soon as i reach the boss, it gets laggy in movement. Although i did notice the bullets don't slow down even during the lag, only the rest of the animation lags. Weird thing is, i played a stage in the score attack and suddenly the lag in the normal run reduced for me. Atleast that's what i feel. The game is GREAT :D It's also more difficult than i thought XD Can't even clear Original yet on hell Difficulty :(

18. plasmakirby3

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    I unlocked ultra, and gave it a shot on hell difficulty. Maybe next time if I'm lucky I'll get past stage 1...

19. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Haha and what about the original mode?

20. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    I second that! It's freaking annoying to deal with all that OF crap even if you chose to turn it off.