Universal Bug Princess - (by Cave) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    A few notes on this one:

Weird port. The autofire / tap-heavy scoring system hasn't transplanted at all, so there's no screen mashing to take into consideration (thank ####!)

Changing difficulty actually seriously affects scoring potential now, whereas in Dodonpachi and Espgaluda I didn't feel like there was any positive scoring side to increasing the difficulty.

For example, score attacking stage 1 maniac on this, I was lucky to hit 1.4mil on Normal. Playing on Hell, I'm now 2nd on the leaderboards with 2.8mil.

Because I don't think the autofire/tapping scoring system from the arcade Mushi has been transplanted, scoring is now a very simple affair on this with very little explanation necessary, unless someone can prove me wrong that counter banking is still in it?

2. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #42 Vally, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    In fact I'll summarise scoring very quickly:

Original - Essentially no scoring system. Everything you kill drops gems, pick them all up to add to your gem counter, which subsequently increases score. Gems are lost upon death, so kill everything and don't die.

Original mode bullet patterns are quite quick, and actually 'aimed' towards you. There are still curtain fire patterns there, but you have to get your dodge on.

Maniac and Ultra - These two modes share the same scoring system. When you're shooting stuff, your counter goes up. When you're not shooting stuff or there are no enemies on the screen, your counter sharply drops.

Trick to scoring in these modes is counter maintenance. Don't go completely balls out with attacking everything all at once - Slowly sweep the screen of popcorn enemies or smaller enemies and this'll stop the counter from decreasing so quickly.

Big enemies that you have to focus fire on will give you a massive counter boost, and when they're spawning from the top of the screen, they have a small invincibility period on them so be brave and point blank them as soon as you see them for maximum pointage.

All 3 modes - Play on the highest difficulty you can handle. The reward is a bigger scoring pay-off.

3. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    Looking forward to this when it gets released! :)

4. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Insta-buy !!

5. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I just wish all these Cave games weren't such blurry messes.

6. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    out in Europe! Downloading...

7. hotpotty

hotpotty Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Australia
    #47 hotpotty, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Unfortunately - well for me at least - Bug Princess is unplayable on my iPod touch 4G due to crashes, and partly a disturbingly large OPENFEINT banner across the title screen (the main issue is the ludicrous crashing, though) - even after saying NO to this service!

And I love CAVE shooters. DAMNIT :( Makes me want to cry.

8. Stereomastery

Stereomastery Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not sharing your problems, I own an iTouch 4G and this game runs perfectly.
    It's only crashes when viewing Game Center or the History page, other than that I've been playing it for a good 10 hours now and it's been hugging me all the way.

As for the scoring system, this is totally to be expected, there's nothing weird about it. Playing on Hell-mode is just the games original bullet patterns and speed. Maniac & Ultra ARE the scoring real scoring methods for the people who get good at, the difficulty allows you to get better at the game with slower bullets and similar patterns before diving into the real deal.

9. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Can't wait to try out the new Mechanics!! :D Just an Hour more!!!

10. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    It runs slower than the other CAVE titles on my 3G ipod touch :( The graphics don't look muh different from Espgaluda II, so I'm not sure what's wrong. At the current speed, even the controls are taking a hit.

11. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I guess maybe it's because they are using higher res textures as people have mentioned her. The official Bug princess page too says it has higher res graphics because of it's universal compatibility. And why' isn't it out YET!?

12. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Hopefully, one more hour... they seem to release at 8 PM here. GMT -8 is my time, I believe.

13. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Oh yeah another hour~ Sigh

14. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I look forward to the initial rush of fighting for scores on a game most people haven't played. espgaluda and dodonpachi were fun release weeks for me before people started really perfecting their scores and pushed me down to the top 100 or so. I'm good, just not that good =D

15. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I will probably get good scores only after a few months haha. Just going to enjoy the Visuals and Sounds for awhile :D Am i the only one who plays CAVE games more for the artwork and audio-visual experience rather than the high scores?

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Gameplay on the iPad 2 is simply glorious.

The graphics however are awfully blurry and not HD by any stretch of the imagination.

On a side note, I really wish developers would either stop using OpenFeint all together or make damn sure that if we choose to not use it that the bloody feed bar, icon, and whatever else OF-related would be kept out of our faces.

17. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    downloading now!!!

18. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Doing the same thing here! Oh, I cannot wait!

19. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    No sir, you are not alone.

20. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    I do the same thing. I stink at CAVE games - but they are just too fun to resist.

Downloading now, by the way...