Universal Bug Princess - (by Cave) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 14, 2011.

1. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Having read a few posts on the forums where the core fans of this genre hang out, the general consensus seems to be it's difficult, even close to impossible to work the scoring system by turning your shots on and off the way you would on the arcade board or the console versions. They also don't seem to like how fast touchscreen controls let you move compared to the originals.

Not that it bothers me - much as I love Cave games I'd never be able to get anywhere near the top of any high score table whatever system the game had going, and I don't see anything wrong with using touch controls. If people want the 'pure' version of the game (joystick and buttons, original difficulty settings etc.) it's still out there, after all. I was just curious how the old school players would see the mobile port. :)

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    k... sorry if this has been answered already...

but... I just had to re-install Bug Princess after updating to iOS 5...

so...

does anyone know the quickest way to earn continues? I've got a big fat ZERO continues right now...

I think I got one every time I beat my previous score... but with my high-scores pretty high up there (because of the whole continue in level 1 thing...) It's basically impossible for me to do that now...

So... any tips?

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I think it works like DDPBD, where you get another continue on every other Game Over. I was able to build up a few continues by just dying on purpose in 4 or 5 games. See if that works...

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    haha... yeah... that worked... thank you so much. =oD

5. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    In case someone didn't notice.. Bug Princess 2 coming on iOS April 5. You have link of teaser in upcoming iPhone games section. As far I can see it will have deeper scoring mechanics and it will be supported on 3GS unlike Cave's latest release!

6. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    it looks just superb.

7. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    +1

Can't wait!

8. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    For those who've played this in the arcade, what is the difficulty setting?

Is it hell-ultra?

Or is it always hell but we can choose between beginner, maniac and ultra?

Or is it always ultra but we can choose between easy, normal, hard and hell?

9. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Don't toy with my emotions. I was so let down that DoDonPachi 2 was 3GS compatible. Very happy to hear this one will be. Saw the trailer earlier this week, and it looks fantastic! Cannot wait.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Original, Maniac, Ultra:
    • Original - Simple scoring; alternate between shot and laser, based on counter value to spawn über-gems. Global and local counters, both capped.
    • Maniac - Complex scoring; has the global counter, but maximizing the chaining counter is the primary scoring opportunity. Adds blue übers.
    • Ultra - Same system as Original, but with different timing values. Local counter is infinite.
    This is an oversimplification, but it should help to disambiguate.

11. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    On sale!, $2.99

12. blakedamon

blakedamon Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Bug Princess is FREE!!!!!!!!!

13. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male