Universal Bug Princess 2 Black Label - (by CAVE CO.,LTD.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I agree, they didn't even give the discount in the first days like the others. This is not for everyone, but I can't see myself going back to BP2 after playing BP2BL, it's unfortunate that so many people are used to disposable 99c games

2. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Don't like the pricing strat they're using but I was really waiting for this game so I went ahead and got it anyways. Will believe the fans that this is worth it and enjoy it :p

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Considering CAVE's prices are premium, they've always been generous with launch sales and whatnot...even with the HD/Universal version of DDP:R and when Espgaluda II HD went universal. Even if prices ranged from $5 to $15, people (me included...hell, I bought the 2 above mentioned titles twice...SD and HD versions) would pounce on these sales before even thinking about it...and that by no means, is a bad thing.

This release however, is just ****ing tainted in every single way. Considering this is (as they put it) an "alternate" version of BP2, there's no way in hell they shouldn't be expecting backlash. I get that this has never been released outside Japan and everything, but you can't expect people who have already bought the vanilla version of it and who really want this to just sit here and go "OH WELL, WHAT'S ANOTHER $15? DERP~!" especially with all that bloody IAP. Is this worth $15 ($14...whatever)? Probably, and I'm not asking for it to be cheaper...but come on...this is the one release they've ever had that needed a launch sale and would have certainly gotten Black Label more attention here.

I have yet to decide whether or not to buy it, but knowing how idiotic I am (and the fact that my girlfriend's not here right now to slap me across the face :p), I probably will and I'll probably hate myself for doing so.

4. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Oh well.

I think God mode is where it's at. Never played Futari BL before, but this mode rocks. 1cc-ed it on the first run, on normal, made 420 million, and I feel there is a lot to learn and improve. This version is the real deal; it's hard enough to taunt you while it's doable somehow. Highly recommendedd if you love the vanilla version. My only problem is that I can't see myself going back to the original.

Now Cave, if you're at it, how about a DDPR BL vesion on iOS!!?

5. Yeah, the only post I've seen on comments from the game is from syntheticvoid, so I guess he wins the TA fanatics of the month award or something. I even went in youtube, cause I too am a shmup fan like him, but almost nothing new so I can see what this game is about. Weird, Sanuku must be on vacation, or maybe he is broke so he can't buy this one.

Oh well, guess back to life, modern combat 3, real racing 2 and circus bunnies will have to keep me busy since I bought them yesterday, they rock. Hopefully cave will come out with deathsmiles hd black label, now that I would buy in a heartbeat.

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I feel pretty much the same way. God mode + Hell setting is pretty absurd, and lots of fun. I'm not an expert or one who makes the pro scores by any means, but it seems to me that this mode is, along with the Ultra/Hell mode in DDP: Blissful Death the toughest of anything Cave has put on iOS.

Also, Boss Rush mode is just a load of fun.

DDP:R BL would be :eek:. Crossing my fingers for that.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    DJ had some very useful impressions and posts in the first few pages of the thread, and someone posted a link to the differences between the 1.5 and BL versions that is helpful. It's a shame that anyone looking for actual game impressions has to wade through all of the redundancy of many many price-complaint posts.

8. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Here are the changes from the original Bug Princess 2 (reposting...)

9. zeth

zeth Active Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Seems like there might be some scoring exploits. Some of the individual stage scores are much higher than what's possible normally, but still kind of realistic. Could just be the advantages that come with unlimited speed, but 160mil stage 1 is double what the top arcade players post, and I don't think the touch controls can account for that much. I could be wrong.

10. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    1. How's the music compared to BP 1 and 2? Or is it exactly the same?

2. How does it play on iPhone 4? I tried DDP HD lite and it's choppy.

11. KingAlbestar

KingAlbestar Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Eldorado
    Can't wait for the download to finish, finally a black label edition on iOS!

Only complain I can think of after all the HD goodness we experienced we have to buy another SD version and wait for the inevitably coming HD ver later?
    Ouch, was really hoping for both to come at the same time, I know Cave is a small dev but they should better 'defragment' their release schedule or we'll end up buying the same game many times.

Still don't mind if it's Cave quality :cool:

12. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There most likely will never be an HD release, just like the previous BP games. The only reason they were able to make HD versions of DDPR and Espgaluda is that they already had existing HD graphics from high end console releases to use.

13. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Ok so I bit, and I don't regret it. I'm not very good but this is awesome, just unlocked God mode and I'm having a blast, but I do have some questions regarding some stuff:

- The scoring system in Maniac and God (is the same, right?), the point here is to have spread always and turn to laser when the bar goes to red, and nothing else? Is there something more to this? What does this do? I mean, I know that if I laser when the bar is not red I get the small gems, but if I don't switch to laser at all, is there such a big difference? (I haven't noticed but then mebbe im blind).

- Being not so good I decided to begin from novice (normally do from normal but never manage to beat the final boss, so yeah) to unlock every game mode. The best progression in order to get better is novice all 3 then normal all 3, or all difficulties on original, then all on maniac?

- If there are already 4 difficulties, why are there 3 game modes that are also difficulties? Other than the scoring change from Original to the other 2, what else changes?

- How many levels are there on boss rush? (As in, 1st grade until master grade).

And related to Cave games in general:

- Is there such a big diff from a normal version of a game to a HD one (tried the lites, and again didnt notice much, could be blind)? And why is Deathsmiles more expensive?

Thanks

14. Redstone

Redstone Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Hahaha yea, ok Cave. I supported you with every other release but this one.....I just gotta say no.

15. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#95 ednan, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    1- You raise the counter, using lasers when the bar is at the red zone gives more gems, therefore the counter goes up faster, when it is high enough for you taste, let the bar go away completely, and kill something that will give many gems with your laser. Each gem will worth the counter value and you score will skyrocket.

2- The best progression is the one you have fun doing!

3- Each game mode has its own scoring system, Maniac and God are almost the same in terms of mechanic, but God mode allows a higher multiplier and it's usually harder. Each dificulty option for each mode gives more customization and make the game easier to be played for anyone.

4- I did not play enough yet, but at grade five I noticed the mode changed from original to maniac, so, maybe 15?

5- The difference is huge if you play on a big screen, but on a small screen it is just crisper, I don't know if one would think it is worth the price tag for that (unless played on iPad). Deathsmiles is more expensive because it is overhyped IMO... I mean, it's good, but nothing special to make it more expensive than the other games, it's not even universal.

16. The hd versions are great on my new ipad. I love playing dodonpachi and esp 2. On my iphone, the graphics seem a little crisper, but the framerate doesnt seem as good as the sd versions.

But since I pretty much just play now on my new ipad, I wont even consider a program that is not at least universal, and I prefer hd at that.

17. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks, I'll wait for a sale on the SD versions I don't have then, no need for the HD :p

Also, wow, you explanation, I was missing the last part of it BIG time. I just tried it out in god mode on the 2nd stage and got 90m on that *alone* (which is probably not much for a veteran, but hell, 1st time I play a shmup looking at the score, lol), wow, just wow, the number splash on screen, the multiplier, all is just =O.

How does that counter explosion work in the original scoring? is there something like that or you just increase it with the switch?

18. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

There's no big trick on Original, you switch according to the color, and if you feel you are good enough, go close to the enemies before you kill them, if you do it right, when you kill it you'll receive blue gems which are better. Also, when the small counter reaches 9999 it start blinking, when this happens, big and medium enemies will shed gems while you shoot them (if it's not 9999, big enemies shed gems if you shoot close enough). Oh, and one last thing, the higher your counter, the harder it gets, so, if you are trying to survive, sometimes it's better a smaller counter =)

19. zeth

zeth Active Member

Feb 8, 2012
    There are high res assets for this game too. Mushihimesama Futari was ported to 360 with a standard "arcade" mode and higher resolution "360" mode. There is a possibility for HD releases for both Bug Princess games.

20. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

True, but unlike the Bug Princess series, ESPGaluda II and DoDonPachi Ressurrection were not universal