Universal Bug Princess 2 Black Label - (by CAVE CO.,LTD.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 22, 2012.

1. zeth

zeth Active Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Same here, I've put a few hundred hours into BP2 and I like Black Label 10x more.

2. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder if the other cave games will go on the usual launch sale to celebrate this one, would like to pick up a few that I do not yet have.

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Out in the US :D

4. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

5. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    $14 plus expensive IPAs jesus. Is this a joke

6. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    will pass on this one

7. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Should've been an update for the original version. Hell, I'd be okay if it was DLC for it. $6 for Black Label, along with the separate prices already seen for Boss Rush and customizations. As this is, it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

...That said, if they did this for DDP:DFK Black Label, I'd buy it anyway in an instant. Le sigh.

8. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Too bad I can't afford this one at the moment... what are the IAPs like?

9. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Game Impressions

This port is very true to the original Black Label and if God Mode holds true and the other difficulty levels scale properly, Bug Princess 2 Black Label will skyrocket to a slot in my top 5 games of all time on the platform. It's truly a masterpiece.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    It doesn't really matter, honestly; the core game is what you want. You get Black Label and God Mode in the price of the app and those are the reasons to own this version.

Half the IAPs are Boss Rush (bosses from Mushihimesama and Futari) and the other half are unnecessary cheats.

11. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Wrong. It's universal, not HD. Ddp and esp2 both have iPhone and iPad versions. I have both from each game. There's a big difference between universal and hd on the iPad. Ntm that I want retina graphics for ipad3.

12. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Djfippy, would you mind explaining the differences in the scoring system bewteen this and the vanilla version?

I see that there still is the green score normal shot/ purple laser thing, and the tutorial says that the closer from the ennemy, the biggest the drop. Anything else worth knowing?

There also is a shot off option: when is it needed to (i guess) milk the number of bullets on screen?

By the Way, for people hesitating because of the IAP, there are exactly the same kind as in DDPBD: you only need them if you want to cheat your way through the game, in which case this is probably not the game for you anyway. I admit I'm somewhat tempted to get some and breeze through the game to unlock every mode, but hey, if you breeze through a bullet hell, what's the point?

As for rush mode, I haven't tried it yet, saving my 1 play a day for later, but that's really not something that will change the game drastically. For now, I'll go with the cake without the cherry on top.

13. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#53 ednan, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    Here are the basic changes (taken from here)
    ==================
    CHANGES FROM 1.5>BL
    -Background colors were changed (e.g. stage 3 is darker, and stage 5 is at dusk)
    -Gem colors were darkened.
    -Every stage involves numerous changes in enemy patterns, placement, and bullet spreads. It almost feels like a whole new game.
    -Every mode has more bullets, and they are faster than in 1.5.
    -The bullet patterns of bosses have been sped up, and most boss fights are harder now, particularly in Maniac mode.
    -Shot types are no longer selectable, instead one powerful shot is available for each character (which are more or less combinations of Normal+Abnormal from 1.5)
    -God mode was added, Ultra was deleted
    -A new TLB "Spiritual Larsa" was added, only available in God mode. You must no-miss God mode (including the ST5 boss fight) to reach her.
    -Harsher penalties for bombing including a reduction of 6000 on the stage counter with every bomb in Original mode, and a zero end game bonus if you finish with no bombs in stock (see below).
    -Extends are different (100mil, 200mil for Original mode; 150mil, 250mil for Maniac mode; 350mil, 700mil for God Mode). The fixed extend in Stage 5 is the same.

BASICS
    Controls and so forth are the same from ver 1.5, so see that guide for details.

END OF GAME CLEAR BONUS
    Your clear bonus at the end of the game is calculated by the formula 10mil x XLives x XBombs. For example, if you end the game with 2 lives and 3 bombs, you will get a total clear bonus of 60mil (10x2x3), while if you end with 3 lives and 1 bomb you only get 30mil (10x3x1). Thus, you should suicide at the end of the last boss fight if you have 1 or 0 bombs in stock (and 2 or more remains) in order to get a higher clear bonus. Be aware that if you end the game with no bombs in stock you get zero points for your spare lives (as 0x10mil=0).

If you fight and beat Spiritual Larsa, your end bonus is DOUBLED. So there is a real incentive to fight her, if you want a top score in God mode.

SCORING
    ORIGINAL MODE
    -Change C to A shot every 3000 on the counter. The game sounds a chime when you need to switch.
    -Killing enemies at close range gives you more gems. Larger enemies "shed" small gems before they die.
    -When your stage counter maxes at 9999, the overall counter starts flashing. At this point, you get large gems to "shed" off of medium and large sized enemies. The tradeoff is the rank jacks up and the bullets start moving faster. The higher your overall counter gets, the faster the bullets become. Once it is over 100,000 things get very fast indeed. A 200,000+ counter is definitely possible though.

MANIAC MODE
    -When your chaining meter is flashing red and you use the C shot, your multiplier counter increases rapidly, much like Mushi 1. The further away you get from the target, the slower the increase becomes. This is very useful on bosses and midbosses, and large enemies. However, it does not work on some bosses (like the stage 3 boss).
    -Your multiplier carries over from stage to stage.
    -It plays the same as 1.5's Maniac in most other respects.

GOD MODE
    -Multiplier maxes at 30,000
    -Your multiplier carries over from stage to stage.
    -From 9999+ the counter will flash. At this point your counter will increase rapidly if you use the C shot, just like in Maniac mode. Also, when the counter is at this level it is actually more beneficial to kill enemies, except ones that produce a ton of gems, at close range with the C shot instead of pressing A when the chaining meter is flashing red.
    =====================

IMO the tweaked Maniac/God mode are so much better, the combo bar takes a lot more time to decrease, making it easier to score

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    damnit... after getting RayStorm and RayForce yesterday, I'm down to $10 in iTunes credits.

I know it doesn't say anywhere, but does anyone know if this is a launching price like they've done for all of their previous games, and if the price will go up? (NOT complaining about the price... just need to kind of know about how much I need to save from my next check...)

Can't wait to have this on my iPad. Bug Princess 2 surpassed ESPGaluda II as my #1 favorite Cave game a while back... which I NEVER thought would happen... but from what I've heard, Black Label versions are 100X better than originals... so I'm SUPER PSYCHED to snag this! =oD

15. ReddestDream

ReddestDream Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Student
    NC, USA
    $28 for the game + all IAP just seems like a bit much to a casual bullet hell player like me . . .

I typically buy every CAVE game I can find on the App Store (other than DeathSmiles . . . didn't like that one . . .), but this just seems like a bit much to me. I wouldn't mind $15-20 if it came with everything unlocked, but $28 is more than I've ever spent on any one App Store App EVER . . . Sorry, CAVE . . . :(

I guess I'll just wait for a sale . . . ;)

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

You really don't need any of the unlockable cheats... you get the full game for the 14,99, the rest is extra...

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm not a $1 scavenger either but this is taking the mick. I have every other iOS Cave game released, all bought on the initial release day but this game and it's price is a joke.

First Cave game I won't be getting. If it was a new game I would get it instantly but a rehash of a cave game I've already got at a silly price. Hell no

18. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    #58 Phoenix24, Jun 23, 2012
    Isn't the Boss rush mode one of the main features of the iOS version over the standard BP2.

Still unsure of this however having watched some of the vids can see that the game plays differently to BP2, and bulets seem slower- accepted that these are on normal mode.

After taking in the initial shock of the price of the game plus the non cheat IAP being $20, slightly warming to the idea of this version.

Interested to hear any game impressions of anyone who has never played a black label game before.

19. ReddestDream

ReddestDream Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Student
    NC, USA
    #59 ReddestDream, Jun 23, 2012
    Yes, but knowing me, I'll end up buying at least the extra modes ($21) and probably the cheats too after a while . . . :rolleyes:

. . . I already have the original, and I'm not that hardcore of a bullet hell player . . . I can wait . . . :D

I guess what would have made it more palatable to me would have been if CAVE had released this as IAP for the original Bug Princess 2. Then, I'd just purchase all the new stuff for $12-15 and call it a day! ;)

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    would up turning in credits over at FMA so I could snag this... I just kept looking at it and looking at it... I knew I was going to wind up getting it... =oP

Anyway... so far, I've only played a bit of the Boss Rush Mode, but the graphics look the same as the original Bug Princess 2 on my iPad 2...

And I was able to play Boss Rush Mode without purchasing it... I guess you get 1 play every day or something... or earn plays, I dunno... but you don't have to pay to play it unless you want to play it over and over and over again in one day...

But it keeps repeating... you start off in Grade 1, go through the 5 bosses, then go to grade 2, then 3... and so on... with your score carrying over, and the bosses getting harder and harder each time... I'm pretty sure you move up through the difficulties and modes... it started on Original, and then for Grade 5 went to Manic... =oP

Anyway... about to quit the Boss Rush Mode just so I can start unlocking the other modes, and hopefully have God Mode, or whatever the new mode is, unlocked by the end of the day. =oD

Love me some Cave Games... and I already know this is going to be worth WAY more than the $15 or whatever that I paid for it... =oD

WOOT!