Bug Heroes Survival Guide and Strategies [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by K?!, Jan 6, 2011.

1. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Whir the leaderboards can be cheated, nobody has done it yet as the devs pick offf impossible scores (Der-Kleine got 15,000,000 somehow). No, people are just really really good at this app.

And i know the insectopedia says burrow mines, but in real usage I've found that they're just not that effective.

The you probably shouldn't be playing on hard mode;) My advice is to buy Life support for Ant, make sure defending your stash is a top priorty, and avoid taking damage at all costs.

2. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    at the beginning of the game, I play as the spider, so I can up its assassinate level, and then I get its blades. I do this so I can beat the Armor Ants... does this seem like a good early strategy? thanks.

3. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    #43 Oxynidus, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    IMO, Spider's damage is already very good even without Assassinate, and can be improved by upgrading her weapon. Speed on the other hand, gives you much better mobility that can help in both defense and offense, as well as being extremely helpful for gathering food, completing quests, avoiding bullets and assassinating big bugs (Finding them, dodging their attacks and circling them).

4. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    alright, that makes sense. thanks.

5. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    But critical hits do so much damage... I like to level up assassinate because I can then cut down an armor any in one or two hits. Also, if your having trouble with armor ants, hide behind your base and shoot them with ant, then runaway when they get close. It is very inefficient but easy.

6. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    so are you saying that leveling up critical hits on the Ant is a good early strategy?

I have kinda done this, but I get overwhelmed quickly. however, my Ant usually has no upgrades, and is barely leveled up, in this situation... so how powerful of an Ant do you think I should have before I use that strategy?

7. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#47 Foursaken_Media, Jan 12, 2011
    Try 1-2 Sniper Turrets if you like being Ant but have problems with Armor Ants. Also the "lucky shot" skill is great vs armor ants... a lucky shot not only pushes enemies back, but it also pierces through all armor. The ability really gets effective at level 3+

And yes, Siege Maggots can be tough, mainly because they are somewhat resistant to MG fire, so you really need Sniper Turrets to effectively deal with them. But also you can use Beetle to swat them away (Adrenaline gives him greater knocking power), while your turrets do their job, or use Spider to slice them up.

Ok maybe Burrow Mines need a buff -- just buffed their cooldown and made it so they have a larger spread when thrown. They should now be a much more effective defensive weapon, as they were intended. Will be nice to really lay down some mine fields :)

8. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks for the info. I just think of another two issues:
    1. Have you ever met the problem of, e.g., purchasing five abilities for spider, but the fifth one cannot be equipped. Because it does not belong to the same type?
    2. Are you sure the Shield ability gives a permanent increase in beetle's armor?

Thanks K?!

9. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    1. You can only equip 4 abilities at one time, and you can't swap abilities if they're not fully recharged.

2. I'm sure, and it allows to to do a very powerful stun attack as well.

10. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#50 Foursaken_Media, Jan 12, 2011
    Exactly as K said... you can only equip that 5th skill by replacing a fully charged other skill. We did this to prevent people just buying like 8 skills and swapping them out one after the other continuously, juggling basically all the heroes abilities.

And yep, shield gives a permanent armor bonus. But note that armor is most effective only against smaller bugs. Larger bugs can typically pierce through armor, which is why you will need to use skill and dodge them with spider, use iron hoods special ability (reduces damage by 50%), or use warrior gauntlet (takes 0 damage for 5 seconds) to really get close to them.

11. broadpfc

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks K?! You are indeed the master!

Thank you Foursaken_Media for the accurate value. I wish them are said in the manual in the game. If I may ask, what is the next update going to incorporate, I really look forward to the Lookout Turrent and more heroes!

12. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Does anybody have a strategy to get past the first round of food eaters on hard? (I'm playing kitchen)

13. broadpfc

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    I think you may refer to round 3rd, as I remembered. It is tough. It really depends on which hero you favors. I like spider so get snare web, upgrade weapon one level, and maybe build up a zapper or a sniper at the base.

14. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #54 iJay, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    edit: posted in wrong thread.

15. broadpfc

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    Just hit the top on the coliseum (tree stump, easy mode) using spider :D

It is so intense that I didn't realize that I have 1,800 unspent and I go assassin cut without doubt. But the cut hit a tree and actually hit NO ONE. :eek: Otherwise, probably I can stay up to round 23, which adds another 2300pt. :rolleyes:

The key is the snare web, which becomes extremely important in the final round. I put two webs in the center and circling around the outer loop with high speed, waiting for the assassin bomb and cut to be ready...

Never tried ant or beetle yet. But I think spider is the winner as no one can sustain that many bugs... The only way out is to run from being hit and throw bombs to them...

16. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#56 Foursaken_Media, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    Alright, for you number junkies out there, this has been requested quite a bit. Of course all numbers are subject to change, as I am constantly tweaking values with each update to keep the game balanced.

Also my disclaimer: Please do not ask for value changes or balance changes based on this information... this is strictly for strategy purposes and analysis. Remember, things like cooldowns and many other factors balance out certain abilities, attacks, etc.

ENEMIES --

Name - Hps / damage / ranged armor / melee armor
    armor = a straight subtraction from damage dealt, unless there is AP
    * AP = can pierce through armor

SIEGE
    grub - 80/10/2/0
    siege maggot - 150/15/4/0
    giant grub - 240/35/10/10
    butterfly - 200/80/100/50
    grub launcher - 250/50/0/0
    centipede - 2000/55/2/0

RANGED
    army flea - 70/10/0/0
    army ant - 90/12/0/0
    pillbug - 160/3/6/10
    MG team - 80/13/4/0
    slug - 240/35(melee attack,AP)/4/0
    cockroach - 200/40(AP)/3/0

MELEE
    flea - 70/8/0/0
    ant - 90/10/0/0
    spike bug - 100/35(if you melee them)/0/50
    armor ant - 160/35 (AP)/15/15
    small snail - 240/40/4/5
    assassin bug - 100/60(AP)/0/0 (takes 50% damage from melee attacks)
    small scorpion - 300/30(AP)/3/10
    vampire bug - 400/55(AP)/2/5
    bumblebee - 800/60 (AP)/3/5
    giant spider - 450/0/3/10
    queen ant - 600/0/3/0
    snail - 1500/70/3/5
    elephant snail - 1500/70/3/5
    scorpion - 2500/50(AP)/2/0

ABILITIES --

ANT
    MG - 8 damage, 5 rounds per second, upgrade increases the amount of bullets shot per second
    Shoulder Turret - 1 damage, 10 rounds per second, ability increases range and damage by 2 for 15 seconds
    Burrow Mines - 100 damage each
    Plasma Cannon - 350 damage in an AOE
    Howitzer - 40 damage per bullet (pierces armor)
    Porta Turret - 4 damage, 5 rounds per second
    Better Base guns - 2x damage, 4x range for 20 seconds for turrets and porta turrets

BEETLE
    Stick - 30-50 damage, +10 damage per upgrade
    Shield Bash - 35 damage, 10 second stun
    Warrior Gauntlet - 120 damage
    Stampede - 160, 8 second stun
    Earthquake Jump - 12 second stun
    Squash Em - 650 damage
    Shockwaves - 25 damage each (is affected by adrenaline and you can hit enemies with melee and shockwave at the same time)
    Colossus - persistent +10 damage, activate to give +75 damage for 10 seconds
    adrenaline - +15 damage for 15 seconds (+ speed and melee armor)

SPIDER
    Swords - 35 damage per swipe (pierces through all enemy armor), +10 damage per swipe for four swords, +20 more damage per swipe for assassin blades
    Poison Cloud - 7 damage per second + slow
    Executioner - 200 damage
    Stick Bomb - 1500 damage
    Assassin Cut - 500 damage

TURRETS --

note: all turrets gain extra range and various other perks per upgrade as well, especially for the final upgrade

MG - 3 damage, 5 rounds per second, +2 damage per bullet per upgrade, +4 damage for the final upgrade
    Zapper - 10 damage AOE, 10% chance to stun, slows enemies to 75% move speed, +4% chance to stun & enemies move 4% slower per upgrade
    Sniper - 80 damage (with armor piercing), +15 damage per upgrade, +30 damage for final upgrade
    Bug Bomb - 200 damage to all enemies on the map, 12 second stun
    Firecracker - 30 damage in an AOE, +10 damage per upgrade
    Laser Turret - 30 damage (shoots in a straight line through enemies), +7 damage per upgrade, +15 damage for final upgrade
    Magni Turret - 40 damage per second in an AOE, + 10 damage (and AOE size) per upgrade

17. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    thanks! too bad this kind of stuff isn't available in the 'about' section of all games :)

18. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Early Strategy

What is everybodies early strategy? What bug do you use early? Do you put most of your money into your turrets early? Or not?

I'm curious to hear the different strategies. Thanks.

19. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Thanks for those numbers, I'll add a link to them in the OP. How powerful is Howitzer, and what about Better Base Guns?

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

I actually tend to use ant and spider more early, then switch off to beetle mid to late game. I also prefer to get a heavily established base defense before I really start buying hero equipment. Usually I fill up all 4 turret slots and go for 1-2 upgrades on each as fast as possible. I also upgrade my food storage fast and early so that I can stockpile tons of food for when things get tougher later. As for heroes, I usually buy equipment when I need it, as I come across situations.

@ K -- edited the post.