Bug Heroes Survival Guide and Strategies [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by K?!, Jan 6, 2011.

1. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    I disagree, I made it to level 11 with an upgraded spider ( normal mode)

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yeah Spider is definitely more a "finesse" hero. I actually think she may be the most powerful hero when used to her maximum potential, but also perhaps the hardest to use to that level. Beetle is more of a straightforward "Tank" type, and so may initially seem like an easier option.

Just as an example, with her assassinate ability (when doing a critical hit) Spider is dishing out around 5 times the damage beetle does in a single attack! Also her self defense skill is a nice bonus for clearing space up when there really starts to get hectic (self defense is basically like a damage-less AOE on her regular attacks). And of course she has many abilities which can quickly handle hordes of smaller bugs that would normally cause her problems, including poison cloud, iron hood, executioner, and a a few others.

3. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Hero? Does that mean you can actually play with that thing along with the rest of the bugs?

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    The platypus is an inside joke started by me and infamous. The platypus will never be coming for a host of obvious reasons (too big, not a bug, too powerful, ect.)

Also, what would you guys prefer to have me finish first?
    a) Description of every ability for Beetle and Spider
    b) maps of all of the levels (I zoom out using teleporter, take screenshots and then stich everything together so it looks good)
    c)descriptions of all the enemies

5. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Abilities. I'm skeptical about the usefulness of certain abilities, like Shockwave. Next would be enemies.

Also, can you talk about the attributes of different heroes?

6. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Abilities. The maps aren't that complex, and there are already enemy descriptions in game,

7. angelflames1337

Feb 24, 2010
    I love spider soo much, but I have no idea how to use him effectively. Any spider expert here?

8. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    I think I'm reasonably good with her (lvl19 in Colesium). Here are a few tips:

1. If you're playing in Colesium, get Ironhood. Those small bugs can quickly eat through your HP without it.
    2. Improve speed. I alternate between speed and assassinate. Self-defense is good against small bugs, but speed gives you better survivability overall, especially against bigger bugs and ranged bugs.
    3. Get Superior Assassin. It slows down time and causes more critical strikes, which makes it very effective against larger enemies.
    4. Circle bigger bugs while attacking them to avoid their attacks. This is much easier with improved speed and Superior Assassin.
    5. Get Poison Cloud. The best way to get rid of all the small bugs, and I believe it also reduces enemy armor.
    6. Get Executioner. It's a life saver.

That's all I can think of right now.

9. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #29 Simon Potticary, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    I know I'm a little off-subject here, so please forgive me, but I just wanted to say that I adore this game! And equally so the very detailed guide at the top of this thread - appreciated dude! I've always been a fan of iOS twin-sticks, but nothing has seriously moved me since Minigore - until Bug Heroes. But to label BH a twin-stick is a massive disservice, because it's so much more, and the levels of depth on offer here is quite unexpected! With the exception of some framerate issues, this exceptional little game is exceedingly polished for it's pricepoint too. For some, I might be way off here, but for me atleast, BH is everything that Dungeon Defenders FW wanted to be (and in all honesty should have been), but isn't. I can't wait for the planned updates, and I for one, am only too happy to support the developers with a peppering of 99c/59p IAP's if they felt so inclined. Oh, Game Centre would be co-ol too! I have an unexpected new favourite game. Gonna hit the colosseum now with my main Ant buddy inda house...

10. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Glad to hear you like the game and guide! I completely share your sentiments about the depth of Bug Heroes, and how awful it is to shove it under the dual-stick control scheme (not genre!) If you have any more feedback, feel free to talk. Also guys, I have heard your suggestions, and will momentarily add more abilities.

11. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    armor ants

what is the best way to take care of armor ants early in the game?

12. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Spider. Run up close enough to trigger an attack, dodge the attack, and kill it before it attacks again.

13. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Yep. Upgrading the Assassinate ability helps a ton too.

14. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    so which upgrade would be better (first), assassinate or the 4 blades?

15. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Assassinate you get from leveling up, four blades you purchase. So you could get them both at the same time, as they are both quite useful.

16. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    ahh I see. I'll work on that.

17. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    #37 broadpfc, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    The best game ever

The best game ever on my ipod. If I have to delete all the apps but only one, this is the only one. Please keep updating this game. I really look forward to new heroes.

I spent 5-6 hours playing it every day, mostly on the kitchen map. I HATE the grub launchers and the siege maggots. These two bugs are what I found to be the most dangerous types. I actually have thought of a good way to deal with grub launchers: put two Porta turrets at the right around the noodle soup. That place is way far to reach and kill when the base is already surrounded by tons of bugs. I read from the manual that Burrow mines are effective on siege maggots, never tried that yet. If so, indeed a cost-effective approach. Seems ant wins as the lifesaver aha.

One more thing, the ranking for the Coliseum mode seems to be on all the heroes. I think it would be more fair to calculate for different heroes. Please add more heroes, please.

18. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    First of all, I'm not the dev, and this should probably be posted in the main Bug Heroes thread.

Agreed about being one of the best apps.

5-6 hours each day? I think you play it more than the devs;) What's your name for the leaderboards?

Thanks for the tip about grub launchers. I'll add that to the guide as I always seem to have the same problem.

Agreed about the siege maggots as well! I've found them to be one of the toughest enemies. Burrow mines are a mismatched ability and are best suited for Armor Ants, however. I have yet to find a perfect attack against siege maggots, but Poison cloud, Snare Web, and a zapper turret can slow them to a virtual halt.

Agreed about Coliseum as well.

19. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    I use "broad" on the leaderboards. The leaderboards are already not that accurate now... as some people cheat, you can tell.

BTW, the update of v1.0.1 is awesome. Nearly all the bugs are fixed and the resolution is higher with retina support.

And also, I check the Insectopedia section. For Siege maggot, the best Counters include Ant Burrow Mines Ability and also Bettle Adrenaline Ability. :)

20. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    more food

I usually only last till about round 4 on Hard in the Kitchen... after the beginning of the game I just don't get much food. how should I go about getting more?