Bug Heroes 2 [Foursaken Media] - coming Feb 20!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Those 1 hour battles I would have in BH1, was to this day some of the best gaming I has done on this platform. I love all the details I'm hearing about the sequel, and I know these guys are going to knock this out of the park. I don't think this has been answered yet but is there a chance we can see this by the end of the year??

2. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Truth!

I keep trying to use the slide to dash move from monster adventures in Bug heroes haha... Not only bugs would it make sense for, but some quicker bugs it definitely would.

3. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    ^
    Passive ability maybe?
    Could put it into that ability slot (or whatever it was) for bugs like spider and other combat bugs

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Maps have a different design for BH2, because of all of the gameplay changes, new objective types, as well as the introduction of competitive versus gameplay. We actually also found that an overwhelming majority of players in BH1 played Kitchen, and pretty much stuck just to Kitchen when it came to Endless.

This time around we're going to spend more time on a smaller set of maps, and focus more on character development, rather than progression through a change of scenery, including persistent mastery levels, equippable disciplines (these actually change the way a hero can play, with both + AND - attributes), and even a set of global upgrades.

We're also trying to focus action a bit more in BH2, adding in more tactical elements that make it more important how you play and interact with enemies and how you use your heroes together, as opposed to more of just a cycle spam of abilities that BH1 commonly devolved to once you hit late game :p

Doubtful, we've got our hopes set for very early 2014 as of right now. But things are moving along nicely, so you never know! :p

5. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Keep it up guys!

6. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Gd job guys, thanks for bringing us wonderful game.

7. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    #107 GR3NADE, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    I still play BH1 and I play in kitchen (map) indeed :D

I loved to see in leaderboards in BH1 what heroes someone used to get that score and I hope it'll be in BH2 too.

8. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Random thought: We need more insect-related games on the app store. It's a fascinating world. I've always wanted a simulation/strategy game where you build an ant or termite empire. :p

9. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Sim Ant Redux! You are correct, Foursaken has their amazing take on bugs down pat... but managing a hive or a colony or etc... great idea!

I really wish I could figure out how to make games, I know Foursaken has their own engine they build stuff in.. but I don't even know where to start, I have installed/uninstalled/reinstalled Gamemaker a thousand times... but don't think I'll ever figure it out.

10. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    You know SimAnt? Awesome.

I'd think it starts with mastering a programming language. I myself am going down that path, though I have no idea how long it will take or what my chances of succeeding are.

11. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Definitely - we absolutely loved browsing through the leaderboards as well. It actually serves a good indicator for balance too! We're really going to try to have the same custom leaderboards in BH2 as well.

Heh, that was actually one of the original concept ideas for BH :p As for making games, the only way to start is to just jump in on some sample projects. Copy a template, or start with something simple. Main thing is to just stick with it!

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

[​IMG]

Another returning hero, Termite - now sporting a huge hammer that is a great disruption tool. We've also incorporated a popular request from BH1 with Termite's passive - if you attack one of his turrets, it will give it a damage and range buff, as well as restore some of its timer.

13. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    #113 Oxynidus, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    I'm wondering, how will the progression of difficulty be handled? There were some problems in the first game that broke it after a certain round, such as armor becoming almost irrelevant, and non-AOE melee attacks become too risky to be useful most of the time, which made some heroes much more useful end-game than others.

14. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yeah, we're well aware of that - though I can't comment totally because we're still working on overall balance. But for one, armor has been completely revamped. It is now a flat % chance to stop an attack - much more intuitive and will stay relevant forever (there is a separate defense stat that behaves more like the armor of old, which is still relevant for some heroes).

There is both light and heavy armor, as well as an associated Armor Piercing stat. Light Armor can be penetrated by a % of your standard damage + AP stat, making low damage units innately bad at piercing any armor. Heavy Armor can only be penetrated by AP, so a super heavily armored unit (good or bad) will ONLY be vulnerable to armor piercing abilities and weapons. Armor and AP both play a much a bigger role in BH2 than in BH1.

There is also cover in the field now, reducing the effectiveness of ranged weapons, as long as you're using cover appropriately. Ranged certainly won't be worthless now, but it won't be such a no brainer choice in most scenarios, as it'll be strong or weak based a lot on the tactical skill of you and your opponents. Basically, we've made the ranged vs melee dynamic more about skill and tactics :p

Other things is how the heroes work together. There's some really neat synergy that can allow you to break through barriers and scenarios that you couldn't otherwise do with just one hero. Ants mobile shield for ex... you can activate that, move him up while keeping your other melee hero inside of it until you're in range, and then switch heroes and wreak havoc in melee (while ant is still there shielding you).

Finally, one of the great things about pairing heroes down in BH2 is we can really fine tune each hero better... melee heroes will have better skills that allow them to "stay in the fray", in general.

15. GR3NADE

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Another hero coming today? It's been a week

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #116 Ayjona, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    This might turn out to be a small blessing for you fellas, then :) (For everyone involved, really, except for that dude who kept topping the BH1 leaderboards with ridiculously high and obviously fraudulent and impossible scores. What was his name again? Oxy something...)

17. GR3NADE

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    I don't know if we're talking about the same person but I remember someone who ended with nidus.

PS: don't feed the troll

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hmm, "Oxy" and "nidus"... nope, does't sound the least bit alike ;)

19. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Don't provoke me, young man. :p

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

[​IMG]

The Crab Spider, a defensive based hero with very high armor. His abilities focus on absorbing and deflecting damage, and also using the enemies own attacks against them. Toggle on Line Breaker for ex, and although he can't attack, projectiles from the front will reflect back at the enemies, damaging anything that is hit. Disarm is a skill based, timed attack that not only protects Crab Spider from both melee and ranged attacks, but disarm melee units that are attacking him - making them unable to attack for a time - and also reflects ranged projectiles back at the enemy with increased force and damage. Not devoid of basic attacking power, Shield Charge is a great way to bash through lines of enemies and deal a nice amount of damage.

Equipment wise, you can either round out Crab Spider's defensive capabilities with more armor and additional health while focusing your damage onto your 2nd hero, or you can balance him out with offensive equipment, making him a capable fighter.