Bug Heroes 2 [Foursaken Media] - coming Feb 20!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    It is never easy to try and explain the work of geniuses! :p

2. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    See, I always figured there was this giant jar with plastic toys (knights, bugs, dinosaurs, etc.) and another jar of game genres and then... Hey, let's pull out two genre slips today and then a toy and.. wala! Instant gold!

I played Bug Heroes last night and lasted to round 18 in 33 minutes.. I have NEVER made it that long before. That is probably paltry compared to others' efforts, though...

Will it be easier to share high scores with other Bug Heroes/Heroines?

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

What do you mean - in terms of like posting on Twitter and FB and stuff?

4. brothamannp11911

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't know if my FB friends care so much that I made it to level yada yada yada...

Man, if it could post to our Toucharcade forum or some other "destination of choice," like another forum or group or something... that would be cool, since this is the only spot I really talk about my nerd iOS gaming :)

5. WeMeet

WeMeet Active Member

May 15, 2012
    #85 WeMeet, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Only 1 legendary?
    Wouldn't this greatly limit strategical gameplay.
    Bc in BH1 u could place towers with ant place mines with spider and do that.....with that character ( etc ), u could always adjust yourself to the situation with different characters like using spider for heavily armored units and beetle for crowd control and ant for sentries and defending stash (but I guess one could still do that with 2 heroes). Can u also change skills? or does each character have a certain predetermined set of skills?

And Could u guys also please explain to me how one was able to gain the different armor parts for ant, beetle and spider
    I would usually get them randomly ( or so I thought). I remember how i was always so happy when I did get a piece of armor for the three characters because I believe that his feature didn't come with the other new heroes that came with later updates. so...was this secret feature or just a casual add on? And I think I was never able to attain the full set for any of the characters would love to see pictures of these characters equipped with the full armor set

6. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I think the armour was based on how much experience you had overall for that specific character. There are stats in the game that will show you how many overall kills, how many food pickups, and how much experience. Been a while since I looked that up, but I think its under the achievement area of the game (not Gamecenter, but ingame achievements).

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

In Bug Heroes 2, each hero is more specialized, because you have 2 heroes out at the same time - so you don't actually change abilities. In Bug Heroes 1 you were switching between 1 hero at a time. In BH2 you are strategically managing both heroes at once, opening up a lot more possibilities (flanking, covering fire, abilities working in tandem with eachother, etc), and also making it much more important to think about how your heroes work together, something I always wanted, but felt was lacking in BH1. Also I didn't like in BH1 how universal all the heroes were... sure Beetle was meant for crowd control, but you could gear up Spider to handle crowds AND dominate large enemies, taking away from the whole switching mechanic. Some heroes almost became a vessel just for spamming their abilities. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people play BH1 without ever wanting to or needing to switch heroes. In BH2 we've got a great control system I think for the dual heroes, offering pros precise, tactical control, and more casual players a more "set behavior and ignore" kind of thing.

Now, as far as legendary heroes go, having 1 hero out at once does simplify things, but that's the point ;) I would say a good player who uses 2 regular heroes will always have an upper hand against a good player using a legendary hero, because of things like map control, better collecting food and spare parts, more variety in abilities, etc (in versus mode map control is very important - there are strategic points that you can fortify in the middle of the map and build turrets on, which also increase your gold income). Legendary heroes are a bit more versatile to make up for only having 1 hero though.

Also, although you can't change abilities for each hero, there is now equipment to buy and upgrade while in-game. Each hero has 4 equipment slots: one weapon slot, one armor slot, and 2 "equipment" slots. Each hero has a variety of equipment to choose from that you can equip in your equipment slots, which act pretty much like abilities themselves. For ex Ant's automated shoulder turret (which was an ability in BH1), is now a piece of equipment that you equip.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This equipment system sounds awesome (;

9. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Love those features Foursaken!

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #90 Ayjona, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    In spite of all the advantages of the dual but specialized hero system, I still was fairly certain I would miss the great variety of Bug Heroes 1's very flexible and multi-talented heroes until I read this last paragraph. This equipment system sounds like a brilliant way to provide some of the variety of the first title, but with the kind of focused hero abilities that lends itself to more strategic choices, and that give heroes competitive purpose and balance.

(Though I will say that I actually liked the fact that many heroes could fulfill most roles in BH1. It was a refreshing change from the hyper-focused classes/heroes/champions/units that MOBAs and other competitive online genres have cemented into a gaming paradigm, and one of the features that gave BH1 so much character.)

For something completely different: might we see the Monster Adventures swipe to dodge mechanics in BH2? Of all the innovation that went into MA, this small addition might just be the greatest revolution :) , one that I believe should be a dual stick genre standard. That small manuever adds so much to the twitch-y-ness and opportunity for player skill, and will probably be very satisfying to make clever use of in online games of BH2.

11. WeMeet

WeMeet Active Member

May 15, 2012
    I wonder how the pvp mode will work
    Warcraft 3 had such mods where the enemy had to send creeps towards you to increase their income. This way one would have to balance the amount of creeps they would send towards their enemy with the numbers of towers they would build as to not get overwhelmed by enemy creeps

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Interesting... ironically I think that versatility took away from the personality of each character:p When everyone can be a "jack of all trades" hero, there's not as much to distinguish between eachother.

That being said, I think its important to point out that many of the abilities in BH2 are a lot more interesting and multi-faceted. For many abilities, it'll be all about HOW you use them, and in what scenarios. For example, Ant's shield generator ability creates a mobile shield that protects anything inside from enemy ranged projectiles, perfect for breaking through powerful turret lines or entrenched ranged enemies. However, on activation it also causes a powerful shockwave which knocks back nearby enemies, acting as a great "lite" crowd control ability if need be. With his Teleport ability, not only does it teleport and knock-back enemies that he teleports on top of, but it also has a chance to static shock armored enemies, reducing their armor (armor plays a much bigger role in BH2, btw).

As far as dash, can't promise anything right now. We're still experimenting with various gameplay things like this. It does have the potential to be cool, but it also has the potential to create some major imbalances.

In the end, we're really trying to evolve Bug Heroes, not just reskin the 1st with new graphics ;)

In PvP each side spawns a set of creeps every 30 seconds or so from their food stash, automatically. As you upgrade your food stash, you increase the strength and number of creeps that spawn, as well as adding to the different types of creeps that are able to spawn. You will still of course be upgrading your base turrets as well. Speaking of which, in BH2, you'll actually be collecting a 2nd currency (spare parts) to build turrets and upgrade your food stash, while your standard money will be spend on equipment.

There are also 'Mercenary Camps' spread across the map, where you can browse through a variety of specialized creep waves to spend your gold on.

While the main objective is to destroy the enemy's food stash, during the round you'll be mostly focusing on capturing strategic points. Stand near a strategic point to raise your flag, which opens up a turret slot you can fortify it with. More importantly, strategic points slowly increase your teams gold income. So there is this really cool "see-saw" type gameplay as teams are battling for control of strategic points.

13. WeMeet

WeMeet Active Member

May 15, 2012
    #93 WeMeet, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    WOW........ U guys are epic......money is going to rain down u four (or was it 5)

14. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    This sounds like legendary heroes needs to be buffed a little bit (wink)

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #95 Ayjona, Oct 24, 2013
    I'd say that from the perspective of a player, very much of their character was in their backstories, graphics, style and presentation. And the fact that every single ability, no matter how mechanically off-key, seemed to bear the signature style and motif of the hero who used it.

But mechanically, yes. That's inevitable. I said it contributed to the character of the game, not the character of the characters ;) There is, of course, a reason these highly specialized 1-passive-3/4-active ability character/unit/hero/champion designs have become so commonplace as to represent a new paradigm for competitive gaming. And that is precisely why such extremely flexible and varied characters made BH1 something out of place and very unique.

But also something probably not very well suited for competitive online play. So I am in no way lamenting the changes, or suggesting BH1-like mechanics for the sequel. Just conveying how the uncommonly ability-laden heroes of BH1 represented something kinda refreshing and very enjoyable, all the better for going against popular trends. To create a balanced competitive online environment, of course BH2 has to be a little bit streamlined. Though I'm happy to say that by your description, it sounds like not much.

There is not a single part of that paragraph that does not make me even more excited for the game :) Together with the equipment mechanics you described above, I've no doubts every single bug hero will still be very multi-faceted and hardly ever grow boring or too predictable.

Yeah, at this point in the development process I suppose most suggestions are just drops in an ocean and abstract at best. Well, should the mechanic still prove viable once you get closer to a finished product, consider this a fervent voice in favour :)

Preachin' to the choir ;) I was the guy who kept suggesting a MOBA-inspired online mode (which from your description, incidentally, turned out very much like I hoped and proposed :) ), and among those who flippantly threw other rather radical changes for a sequel out there with abandon. So for obvious reasons, I could not be happier with the choices you seem to be making for BH2.

All of this not only sounds like incredibly deep for an online competitive mode in an iOS title (not to mention durned cool), but like the kind of innovation and alternative approaches that I believe desktop MOBAs could benefit from as well.

16. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    I'm going to need some horse tranquilizer because I am just too damn excited about this!

17. WeMeet

WeMeet Active Member

May 15, 2012
    Ayjona u made some really good points

18. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Freezing myself. Melt me when the games out please.

19. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #99 7lilwhitewolf7, Oct 24, 2013
    ^ Yoga Fire or Yoga Flame?
    Awards 7 documentaries should stack up nicely for you Four. Everylast idea i had for H&C yall answered 7 now you bend to tons more!
    Golden Stoked Award

20. brothamannp11911

Aug 6, 2011
    BH1 success!

Tonight, on normal, I finally made it to round 20. This may be a small feat for many of you Bug Heroes, but it was my first time, 37mins on Attic with Spider (lost her early), Termite and Ant. Spammed turrets. It got so crazy, then the Centipede came and... done. Truly a great game. I bought the last two DLC's and love the new maps and turrets, heroes..

Will the maps be similar in scope as BH1? Anything unique to share about them this go around?