iPad Brothers in Arms

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 1337brian, Dec 2, 2008.

1. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    The quality of the video is so poor in the first clip you can't tell anything about the graphics differences between the two.

The levels & gameplay look identical - which is true of any port.

2. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    i dont wanna spend 10 bucks if it has no replay value
    im sure they wont add a new campaign
    just like asphalt
    but as least asphalt has multiplayer!

3. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Yeah i couldn't find another good comparison video, the graphics are a little smoother but really other than that it's pretty much a direct port. Why couldn't we get a port of the superior PSP version instead, the iPhone could easily handle it I'm certain by developer claims on the graphics capabilities :D.

4. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York

Didn't Cube kinda prove that wrong?....

5. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Pretty decent game with good graphics that lags only when the scene is large. Controls could be difficult for some and it takes some time getting used to. Biggest downside is not being able to run-aim-shoot at the same time.

6. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Considering cube was ported by a small team not a game development team dedicated to the portable market; also cube was considered a tech demo and nothing more showing that something like that could be done. Listen to John Carmack, a graphic tour-de-force is in the works and id never disappoints, if id says this thing can handle some dreamcast level graphics it's in the hands of the developers to have the team and talent to make it happen ;)

Maybe on a price drop I'll give this a try, if it's the same things as DS/N-gage it wasn't that amazing, maybe addition of some sort of multiplayer or something to add replay value would be a plus.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well even if it is a direct port of the DS ver. I'm happy to pay $9.99 Vs. $30.00

8. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Though you do get multiplayer on the DS which hopefully we'll see an udpate on the iPhone for that :).

Seeing as this was originally a N-gage game, ported to DS, then ported to iPhone I would hate to pay any more than $9.99.

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Really? I didn't know that. Well I doubt this will get wifi, but that would be a pretty awesome update. I would even pay for it as an "expansion".

10. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

It might be convenient to point out that "3D Performance" isn't a magic number that's simply better or worse. Instead there are many different factors in the hardware that contribute to the whole, such as:

- Geometry performance (calculating polygon positions)
    - Fill-rate (drawing pixels)
    - Texture memory (how detailed vs. blurry the imagery in the game is)
    - Image-quality features: filtering, anti-aliasing, MIP maps etc. (generally this stuff reduces flickering, jaggies, noise etc.)
    - Bus speeds (how fast you can load new stuff)

When it comes to all of the above, the DS is by far the weakest (no texture filtering etc.). PSP whoops almost everything else out there when it comes to fill-rate, and probably has highest geometry performance.

So when Carmack speaks of a graphical tour-de-force, it doesn't mean you'll see a game that makes magic and beats the PSP in everything. It means id knows exactly what the strengths of iPhone's hardware are, and how to make a game that makes the best of them. For example, a straightforward first step to making an iPhone game look good is by using (comparatively) detailed textures, since the MBX chip has excellent texture compression features. iPhone also supports bump mapping, so any surface detail will likely be much nicer than in PSP games if that feature is used.

It's all about matching the type of game you develop with the hardware you're developing for.

PSP: You can draw lots and lots of polygons and still maintain a high frame rate, but texture space is limited.

iPhone: You can draw less polygons, but create good image detail through high quality texturing.

A great visual experience in a game requires understanding the hardware, creating the right kind of game engine, clearly telling the artists their resource budgets (how many polys, how big textures), setting a good environment premise (tight corridors are a great way to avoid drawing too much stuff) and finally having artists with a good sense of style.

Many DS games are shining examples of getting a good visual experience out of limited hardware through great art design.

So the next time, before just noting that the graphics are "good" or "bad", look a little deeper and try to consider if the graphics have merits in their art design, technical implementation or both.

Future iPhone games will look better, but more often it's not because the developers squeezed "more performance" out of the hardware, it's because they prepared content that is a better fit for what the device can do.

11. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    If that happens, kiss your battery goodbye.

Isn't that really the only thing that holds the iPhone/Ipouch back from becoming a great gaming device? Battery?

Controls are a small issue, but the battery is way too short lived for me. And that's without online multiplayer.

12. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I am really enjoying this game :) I found the best controls for me was 2 pads and tilt. Much easier.

13. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I agree, great game, worth 10 bucks.;)

14. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Unlikely there will ever be a multiplayer update. Historically, Gameloft just don't do that kind of thing. Once their game is out, there won't be any huge updates to it at all.

15. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    this is kinda a dumb question but is there a way to make the difficulty on easy? im stuck on the first level (lol i know) on normal and i dont how to make this easier

16. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    No, but once you beat a level you can replay it in VETERAN mode, note there is a button on the description.

Are you failing at the tutorial???? What don;t you understand??? maybe we can help you

17. Chang3r

Chang3r Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    They have just added multiplayer for realfootball2009 all tho that was promised from the start. would be good to see for BIA we can only hope.

I've only played BIA for about an hour but seem to be great game. i will definatly be getting into it when i get time.

18. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    The realfootball09 multiplayer is kinda disappointing, as it's only local Wifi and not online play. But it's a start. Doubt gameloft is going to go further than that though.

19. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    Having played the game and beaten some of the levels. I can say this game kicks serious @$$. Not only is this a great game, but it will show developers who have sat on the fence to see how iphone does in terms of high quality graphics. Plus, it will show developers there is huge money to be made in developing for iphone. Look at the performance of this game its been out what three days and has already broken into the top 40 for iphone games.

20. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    O ok thanks and i just beat the tutorial and crossing corners level too so its all good.