iPad Brothers in Arms

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 1337brian, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Yes, but there is fire on both sides. It is really a non issue.

2. No I do not want it like Cube. Cube was bloody awful. Tilting to look around yes, but not as sensitive as that "game". Plus Cube only allowed for walking forward. When PhartGames release their zombie fps you'll see how I want a fps/tps to control, as that does it perfectly.

3. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    #63 darwiniandude, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    For anyone on the edge, I'm going to do my own video, with the dual D-pads, showing high lights from a couple of levels. Hopefully be up within the hour.

EDIT:

Crap! Going out to dinner :( I don't want food at a time like this! :) Later...

4. Thanks. That would be very helpful.

5. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Ha! Phartgames. Just the name implies sophistication and finesse...Ok, so you want something in between total tilting controls and pure virtual d-pad movement. Seems logical. Maybe the dev will hear your plea and issue a third option for controls. It might happen...

6. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

#66 along123, Dec 2, 2008
    I bought it as soon as I check out the video. What you see is what you get. On the video it seems easy with the control but needs some getting use to. I have problem with the touch viewing control. Now, my neck feels a little strained from playing the game. I'm also already used to playing Cube on the iPhone and felt a little awkward playing BIA. Sometime, I feel a little frustrated with the control. Frankly, I felt the game a little underwhelming. I'm not sure why. The graphics seems okay to me. But, I guess I need a couple of missions more to really feel for the game.

Maybe, because this game is set at WW2?

Maybe, this game is not so tactical as Tom Clancy's Las Vegas, or like GOW2 or Fallout or Far Cry or Army of 2 or even Call of duty 4. I think this is the first WW2 game I'm playing that's why? LoL.

But, hey there's always first time for everything right?

In all, I think if you want a shooter game on the iPhone then definitely buy it. It's only a freakin $9.99!!

:cool:

P.S. Makes me yearn for more FPS for the iPhone!

P.P.S. Maybe it's also because I'm used to the xbox trigger for playing FPS?
    I didn't really feel right playing FPS on the PSP either!

P.P.P.S. I have played through some of the missions and now definitely
    gotten used to the control and now feels at home playing it. Gotten more fun!

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Now, I can't wait for Heroes of Sparta :D

8. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    What a great game! Gameloft really delivered with this one.
    Sure the controls take a little time getting used to (personally I like the dual d-pad configuration with motion sensor deactivated) and the WWII setting is way too overused but who cares? This is a frickin 3rd person shooter for the iPhone! I never expected something this awesome, heck I didn't even bought my iPhone to replace my PSP but a couple more titles like this it and it will become obsolete.

9. davidtouch5

davidtouch5 Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Wow really good game, its graphics are as good as a PSP's is. Controls are OK not great but not bad it takes time to get used to the controls. So far its not too hard but not too easy. Now it needs ONLINE Multiplayer without this I dont see me playing this again but who knows? Its like how many times are you going to play campaign? If this gets online multiplayer it could be my favorite game in the app store

10. Trunx

Trunx Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Just downloaded it and here are some of my first impressions:

- Same version as on Nintendo DS and N-Gage - bummer. If you don't know them: You're a lucky guy

- Dual Analog Stick Control is awesome, I want a FPS with that. Bummer: You have to release one button to shoot, so it's more a "run and shoot"-game then a "drive by miami style"-game

- Grafics are good, but not awesome. The draw distance is bad and some lagging is still there. Not as bad as with the DS-Version, but the iPhone is capable of so much more!

- The intro video is non-skippable. And the grafics in this video make me HUNGER! They look beautiful, a pitty they did not make it in this quality in the iphone

- Works fine on 2.2 on my non-JB-iphone 8GB 1. Gen

- Motion Control is ok, but not necessary. Good for the grenades, bad for movement

- You get a lot of game for 7,99€. Three campaigns with a lot of levels

- Soundtrack and Voice-Acting is good. No voiceover in the cutscenes, though. Feels uncoherent

11. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've just played the first level with default controls but I like it so far.

just a note, the first time I played it I was able to skip past the video, but not the second time. oh well.... we've got a real iphone shooter now. checkpoints and all

12. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    What do you mean "first level" the first level of one of the 3 campaigns or the first full campaign???

Sorry, I;m just worried about the game's longetivity or whatever its called

13. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I have finished it. Pretty awesome game. Default control is best as you tend to hit target faster. The last missions are the most intense as explosions are going off left and right and more tiger tanks appearing and the framerate seemed to hold steady even with all going on.The snow environment is an eye candy too ( i think they change their uniforms in this level but i'm not really sure)

Now Spoiler!!!!!
    For anybody who has also finished it, could you tell me if the unlocked M1 Garand can be used as a standard assault rifle or is it just as grenade launcher. I am really disappointed here. I really dislike the Tommy Gun in all games (weak and ugly looking gun) and was waiting the whole time for the Garand or Shotgun but all they allowed was a lousy B.A.R. and Grenade lauching M1 Garand. That sucks. Altogether, awesome game. I got about 3 1/2 hrs from it on normal difficulty.

I am on Iphone 3G, 2.1 firmware, jailbroken.

14. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    #74 pablo19, Dec 2, 2008

Woah, did you just play 3 anda a half hours straight? must be pretty awsome game.

But whats the replay value in your opinion??? Any other game modes???

15. Freeway82

Dec 2, 2008
    #75 Freeway82, Dec 2, 2008
    No not 3 straight hours but i was paying attention to the time. I started at 11 am (German time) and i finished around 9 pm (same time zone) i was doing other things in between. The replay value isn't so high but you can play on two other difficulties, Elite and Veteran (there are achievements for those) or you can try to unlock some of the achievements, which are handful. I really enjoyed the driving sequences especially the Recon Car (escaping German strongholds with your comrades or chasing escaping enemies is awesome).

Buy it, it is better than all the crap, pile of faeces, put-three-in-a-row puzzle games that are polluting the appstore being sold for 4,99 Euro.

This is a full fledged game that could also appear on a console with the same plot and time. It has loads of things to do, not just shooting your assault rifle the whole time. It's diversity will put some console games to shame.

P.S. No other game modes but could be added in the future through updates.

16. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008

Cool, Downloading now. I speak german so I thought those screams in Arns video were pretty cool and realistic. BUt I wonder if anyone is annoyed by them who doesnt understand them (i'd be pretty pissed :D).

Danke

17. Freeway82

Dec 2, 2008
    Bitte schön. Ich erkläre gerne, wenn ich in der Lage bin. By the way, they abused the words ''kraut'' and ''jerries'' in this game, lol.

18. firteen888

firteen888 Active Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I just have a few questions to ask before buying:

1. If you die halfway through a level, do you have to start all the way at the beginning of the level or do you start from where you died?

2. Can I save at anytime or just in between levels?

3. What happens if I get a phone call in the middle of a level? Or if I hit the home button in the middle of a level? Can I pickup from the exact spot I left at?

I want to get this but I get annoyed at games that don't allow you to save at anytime, especially since it's on a phone.

Thanks guys

19. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    There are usually 4-5 checkpoints per level, and Gameloft is very good about restoring you to the same spot after an interrupt, although I haven't actually tested it yet. I don't think you can save manually, though.

BTW, STP's got a gameplay vid up with sniping and tank scenes, if you'd like to see more of the game.

20. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    hey can anyone help me im having a problem
    i downloaded the game and booted it up excited but now it just kinda hangs on a black screen without doing anything. i tried rebooting already

does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix this?
    thanks