iPad Brothers in Arms

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 1337brian, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

istopmotion: to answer your question, this is basically the Call of Duty for iPhone.

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Ok thanks a lot. :).

By the way, if I don't like it, you owe me ten bucks. ;)

Just kidding, lol

3. ibone

ibone New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    boston
    So just bought and downloaded Brothers In Arms. It is 80 mb, and it is pretty fast. I don't think the screen stumbled once on my 1st gen 8g iphone the whole way through the 5-10 min. tutorial. The Tutorial is set up as a mini mission to complete to introduce you to the controls and the game in general. It is effective at that goal.
    The video that was posted to Touch Arcadea few days ago was actually the intro video. As you can see, quite polished. The game of course is not that polished but as one reviewer said it destroys any WWII shooter I have played on my DS.
    You can move anywhere on the playing field using the multi-touch controls. anywhere on the field you don't have access to is blocked by a fence, bush, etc. There are a few unique controls like sliding with your back to the wall across the front of a building, peering around the corner, and then stepping around the corner to fire rounds at the Germans.
    The mission is easily marked out. Once you reach one small check point the next, with its direction and distance pops up. The ability to switch weapons is an easy touch on the upper left part of the screen, firing is the lower right corner, movement is the lower left, and grenades are upper right . By moving the virtual analog stick on the lower left and swiping up, down, left, and right you have access to x,y,and z movement pretty fluidly.
    That is all I can think of right now. There are things I left out like game saving but this is because I wanted to get this out there quick to help others decide. There are other games coming out that look as if they may push the boundries even further but for right now I would say that gameloft has put forth one of the top games in the store.

Have fun sorry for spelling and gramer mistakes I'm sure one if not all of you will find some.

4. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

Judging based on the first couple hours this has been out, this is only my first impression, so.. make YOUR best judgment.

5. Newton1221

Newton1221 Member

Nov 13, 2008
    its not a FPS, FPS mean First Person Shooter, this game is clearly from 3rd person perspective because you can see the guy you are controlling, personally not a big 3rd person fan (except for gears), i'd like the looks of this game more if it was a FPS

6. Wow! Thanks for that great detailed post iBone. Might just pick this up and have a good play at work today. By the sounds of it, it plays just like I wanted it to. Cheers.

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  8. Thanks for the vid Arn. Lucky you uploaded that. I didn't realize you have to swipe to turn! Is there an option to tilt instead? As it is on that video, it's impossible to turn AND fire at the same time, which is putting me off. Looks a bit cumbersome like that.

9. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    There is a different mode available in settings. I haven't tried it yet. :)

arn

10. Is the other mode tilt control for aiming and turning?
    If you have chance I would very much appreciate you checking that out, pretty please :cool:

11. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    looks good. no money.

12. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I turned on motion sensor in the controls settings and it gives you left/right movement with tilt. not aiming.

arn

13. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interesting...

Great looking game, but I also am trying to slow on buying apps.

I'm really excited about iPhone gaming so far. I didn't have a DS/PSP before my iPhone, but now I'm positive I don't even want one.

14. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Didn't expect the game to be very functional, Apple needs to bring out a peripheral to add some buttons to the iPod because complex games are looking to be impossible to properly implement currently.

15. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008
    There is a dual stick option that works best for me. Just like the PSP.. one looks, one moves. Just be sure to increase the speed setting.

16. But if you use the dual stick option, I assume that's one stick per thumb- so I assume then you have to take your thumb off one to fire.

Arn- "I turned on motion sensor in the controls settings and it gives you left/right movement with tilt. not aiming."

By left and right movement, do you mean left and right strafing then?

This isn't sounding good at all for me. I want to aim and turn by tilting, while walking/strafing with the stick/d-pad/what ever you want to call it.

17. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ Stop being picky dude. I want a million dollars but I'm not going to get one right away, now am I? Game looks good. Definitely buy it later once finals are through...

18. It's got nothing to do with being picky mate. For this type of game (3rd person or 1st person shooter) I know how I want it to control, and if a £6 game doesn't control how I want, then I won't want it. There's nothing wrong with that imo.
    If someone could confirm if my ideal control method can be used, then I will happily buy it.

19. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ So what you're saying is that you want something in the likes of Cube. And we all know how that worked out...Controls don't seem that bad to me. Sure there's some scrolling here and there but that's fine. I got nauseous everytime I tried to play Cube from all the tilting and stuff. Maybe the developers had this in mind when designing the controls.

20. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    #60 darwiniandude, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    The first 'real' 3D game... ?

Note, I felt strongly enough about this game to write this review for both the AU appstore and www.toucharcade.com

This is very impressive... graphically far, far beyond anything I've seen from a DS, this is a true 3D shooter. Finger swiping controls mouse-look, the virtual analogue pad works well controlling forwards, backwards and strafe left and right. Using the virtual analogue pad and touch swiping at once took a little getting used to, but it works surprisingly well.

The game is well crafted graphically and extremely polished, realistic appropriate orchestral score, and you're fighting along with your team mates against the enemies to get past. The guys shout commands and you have to reach checkpoints and use surroundings for cover, and slide along a wall to look around the corner at times. When you approach terrain elements which can provide cover, your character ducks and drops down to relative safety. You can drag out with your fingers with some weapons to enter a targeting mode, useful for long distance aiming.

Well worth the money IMO.

This game feels and plays like a decent game of this genre, visually like something from a circa year 2000 PC game roughly... or newer. To me, this is one of the first games that really highlights the 'iTouch' platform as a realistic DS/PSP alternative. Instead of being 'really good for a phone', it's just a really good game.

Bear in mind I've only done a few levels, so I don't know how long it is, but so far it's well worth it.

Following is a spoiler of what I've encountered so far. Don't read if you want to discover for yourself:

Spoiler:
    In the tutorial level and the first level (maybe first two) I've done, I've shot numerous badies, collected a bazooka and taken out a few tanks, picked up some grenades and climbed up on a tank and chucked a grenade in to blow it up, used terrain for cover and pinched zoomed into targeting stance with the bazooka to take out a sniper in a church tower which destroyed the upper half of the building. I've also taken control of a fixed enemy gun and then used it against them.

EDIT: Start of second Mission, I'm now driving a tank! And yes, the 2nd control method with the two virtual sticks works much better, just like playing on the PS2... almost ;)