iPad Brothers In Arms OR Hero Of Sparta?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Jan 14, 2009.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    OMG. OK OK shoot me. I started a VS thread.. :p

It seems valid now though... both games just dropped to $5.99

Which one is a better buy? I like BiA games and HOS looks too much like GoW which I extremely like as well...

Hmm.. what to buy? :confused:

2. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    been reading the reviews for HOS and they say it gets choppy... has this been resolved??

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I had no problems with choppiness. The game plays great. It was completely worth $9.99.

4. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    i got both (From these price cuts)...

frankly, i liked HoS better, BiA controls is a bit clunky - and i love fps'es, never had a problem with dual-analog shooters on my 360, but this doesn't feel right...

sparta has better controls imo...

5. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    how about the levels... ONLY 8???

how long does it take to beat it? are there checkpoints assuming these levels are monstrous!

6. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    BIA all the way. I just bought Hero and played for about 10 minutes. It's not as spectacular as some of the reviews led me to believe, though I'm only up a few checkpoints.

7. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I dont have hos, and i dont plan on it, even at that price. Bia was def worth it, but i dont see myself really playing hos.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It gets quite a bit better once you hit the 3rd (Steam Rock) and especially the 5th (Descent) stage stage. Particularly the 5th, as the framerate smooths out during that stage compared to the choppiness one feels in the early stages. The choppiness honestly is not that bad to begin with, but the game is not butter smooth like God of War on PSP either (although it really should be as, howls from PSP fanboys aside, iTouch/Phone really is the more capable of the two). Anyway, I think the framerate picks up during the 5th stage due to the color scheme employed in that one. The previous stages are full of vibrant colors, whereas the 5th is mainly gray and blue, which probably eases the strain on the system. That said, it should be smoother than it is, and hopefully they update it.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Some are shorter than others, but some are pretty long with a handful of checkpoints.

When first playing it, my first impression was that the game wasn't all that great, but then I hit the 3rd stage and it just started picking up from there. Pretty good. Is it God of War? No...but it ain't bad at all. I think it would actually have fit right at home on PSP. If it were on that system, compared to the other offerings there, I'd give it a solid 7. On iTouch/Phone, where we haven't gotten very many "deep, big budget" offerings, and certainly not many in this genre, I'd give it a high 8 or even a 9.

10. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    god damn it!!!

a game that costs $6 has "HERO...SPARTA" wtf!!! call it HOS or whatever. fark that!

11. iTouched_You

iTouched_You Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    get rolando it a fun game

12. KingArgos

KingArgos New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hero of Sparta all the way

To me, this really isn't a contest. I bought both games about a month ago and have spent awhile on each. I'm a fan of both genres (I have no problem with fps's on my ps3, and love the GoW series), but brothers in arms is really just not as high quality. It feels kind of clunky (the controls), there are parts that don't make sense or are unreasonably difficult for no apparent reason, and as for the graphics and presentation it really isn't anything all that special. However, you do get used to it, and learn little ins and outs as you progress further into the game, and in the end it really isn't that bad of a game. A problem is that there's this one level you reach (like 8 levels in or so), where you reach a part that is literally unpassable. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I've played it at least 15 times trying everything I could possibly imagine, but nothing works - every time, you die about 10 seconds after spawning. I have no idea why - maybe its a glitch with my copy (I doubt it, though, I've had no problems throughout the rest of the game and have reset my ipod multiple times, even re-downloaded BIA), but nothing works. As such, the game is now unplayable, and this annoys me. Actually, though, it wasn't that great of a game in the first place.

Now, hero of sparta, on the other hand, is not only hands-down the best game I ever have played or likely will play on my ipod touch, it's one of the better games I've EVER played, right up there with the classics of the full-on videogame consoles. The presentation, graphics, music, and epic-ness are all 10/10, and I keep shaking my head, completely amazed that I'm playing this on my IPOD. The gameplay could use some improvement in a couple areas (the focus kills can get boring once you learn them, as they are slow paced and exactly the same for each enemy), and it would be better if there were more ways of attacking (attack combos, buttons, etc. So far I have found a total of four combos - the normal attach string, which is just tapping the attack button repeatedly, a special attack where you tap the attack button once and then tap it again, except holding it down this time, a special attack where you hold down the attack button, and a running attack where you press the shield button while running.) There is also the shield-special attack, and five different weapons, but I still can't help but feel that they could've had more (not weapons, but attack options). That said, the gameplay is still solid, and very entertaining. You will enjoy it. As for choppiness, I have noticed very little, if any at all. The game runs very well. Another area that could use some work is the length / replay value - it features 3 difficulty modes, but the game is only about five hours or so long, and there are no other gameplay modes other than the main story mode. That said, I enjoyed the experience so much that I went through and played it again, multiple times (I'm on my 3rd run-through right now). My last point is the story - it was ok, (epic scale), but for anyone who's into a story in a game, you will find it completely non-original, uninteresting, and just that it doesn't succeed in pulling you in, at all. So that could use some improvement.
    Overall, though, it's small faults don't manage to significantly mar the experience, and it is worth far more than $6, in my mind. I desperately want to see more games of this quality in the app store, and frankly, this game can't sell enough. The developers need to get their money's worth for the excellent effort they put into this, and then some. I can't recommend this enough.

My Scores:

BIA
    Overall 6/10
    Graphics 8/10
    Gameplay 5/10
    Presentation 7.5/10
    Music basically non-existant
    Story basically non-existant
    Value 5/10

HoS
    Overall 9/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Gameplay 7.5/10
    Presentation 10/10
    Story 6.5/10
    Music 10/10
    Value 8/10

Wow I can't believe I just wrote that much :p

13. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    KA, welocme. Props for the longest 1st post I've ever seen. I agree with the clunky mechanics of BiA. It just wasn't natural, especially the cover mechanic. And a non-existent story? You shoot Nazis!:p

Joke. A bad one at that....

14. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I personally despised both of them. But if you must chose between the two, go for Hero of Sparta.

15. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    Haven't played either one in a long time, so many other games out now. If I had to choose one I'd pick HOS

16. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #16 1337brian, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    I agree HoS Has much better controls IMO, Not to take anything away from BIA, Both were worth the money, I just find HoS more enjoyable...

[EDIT] - Holy crap! @ KingArgos, Welcome to TA nice first post man!

17. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#17 Alichan, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    Neither.....I regret both. Controlling walking/running characters on a machine with no buttons is not fun, period! Either control option feels ludicrous, whether it be a virtual d-pad or a frustrating accelerometer system. I really enjoy my iPod Touch for the games that feel native to it, namely; puzzlers, top-down shooters, TD's.....you get the idea:).

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #18 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    @argos, nice summary. I agree with alot of the info/points you give about BIA. Especially that there is no organized story line, and there is no music so-to-speak.

All-in-all though, I find it to be a very, very fun distraction. Lots of achievements that give you certain"cheats" after finishing the game. I bought it around Christmas time and beat the game on easy in probably a week. It was 10$ when I purch. and it was worth that.

I just synced it back on my phone and am gonna try to beat it again. I wish there were an external way to save game data so when you delete an app from your device you would have an option to keep your saved game status.

As for HOS , I am going to purchase.

Just a note Wild West Guns is no ordinary tap-to-shoot. Awesome game, worth well more than the 5$ pricetag! Gameloft is the best.

19. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    Rich952000, totally agree gameloft rocks, and when wild west guns first came out I hesitated at first, but quickly picked it up. There definitely one of the top developers.

20. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    have completed both which are both worth it and 2 of the best 3d games on iphone.

but BIA is the one i keep going back to have played all the campaigns thrice on all levels. i jus find the overall feel more cinematic and the missions more varied than the hack n slash nature of hos