Universal Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (by 505 Games (US), Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Oct 22, 2015.

1. smiffee666

smiffee666 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 29, 2012
    UK
    Also controls great on ip6, both have slight stutters in frame rate but nothing game breaking #

2. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I'm about to finish it now & agree. Top 3 easy. This was so good. It's gorgeous & has awesome puzzles.
    Wow was this a great game. I enjoyed every minute of it.

3. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Horizon Chase and Downwell

4. hazmatte

hazmatte Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Fantastic game.

I'm loving this game on my iPad. I originally tried it on my PC back when it came out on Steam and couldn't really get into the control scheme on a PC, but it works great on an iPad, other than the whole "pat your head and chew bubblegum at the same time" issue of trying to control the two brothers at the same time.

Game looks wonderful, really beautiful, and though the puzzles so far have not been challenging, it's still a ton of fun to walk them through the environment. And it's definitely a novel gameplay experience basically playing what I'd call "Thumb Co-Op" mode.

Not sure how long the game is, but I feel like it's going to be pretty short.

To all the IAP haters out there, throw $5 at these guys and support developers putting out unique IAP-free gaming experiences!

Kudos to the developers on this gem!

5. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Really wish it supported iPod 6. :(

I'm sure it would run just fine.

6. kevnull

kevnull New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Anyone get the One Last Game achievement yet?

7. ineptidude

ineptidude Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Trees
    USA
    Yeah, throw the basketball through the hoop instead of down the well lol

8. Hypnocat

Hypnocat New Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Stuck climbing the castle

Help..I've been stuck on this part for days. When climbing the second peg wall, little brother won't let go and swing. Tapping on him keep smaling Big Brother release and drop down instead of little brother. Anyone know how to get past this?

9. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    One of those games I just had to review on the appstore the moment it finished. Played it all in one sitting this afternoon:

Believe it or not, in the earliest days of fantasy writing, at the onset of the twentieth century, authors like William Hope Hodgson, Arthur Machen and David Lindsay did not rely on schlocky tropes like elves, orcs and wizards aplenty. Fantasy was an opportunity to make your dreams come true, and dreams are wayward, untamable things, which do not cowtow to genre conventions. Brothers, in its gracefulness and willingness to follow its own muse, brings those works to mind.

I honestly don't think it puts a foot wrong. Adventure games and RPGs (the latter of which this most certainly is not) are often inundated with characters whose sole reason for existence seems to be to spool out pages of plot and exposition. This eschews all of that by having the characters talk in a made-up language. It gives the world a timelessness which would have been spoilt by garrulous NPCs telling you about the history of a dark lord gone mad with power etc. etc. The world is utterly beautiful. I mean, stunning, especially for a mobile game. It evokes the environments of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in which the backdrops consist of vistas of such scope and breadth that you almost just want to sit back and marvel in it all (and indeed, some of the more picturesque spots come with a park bench for you to 'lax and do just that).

As to the dual character controls, I think they're great. The trickiness of doing two things at once is what makes this game unique. Of course, unique will be seen by some as "flawed" or even "broken", but hey not everyone's used to this kind of ambition. When you find yourself steering a Da Vinci-esque glider through sparkling valleys, or negotiating your way around gigantic draw-bridges, you should realise you're playing something special.

There ARE a lot of "feels" as the kids say, but feeling is a good thing, though we spend so much of our life trying to do anything but. If you want an adventure of a lifetime, but can't afford to hire a sherpa guide and elephants to carry your supplies, this is the next best thing!

10. Jenbabs

Jenbabs New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a beautiful and well written review for a game that almost brought me to tears with its story telling and engrossing gameplay. I wish I could put my feelings into words in the way you have as I agree with every sentiment you have written.

11. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Thanks for the unexpected pick-me-up, Jenbabs! I'm utterly honoured that you signed up to the forum just to give me (and Brothers) praise. I remember back in April this game filled me up to the point where I had to say something about it or I'd explode. :D Another replay is definitely due. I'll try to steel myself up for
    that ending
    , but I'm sure I'll be rheumy-eyed and heartbroken all over again.

12. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Thinking of buying this but the latest app store reviews say there is a game breaking bug. Is this to do with ios updates breaking the game? Anyone know?

13. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    It has nothing to do with any iOS updates, but that review on the US App Store is accurate. In roughly the last 5 minutes of the game the game will crash. What happens next is rather blurry to me as I haven't played the game in almost a year. It's not game-breaking, but it is annoying.

14. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Thanks. I might get it anyway.

15. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Just got an update it says optimized for the latest apple devices can you confirm still unreal engine 3 ?

16. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Does this game have controller support yet?

17. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
  18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Is £2.99 it’s sale price? Anyone know how it plays now being a few years old?

19. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I think it’s not on sale yet, hold yer horses

ste86uk likes this.
  20. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Original price was $4.99 when released but since May 2nd, 2017 the price has been dropped to $2.99 and still is to this day. So, it doesn’t look like a current sale to me. It was even lower for 10 days on April 5th 2016 for $1.99.

I played it on Xbox as a part of Game Pass a while ago. No reason getting it on iOS again.

ste86uk likes this.