Universal Brotato (by Erabit Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lull4by, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I disagree. I definitely like the aesthetic of 20MTD better. And I like progression systems, they keep me interested. This game just makes me want to play Isaac or Crashlands.

houseofg likes this.
  2. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    20MTD is (and obviously all my imo) not that good. It’s very similar to VS but with worse everything (graphics, sounds, upgrades, characters, progression). Maybe I just didn’t get into it.

I feel like the reason VS works is because it’s so untraditional in its genre, and because it’s so satisfying, but 20MTD is a much more traditional game in many of its elements, and it’s not that satisfying, and so is kind of an ugly middle ground. Maybe I should give it a second chance because I haven’t played it since like a month before VS came out on mobile.

#Bonk3rZ likes this.
  3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There’s no going back. All of 20 Minutes’ flaws become increasingly glaring once you’ve played VS. Knowing how much time you’ve spent with VS, this won’t end well.

Lull4by likes this.
  4. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    The only problem I encountered is that the final boss who can land many spots attack at same time, have less than 1 second warning time to know where you can move and dodge the attack, the PC version have more warning time, so it is really hard to beat the level 20 if your character is a glass cannon type.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    The hell is vs

both my 8yo and I got serious mileage out of 20mins, I completed it, he’s recently gone back to it and is working his way through.

6. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    I suspected that too, because I played a run or two after 100%ing the base game.

To anyone with a PC or Steam Deck, if you like the upgrade system in 20MTD, there is a game on Steam called Nova Drift, where the inspiration for that system comes from.

Although Nova Drift is actually amazing, and one of my favourite roguelikes

7. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I’m finding it a little odd that I’ve played 15-20 runs and have yet to finish with any of the characters. At the same time, I’m glad it’s not as “easy” as VS and the waves/runs are much quicker.

Anyone know what the engineering stat does? I’m guessing it has to do with turrets and stuff like that?

8. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    That’s right about engineering.
    VS with Hurry mode on (which is better imo) is shorter than this.

And my god yes this game is so much harder. I haven’t played as much as you on mobile but my highest wave is only 16. I’ve played about 3 hours on PC, and I did beat Danger 0 with Well-rounded, and whilst I can’t remember the run that well, I believe that it lived up to the characters name with guns, melee and engineering, with a focus on HP regen, as I tend to find that works well.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    While I love Nova Drift, I never learned all the skills and eventually felt like I hit a wall. Feels like a bit *too* many choices to me. Still was super fun.

Wall Jump Games likes this.
  10. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I just give the feedback about the internet connection problem to developers, they said it could be patched in the next update, just stay tune.

11. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Three days since release and no ipad update is quite a long time. It‘s not that hard to reprogram the screensize. I‘m definitely disappointed and did refund for the first time in life. I will instead buy it on steam. I also think the steam version is much better because you see the complete battlefield and not just a part of it.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The update is out with supposed fix for screen size. I've only tried it on the phone and didn't have a chance to try it on the iPad yet. The dev did mentioned they submitted an update earlier and Apple rejected for whatever reason. They had to resubmit another update.

Boy..had my best run ever. Made it to the last boss but couldn't beat him in time. Seems like my build was fine to handle a few enemies but not good enough to handle mobs. Next time!

13. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    No you don’t? (I think, unless I’m remembering wrong)

14. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    #34 solarnya, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    I dunno the details but I’ve checked AppStore just now and found brotato updated with iPad resolution fixed

15. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

16. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Oh boy..is the game hard on mobile. I haven't been able to make it back to the boss on the lowest difficulty.

Ended up on Reddit and Erabit's Discord and other's have chimed in on the difficulty vs PC. I do hope the difficulty will be adjusted. While I'm fine with a difficult game..I'd still prefer to be able to beat the lowest difficulty anytime and be able to dial up the difficulty.

elcrazy likes this.
  17. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    #37 Alex DeLargest, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Oh hey, this game is getting great buzz and just got a support update. No IAP, full premium! Maybe I’ll pick it up.

Checks AppStore privacy boxes…

Lol, yeah ok. No.

Again, why is a premium game with no IAPs or user-facing ads engaging in this level of tracking and user profiling? Dodgy as all hell.

Attached Files:

18. Wall Jump Games

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Most of that is fine and explainable, not sure why they would need your Contact Info, and curious about what Other Data means

19. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    Whatever, not like there isn’t an abundance of choices on mobile. Thanks, shady dev/publisher for helping me to streamline my purchasing decisions this month! My money will be going to Feral and the Pocket City 2 dev, and not to you!

Also lets me know that I’ll never considering buying this game or anything else from the publisher on Steam. If I won’t let it touch iOS, it sure as hell isn’t getting installed on my Mac.

20. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Off topic: Smart decision. I’ve been testing Pocket City 2 for almost a year and I’m telling you, you’re in for a treat. Trust me.:)

sebgo, adin and Alex DeLargest like this.