Broke My iTouch 2G screen. Replacing??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by PeterM11, Mar 9, 2009.

1. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    #1 PeterM11, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    Ok, heres the deal. Last friday my iPod Touch 2G fell off my bed and must have hit something on my floor cause it created a spiderweb crack. It covers about the whole screen. Surprisingly, the iPod still works fine and there are no dead spots at all. I am a little concerned though, that some of the glass might eventually fall out. So I was wondering if there's any way I could replace the screen (or... the glass. I don't know if they are connected or the same thing or anything.) and if so, how hard is it? And how expensive would the new screen cost/ where could I buy one? (any links will help.)

Thank you a ton for any help!

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add - I checked and they won't cover anything that was an accident. And it was... There's nothing I can say that will get them to replace it I don't think.

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    If your underwarranty they might replace it,I'm not sure how you'd go about repairing it yourself, any piece of glass won't work.

3. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I believe you won't be able to get a new iPod from the Apple Store. I think new LCD screens for the iPod run for around $70-$80 online (sorry, no links :eek:), but I'm sure a quick google search could help you in that department. :)

I couldn't imagine replacing the screen could be THAT hard. You may have to undo some screws here and there, and it will most likely void the warranty, but it's worth a shot if you can't get a replacement from the store

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Screws?! I've touched every part of my touch (wow, I sound like a techno-pedophile) and the thing is one solid slap of perfect machinery. I mean, where do you start dismantling? How do you bring yourself to dismantle it? ... beside the $210+, that is...

5. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    the screws are on the inside. I know you can buy some tool to pop the screen and stuff out of the back casing. but im not sure if i should be trying to fix this (which i really want to if i can do it for not too much. the cracks are annoying and i dont want it to break more!) or just leave it alone, or how to, or how much it would cost....

6. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Hey guys... I was wondering...
    Is it possible that i could take the screen out of an iPod Touch 1G and replace the broken one in my 2G with it?
    Or are they different sizes?
    I know the newer one had more of a yellow tent to it... is this in the screen or the software? Could that be a problem?

And if it IS possible how hard would it be?

I really wanna fix my screen but I do not have the money to get a new one or buy a replacement screen cause they go for about 200$ apparently.