iPhone Brogue (by Seth Howard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    You're experiencing a classic Brogue OOS error. One of these days I'd love to have a crack at the save files. I have plan in a not too distant future update to add a GUI for file system access. You'll be able to load, delete and share games. Thanks for reminding me to get on it.

Not zoom, magnify. Don't tap, hold your finger still for a fraction of a second and a magnifying glass comes up. Unless you have the shakes (and I'm sorry if you do), the gestures in the game are filtered so it's generally hard to misfire at that point. But I was the person porting it over and have way too many hours of play time invested so I'm not the best judge.

I'll take a look into shift+dir on the desktop version. It's not a bad suggestion. Thanks!

2. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    A little shaky sometimes when specifically aiming for precise targets, but enough control where that works. That'll take care of the wand issue!

I do appreciate you looking into running. One of the nice things about roguelikes is the extreme freedom to play how you want.

3. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    There are no simple mistakes.

I just had my best game ever derailed by two bonehead moves one right after the other. Was running +9 splint mail of absorption and a +3 ring of regeneration with a +1 mace. Had 4 allies, two monkeys, a goblin and an Ogre, three of whom had additional abilities (one of the monkeys could fly, one could weaken and had health gain, and the goblin had protect). With the absorption, regeneration and shield, I was humming along until around level 14, at which point I stupidly used a firebolt staff on a Z. Lost the flying monkey and the goblin to the ensuring firestorm. Not 5 minutes later, I stupidly forgot to hit (S), which I had been doing regularly since about level 8 and stepped on a paralyze trap right next to three Ogres who happened to be hosting their Troll cousin at a lovely worship session. Lost my Ogre ally. Got very low on health, waved a tearful goodbye to my monkey and used a teleport scroll. I landed a room away and watched, somewhat surprised, as my bad-ass monkey ally (which I'd had since level 1) killed the two remaining Ogres and the Troll. Cheered!

Those cheers quickly turned to tears as 4 enormous B's wrapped me in a stinky embrace and prevented me from reuniting with my monkey buddy.

If I: a) hadn't used the firebolt staff on the Zombie; and b) hadn't stepped on the paralyze trap; we'd probably still be down there, feeding bananas and Trolls to one another. Sigh.

4. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Only one way to win... but an infinite number of ways to die, I'm not sure which is more fun. It's crazy how quickly things can fall apart... like when you accidentally Discord your lightning powered Troll and he proceeds to tear apart myself and my allies.

5. etonblue

Nov 10, 2011
    Finally ascended for the first time, using a seed from one of the weekly contests from the Brogue community. The contest focused on armor of absorption and ring of transference, which is a pretty powerful combination when used with a weapon with area damage (axe or war axe). The seed is also pretty generous with consumables, wands and staves and is a great opportunity for a first ascension. The first time I played it (within the restrictions of the contest), I died to the first Lich I saw.

I went back just for kicks and replayed the seed without the contest restrictions. Rescued a monkey and managed to keep him alive for 14 levels or so. Had to dominate a Wraith to save my monkey, which wasn't too bad, except for the Wraith's tendency to go charging off very quickly to attack things half the level away (this was compounded once it learned lightning), which lead to some interesting mob scenes. Kept both of them into the late teens until both died to various explody things. Ended up dominating a Golem, just for kicks. Learned that Golems sometimes deflect wands of plenty and ended up with an extremely weak clone of myself that proved to be exceedingly useless in combat, but somehow managed to survive my complete lack of concern for its existence for at least two more levels. Hit successive pit bloats and lost track of my Golem buddy. Had a ridiculously tedious battle with 3 Liches on 24. It took me forever to kill them (due to the summoning congestion and the fleeing) and they couldn't kill me because of the nature of the build- I kept using my +4 War Axe / +6 Ring of Transference combo to heal myself (from the near constantly being set on fire) by killing all of the fodder they kept summoning. Used my last domination charge on a Juggernaut Revenant I found on 25. He proceeded to mow through an entire pack of dar. And then immediately got burned to death. By a Lich.

By the time I hit 26, I was all out of useful potions, all of my wands were spent and I had no more allies. I was also fairly low on food. Spent a tense 20 minutes tiptoeing around two Tentacle Horrors, several Revenants and about 6 bloats of various kinds looking for the Amulet. Finally found it in the corner.

The next 5 or so levels back up were harrowing. There were more Liches and Revenants and several Dragons which I had apparently bypassed due to the pit bloats. I arrived at D23 just in time to see my old Golem buddy get shredded by an Explosive Dragon who was headed directly at me. I panicked and triggered my last escape option, a teleport scroll, which . . . dropped me right next to the up stair case! Anyhow, I probably almost died about 3 more times, but eventually made it out for my first Ascension.

Final Score: 54,513. Escaped the Dungeons of Doom!

Sandoze: Quick question, any idea why the score isn't showing up on Gamecenter? I was not connected to the internet at the time and I've tried closing and reopening both Gamecenter and Brogue with no luck. Am I hosed?

6. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    That's great that you ascended! I've noticed your scores on GC creeping on up.

As for the score not hitting GC. This is disturbing. My understanding of GC is, as of iOS5, any score or achievement submitted offline is resubmitted when reconnected so I never bother to cache them and manually try to resubmit.

Investigating further, there is some back and forth about whether or not scores are cached if you're not authenticated prior to submitting.

Have you reconnected since (I assume you have)? Perhaps tried to submit another score?

7. etonblue

Nov 10, 2011
    iPad 2/iOS version 6.1.3. When I ascended, I was offline (I didn't notice at the time). I immediately logged in to wifi (e.g., before I exited out of the game or GC). Since then, I have tried rebooting the iPad, and various combinations of exiting out of GC and the game, and logging out of GC. I have also played at least a few more games while online (although none of the scores would have been high enough to trigger a GC update as they weren't higher than my currently listed GC high of 15,000). As you can see in the attached thumbnail, it is showing up in game. Any other thoughts?

It's not that big of a deal (as I plan on ascending again), but maybe something to think about (caching) for a future update.

Attached Files:

8. etonblue

Nov 10, 2011
    Sigh. Killed on the way back up with the Amulet.

In this case, I got blasted by a Dragon on level 22. I had a damn good run, but kept getting set on fire by . . . well . . . everything. At one point I had 5 allies (two Ogres, a dar blademaster, a mystic and a Troll) and I hit a level with 3 flame turrets. Not a one of them made it out alive. I could go toe to toe with Horrors with little problem, but burned like kindling every time a Dragon or Lich looked at me funny. I ran out of defensive abilities (poly/teleport/etc) and that was that.

I even tried to go lumen hunting, but after the 3rd Dragon attack I fled with my tail between my legs.

Ah well. At least I made sure I was online this time!

9. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Mixed feelings. Seems interesting but appears to be a trial by error. Find a missing key, room goes into flames and you die...walk in a room, fills with gas, you die...3 specters spawn, you die...step into a pool and all you inventory floats away...run into monkeys and they steal your gear, run away, when run out of darts you can never catch monkeys... Suppose to be fun, am I missing something?

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds like every good roguelike.

11. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    How to free iron manacled monsters?

Only been playing for a day or two but so far I love this game!

A question for the better informed:

How does one free iron-manacled monsters? I've reached level 10 of a seed and would love to free two well manacled ogres (one on level 9 and one on level 10) and have them join my party...

I've heard that the Wand of Beckoning will do the needful but I haven't come across any yet (I've identified all the wands that I have come across.) Any other ideas?

12. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    You can just go up to the caged or manacled monster and tap on it. You get a dialogue box asking if you want to free them. And then they'll join you out of gratefulness.

13. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Essentially what Ravenblack said. Although, if they're in cages you'll need to find the key. Here's a question though, would a wand of beckoning work on a caged creature?

14. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Thank you Ravenblack and Sandoze. I've since gone ahead and died (without those Ogre allies) but since I'm playing a seed I'm on my way to their aid as we speak.

@Sandoze, next time I'm near a caged creature with a come-hither wand I'll try it and let you know...

Great game this!

15. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Just saw a comment about this game, going to try! Looks pretty cool.

16. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    I'm happy to report it does! In my last run I came across a room with three caged monsters: a monkey, a Goblin Conjurer and a Goblin Mystic; and used two charges of a Wand of Beckoning to free the two Goblins.

Interestingly each of the Goblins was carrying an item but those items remained locked in the cages.

17. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
  18. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    You think that would work? I sadly don't have one.

Would anyone be interested in keyboard support?

That's very cool. I'm always learning new things even after a hundred games at least.

Point and case, I recently realized I could drop darts, javelin and items onto traps triggering them from a distance messing with enemies from afar.

19. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd love to play with my Logitech Keyboard Cover, especially if that gives me the full command set!

20. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Excellent tip! Will remember that!

Thank you for porting this great game to the iPad. :)