iPhone Brogue (by Seth Howard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Mar 22, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  2. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #42 Sandoze, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    Good thinking. I'll add it to my list for the next update.

3. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Just a little hint about the seeds. If you play a game and press the 'seed' button next to 'Play' on the title screen it will autofill with the last seed.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Is there a way to access easy mode on the port? Normally shift+7.

5. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Are you referring to roughly the same thing I did earlier, lack of run command and other convenient ways to manually navigate?

That one still really digs at me, because nearly every roguelike I play supports running as the basic navigation (including the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, which shows just how far I'm willing to indulge my roguelike habit)!

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah pretty much. On PC it's easy to keep one hand on the mouse for identifying things quickly and the other on the keyboard for movement. Here I've kinda got to stop for a moment, hold down, carefully position the cursor in the right place, etc.

I'm really glad someone took the time to port it and I plan to play the crap out of it, but if it's possible to keep making the experience smoother and faster than I'm all for that.

7. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hear hear! Still love the game, just looking forward to movement improvements.

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Update is available. Movements and menu selection speed much improved. :)

9. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Brogue iPad has been updated today to 1.0.2. Changes in this version:

• Performance improved. In-game menus and popups should now be considerably faster.
    • Magnifying glass is more responsive and pops faster.
    • Adjusted hit area of the directional buttons so items/creatures behind it aren't accidentally hit while using.
    • Added a 'show inventory' option on death.
    • Setting the pinch to hide directional controls now takes effect in the current application session and not the next time you launch fresh.
    • Updated a few assets so they 'pop' a bit more.
    • Several bug fixes that might have lead to the application freezing.
    • Fixed a potential crash that could occur when entering a new level of the dungeon.

I'm really happy with the improvements over the initial release. It plays faster and is missing the menu lag. The next update is even more awesome and, if all goes well, should be available next week:

• Big speed and performance improvements.
    • No more touching anything behind the the directional controls, this time I think I mean it.
    • Magnifying glass pops a bit faster because I'm impatient.
    • Touches are even more responsive.
    • Dungeon seed is displayed when you die.

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    great update! i request a donate via IAP feature!

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Feels much more responsive now, I almost can't imagine how you could improve on the speed and performance, but I'm looking forward to finding out :)

12. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #52 Nachtfischer, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Yeah, the new update is great. I can finally enjoy Brogue on the iPad. The initial release was way too laggy for my taste.

It could still be better though, I'm really looking forward to the coming update, great to see such strong support (and all that for a free app). :)

13. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Time to give this game another go it looks like, my first experience was a bit frustrating but fun. Hard to think that someone would put all the effort into making this game work on touchscreen and give it for FREE

14. Foiden

Foiden Member

Apr 20, 2011
    True, but it doesn't help you if the dungeon you'd like to offer a challenge with, or even try on another device happens to be a dungeon for which you did a 'New game' with. Since you never entered a seed manually, in the first place, it won't autofill. Still, thanks for taking into consideration the (show seed) feature.

15. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I assure you it does autofill after selecting a new game, losing, returning to the title screen, pressing seed and start new game with seed.

The seed display will be added in the next update though.

16. Foiden

Foiden Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Oh, I see. It only does that if you died. I was thinking you meant it would show the seed of the last game you started.

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  18. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
  19. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Kudos. I haven't played a roguelike since Angband, but I am very much enjoying this. That is to say, I'm very much enjoying getting killed repeatedly, frequently and *mostly* through varying degrees of human error. Coming home from spring break on the plane today, I found it rather exhausting having to explain to my inquisitive 6 year old daughter why daddy kept getting killed by the alphabet.

20. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    1.0.3 has hit the app store. I am super excited about the performance increase and hope you are too.

• Big speed and performance improvements.
    • No more touching anything behind the the directional controls, this time I think I mean it.
    • Magnifying glass pops a bit faster because I'm impatient.
    • Touches are even more responsive and a couple interactions have been retooled.
    - Touching empty space in the left hand environment list clears your path/cursor.
    - Interactions on the left hand list are one tap to get a description, double tap to interact.
    • Dungeon seed is displayed when you die.