iPhone Brogue (by Seth Howard)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greyskull, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tip, love the feature and all the other little details that I'm finding as I play.

I am enjoying this game immensely. Thanks for bringing this to the ipad, Sandoze!

Nice, the stuff on the wiki are very helpful. Thanks!

2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This is such an excellent port! Great attention to detail, full creature and item info, tap-to-move, great pacing, hilarious scrolls; just love it.

3. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #23 geoelectric, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    Wow! I love roguelikes, and this looks awesome!

Edit:

Played a couple of games. I really like it, though visually locating everything on the level (especially yourself!) can be tough with all the different floor/env characters.

A couple of feature requests:

1) double-tap a d-pad arrow for run.

Drag is too slow and fiddly for me, auto-explore and left-sidebar-tap are too auto. I just want to be able to run down a corridor rogue/nethack style (until new intersection or event) which I'm guessing is shift-dir on desktop, but not represented in the UI here.

2) double-tap sleep to fire off the "sleep 100 or until event" command.

While I'm at it, maybe 3) a "flash current position" tap zone, maybe on top of the @: You in the upper-left.

Really, though, excellent touch implementation of an excellent roguelike. I'm quite impressed!

Edit 2:

Heh, tapping @ highlighted it. Good work on 3, thanks for the quick turnaround! ;)

4. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Great feedback. For #2 you can go into the 'Menu' and 'Sleep until Better'.

5. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ah, awesome. Thanks!

6. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Can't play on iPad 1 because it requires iOS 6. Is this an oversight or does it really require newer hardware to run ok?

7. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    I like it. Its kinda slow sometimes, especially when using items and even when moving.

8. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    This game is brilliant! Thank you so much for the hard work! This is turning out to be my favorite roguelike for the iPad! :)

9. Sandoze

Sandoze Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #29 Sandoze, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Agreed. Performance issues have been pretty much resolved over the weekend. I'll be submitting the update as soon as the one in the queue has been accepted (about a week hopefully).

Also, based on earlier feedback the magnifier shows up much faster now.

Changes in 1.0.2 (waiting for the current update to be accepted):
    • Performance improved. Menus and popups should now be lightning fast!
    • Magnifying glass is more responsive.
    • Adjusted hit area of the directional buttons so items behind it aren't accidentally hit while using.

10. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Best roguelike on the iPad, hands down IMO. Extended use of the d-pad for movement can be a bit of a bother so I tend to use the Explore option to move around quickly and only use the d-pad when getting into a combat situation. Thanks again for the great port Sandoze!

11. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    That's simply great, I don't need anything more then speed.:)

Cheers
    spajdr

12. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Yeah this is just a wonderful port. My freed goblin buddy and I were doing great until we ran into those vampire bats.....

13. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    In one of my games I was a few levels down, surrounded by enemies and down to my last bit of health. Decided my only hope was to drink the only potion I had. After drinking it the floor below me collapsed and I fell to my death - oops! Anyone else want to share some tales of their Brogue adventures?

14. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Really happy to hear about the performance enhancements coming. it is by far the only thing wrong with this game. I love it. Not very good at it yet though :).

I'd love iPhone 5 support. I would gladly take a zoomed in view (if scrollable).

15. el padre

el padre Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Gliwice, Poland
    It's my personal best rogue-like game. I enjoy the interface, controls and all descriptions, this is great great game done with a style. iPad was made for this game. Thank you!

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Is there a list of hints/tips on this game anywhere online? If it's better left to trial and error, then fair enough. I just had my stuff washed away by a current and it got me wondering if there was a way to get it back or not.

17. el padre

el padre Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Gliwice, Poland
    I had a moment of "wow" when my stuff drifted away. I suggest to go through this game by trial and error method - more fun and more surprises.

And yes, you can get your stuff back - you just need to swim for it. But better leave your current stuff on a shore before.

18. Foiden

Foiden Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Very nice, so far. Never heard of Brogue before this announcement. Definitely a nice surprise and with some of the best ASCII graphics I've seen in a rogue like. I do love how you can enter the seed to play the same level, someone may have, to give it a go.

I was wondering if the iPad version can be made to show the seed for the level you are currently playing? This would be great to challenge your friends with, or if you want to play the same level on another device you have.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've just downloaded the PC version and had a quick go (killed by a goblin on level 4), great fun indeed. It does however make me realise that the iPad port is a little slow in comparison, in terms of being able to move about quickly and easily.

I wonder if the devs have ever played Link-a-Pix (as seen here, free download)? It uses a cursor in quite a unique way that I haven't seen much in iPad games, it almost simulates using a mouse in that you're able to move the cursor over further distances than you drag your finger. I'm thinking perhaps a similar control method could also be used here.

20. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava