Universal Bridge Constructor Portal (by Headup Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talbs, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Review is strange. This is Bridge Constructor Portal, not Portal Bridge Constructor. It's obvious that it's not Portal, duh. And comparing simulator to The room quest...

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I can tell you that I played around 5 bridge building games on IOS for the last 8 years and this one is the best for me, the controls are solid and it’s easy to setup a bridge and all that, and the portal things are really fun in this game, so I would try it for christmas sakes ha ha.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If you read the review you'll notice the comparison has to do with a game with a good hint system versus a game with no hint system.

4. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Why does this game reminds me of lemmings huh lemmings.

5. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    On my list to buy with other Premiums I’ve seen I thank you for making a new Verison & NOT going the freemium WiFi locked path that others like Last Day Of Work Or Kairosoft did.
    This looks amazing! I bought the others & loved them !
    THANK YOU!

6. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Ahhhh! Hearing GLaDOS’ dulcet tones in the game is worth the entry cost alone :) only a handful of levels in, but happy already!

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Awesome app icon, I must say.

8. Trevor22

Trevor22 New Member

Oct 6, 2016
  9. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Anyhow, in quests you need hint system, and in this game it's useless, unless the hint system will build the bridge for you

10. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #30 y2kmp3, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Does anyone know the history of how the developer managed to negotiate with Valve to get a license to use the Portal IP to make this game? I can only imagine that many other previous developers must have approached Valve in the past with similar requests, all of them had obviously failed. Strange that I couldn't find a news story on the behind-the-scene development of this game on this particular issue... Many news stories (even ArsTech) simply regurgitated the partnership announcement with Valve, but none of them discussed how it actually came about.

11. musk

musk Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Laussane
    My opinion; if you like bridge games, GET IT. I'm really enjoying it so far (tbh, I hadn't much time to play, but this weekend I'm finishing no matter what)

What I don't get is this pre-order thing. What's the point, Apple? It's not a physical game... :confused:

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Played 17 levels now almost 1/3 of the game and it’s great fun, as I said earlier the best bridge building game on IOS to date.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    If you're on iOS 11 there was a little story about this under the Today tab a couple of days ago. Pretty much just boils down to Headup games had the idea, approached Valve who also liked the idea, and then they made the game. Sounded like it was pretty simple!

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Again I think you completely missed the point. It's bad game design to allow players to get stuck.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I thought getting stuck was a part of learning and completing the game...?
    If every solution was immediately obvious without trial and error... I... Dunno...
    What's the point of playing if you're not being challenged?
    I'm sure there's already solutions for every level up on YT and walk through sites as well if you're really absolutely-throw your phone-frustratited. But... Why let yourself reach that point in the first place. It's a game. A puzzle game...
    Maybe I just completely missed the point too.
    =X
    Who knows. I'm old and stupid anyway. Talk out of my booty a lot. =P

Anyway... I finally completed the convoy on stage 34... After many... MANY redesigns of potential structures. It seems (to me) like if you complete the convoy, it'll teach you something you'll need to utilize in the coming stages.
    To be honest though, this is the first Bridge Constructor game that I've ever played. So I could just be enamored with the physics based mechanics and building things type gameplay (it probably helps that I'm a HUGE Portal fan as well)...
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    All of this to say... I'm challenged. And hooked. And it's one of the few puzzlers on iOS that I hope to 100% complete. =P

16. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Syntheticvoid, agreed.

17. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
    best in the Bridge constructor series
    Congratulations on new game release

18. genjuro

genjuro Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Ads?

why did i pay $5 for this if i still have to watch commercials after every level?

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ???
    I haven't experienced any ads what-so-ever...
    I'm pretty sure others would have brought it up if they were as well...
    ?!

20. genjuro

genjuro Member

Jun 28, 2012