Universal Breakneck (by PikPok)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 2, 2015.

1. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ummm... Dumb question... How do you start a new race? All I can find is going left and right through the upgrades menus

2. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Just keep hitting the right arrow. You'll start a new race after the perks screen.

3. Grimstone82

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    So what's everyone's best run? Mine is 107,609.

4. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Thank you! I'll post a score soon

5. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Into the Pod Racer! Wipeout the Dead!

Looks like PikPok is reusing Into the Dead's engine but only faster. I like boosting vs weapons too.

My only issue is much like ItD is takes a long time to figure out the generated contents patterns I felt too much like really good runs were lucky by having no blind evil obstacles.

Thanks for the gameplay videos, Red. Going airborne looks neat.

Game needs something though. Tanks, strafing run jets, turrets, soldiers laying spike traps... something.

6. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    While both Into the Dead and Breakneck use Unity, that's really the only meaningful tech they share, though obviously there are a lot of shared ideas as well as pulling ideas from other references you mention like Wipeout.

The build currently live has less than half the content planned for launch. Also, the current build also has a lot of the "safer" and more static levels which have been built. Expect to see a lot more "movement" and danger along the lines of what you are asking for with the first update, and the final global launch build.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's actually more Race the Sun than Into the Dead. I'd even say it's almost a clone, save for a few of its mechanics and the freemium model.

The visuals are fantastic, but the framerates need to be improved coz in parts where there's dustclouds, smoke or explosions the framerate drops to sub30 fps on my ipad air.

Sounds are pretty good too, but the soundtrack felt like it could be improved.

Controls are spot on. It may be tricky to get close to walls early on, but a few runs later, when it clicks, it becomes second nature... Well, almost.

The freemium mechanics are quite tame, but paying players will have earlier perk slot access meaningit would be difficult to compete with them in the leaderboards. That said though, the gameplay's really akin to Race the Sun, which means it's pretty good.

8. Grimstone82

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    It runs great for me on my iPhone 6, but not so well on my iPad Mini Retina. I have crashed on numerous occasions directly because of performance issues on the iPad. The zone that has the spikes that pop out of the ground (currently zone 4) is the worst of the bunch. I've crashed into seemingly thin air due to "invisible" spikes a few too many times. Like they pop in during a frame drop or something like that. It's getting very frustrating. I have bad eyes so it's much easier to play on the iPad but the performance issues are killing it for me.

All that said, I'm pretty sure this is my current favorite game, I literally cannot put it down. I'm still amazed by the graphics, which are some of if not the best I've seen on mobile, and the controls are spot on. I think PikPok absolutely nailed it with this one. I'm up to 119k so far which has me fairly high up on the leaderboards. I've never seen my name so high up before :)

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We just released v1.0.1 to our softlaunch territories and it should be propagated soon.

Amongst other things, this update includes

• tweaked pursuer behaviour/logic
    • barrel roll animation/behaviour added
    • more power-ups added to levels
    • lots of new zones and hazards added
    • sandstorm and rainy lighting/weather presets added
    • visual improvements to the alien, carbon and rock zones
    • various other fixes and improvements

Enjoy!

10. Grimstone82

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Sweet! Can't wait to start barrel rolling! I'm telling ya, you guys have made an amazing game here. It's my current favorite, and easily one of my all time favorites. Once I pick it up I can't stop playing it. I was actually 10 min late to work the other day because I couldn't put the damn thing down. Not even kidding.

One thing though- do you guys plan on improving the performance on the iPad Mini Retina? It's so much easier for me to play it on the larger screen but the performance is terrible.

11. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Great to hear you are enjoying the game :)

The team is working on improving performance across the board, especially on the iPad Mini Retina. You should see better performance in the final global release build, as well as more content, improvements, and features.

12. Grimstone82

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    So just downloaded the update. Two things- how do you do a barrel roll? And did you guys make the pursuer laser harder to run from? It sure seems like it comes on faster and once the warning sounds start going, it seems like the laser gets you a lot faster than it did before. If you did do this, it sucks and you need to change it back :p If you didn't do it and I'm just crazy, then clearly I've been playing it too much.

13. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    The pursuer itself works a little differently, but is technically slightly harder, so an accurate observation. Though we've balanced that somewhat with more powerups in the world and more boost charging opportunities. The launch build will see more tweaks and balancing work.

Hopefully, you make it to some of the new content as that is the real highlight of the update. Its stuff that mostly appears deeper into the world.

14. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
  15. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We just released v1.1 of Breakneck to our softlaunch territories.

Amongst other things, this build includes

- ghost trails of your best and last runs to help track and tune your performance
    - minor usability fixes
    - performance improvements across the board but especially for the iPad Minis
    - extra collision fixes and refinements
    - lighting adjustments to fix some too-dark areas

Still another update to hopefully come before global launch.

16. Grimstone82

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    #36 Grimstone82, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    I just played the updated game on my iPad Mini Retina and performance is still terrible. In the span of about 20 min I crashed at least 4 times because of dropped frames and general choppiness. It's especially bad on the dynamic levels like the diamond one and the one with the spikes that pop out of the ground. And performance on my iPhone 6 seems to have taken a hit as well. It used to be perfect and butter smooth, but it gets choppy at times now. I just crashed on the shipyards level with rain due to dropped frames. It was actually a really bad stutter. That never happened before on my 6.

Also, FB connect doesn't work and there doesn't seem to be a way to sync progress across multiple devices. I'm on the leaderboard twice with the same name (tortex73). And last I checked I was 9th on my iPhone and 10th on my iPad. How's that for consistency? Ha! :)

17. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. We'll get the team looking at that.

18. Grimstone82

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    No worries, I'm sure you guys will get the kinks ironed out. That's what soft launches are for.

19. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Tanks for understanding.

So, the Facebook connectivity issue should be fixed. Hopefully that works fine for you now.

On the frame rate front, the next two updates (one already in the queue) both have more optimizations coming, again leaning towards the iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air but beneficial to all devices.

Hopefully the first of those updates hits in the next week.

20. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We just released v1.1.1 of Breakneck to our softlaunch territories.

Amongst other things, this build includes

- a new icon!
    - minor performance improvements across the board

Another update including further performance and UI improvements has already been submitted.