Universal #breakforcist (by Lucid Sheep Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Mar 1, 2017.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Absolutely love the game. What I love most is games don't last long. Perfect for mobile. I'm a huge breakout fan but games take forever. Not this Game. Slam bam thank you ma'am!

I would like to see the timer between levels removed. Not really needed since the game pauses when the thumb is lifted.

Some levels do feel like cheap deaths but otherwise fantastic.addictive as hell game kudos.

2. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    #42 J.R. Jalapeno, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Also is there a list of the goals? I only see the current one that pops up.

And an endless mode would be cool. Just keep the wall rolling.

I would love to see different paddle and balls that are unlockable. Maybe they have diff abilities and sizes etc.

3. peteellison

peteellison Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Artist
    Toronto, ON
    #43 peteellison, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Thanks so much! Yeah this was originally conceived as an arcade game, thinking back to the 80's/90's arcade experience that was really quick. We wanted games to last a couple of minutes and be quick to replay.

Also - YES I remember rounds of breakout, alleyway taking forever and getting sort of boring. That was part of the design decision to switch to a narrow vertically oriented playfield which I think allows for a lot more compact/quick action!

4. peteellison

peteellison Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Artist
    Toronto, ON
    There's no list of goals since you have to clear them in order, so we only wanted to show one at a time.

Good suggestions thanks! :) The original concept version I built for exhibitions / parties was just one big endless level; Kevin came up with the idea for splitting it into waves and I think it's much better for it, since the most exciting moments come when you chain a bunch of power-ups in a row and its just total chaos clearing the level, and those few tense moments with one block left. I'd love to maybe bring back an endless mode in a future version for quick score attack!

Thanks everyone who's playing, really happy with the response so far and I love seeing the comments - its encouraging!

5. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I truly feel like the game is perfect the way it is. The only thing I'd like to see more of are stickers maybe. That's it. The games simplicity is a big part of its charm. No consumables, no watching ads to revive, no b.s. Just good clean old school arcade fun.

6. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    holy moly, i'm at the 6 position on the leaderboard.

7. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm at number 3 shockingly

8. peteellison

peteellison Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Artist
    Toronto, ON
    You guys destroyed mine, I'm #9. I need to catch up :)

9. peteellison

peteellison Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Artist
    Toronto, ON
    WE'RE FEATURED ON THE FRONT PAGE TODAY!!!!! I'm gonna cry ;_____; Thank you everyone!

10. raravan

May 18, 2014
    totally deserved. congratz, Pete!

11. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    This game could definitely use more unlockables.

12. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Are the lyrics for the songs available somewhere?

13. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    You created an amazing game. GOTY contender imho.

14. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    been a long time since a game had me on the edge like this one does. Fantastic

I did get a glitch. I missed a ball and another one never came up to use. I watched helplessly as the wall of death crushed my hopes and dreams. I was rocking 6 figures.

15. peteellison

peteellison Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Artist
    Toronto, ON
    Yes I've added them to the Bandcamp page for the soundtrack: https://peteellison.bandcamp.com/album/breakforcist-original-soundtrack

We've done a limited edition 4-song 7" vinyl release in conjunction with The Yetee that's up for pre-order now, pressed on 180gram white vinyl with angry egg label. Its limited to 250 pieces and expected to sell out pretty quickly. http://theyetee.com/shop/detail.php?itemid=PETE-Breakforcist

[​IMG]

16. peteellison

peteellison Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Artist
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks I'm so glad you like it!

Hmmm, I wonder what caused that... I'll let Kevin know, thanks!

17. lucidsheep

lucidsheep New Member

Since you asked, here's a spreadsheet with all 50 goals and what they unlock! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zBjIWOn06usjXGZ-mazxb6QSlIc0OVWQv7qvdv0M0fA/edit?usp=sharing

We've definitely got some requests for an endless mode - I think it would cool to have a "Zen" mode where you can play forever and never die, with an endless wall of blocks. Definitely something we'll consider if we do a feature update!

Funny story, we actually used to have themed balls, paddles and well backgrounds, but cut them due to time and not getting the look right. Pete wanted to really nail one color palette rather than spread ourselves thin. Another thing that may come with an update!

Argh, so sorry about that! Do you remember anything specifically that happened around when the ball disappeared? Maybe a powerup or bomb you triggered?

Thanks for your feedback and positivity everyone!

18. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    It happened about 4 times so far. The only thing I remember that was common every time is the lightning was at the bottom of the screen...

19. raravan

May 18, 2014
    4th position on the leaderboard.

20. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I'm on mission 30 and still have a little less than half of the iMessage stickers and one song left to unlock. Still coming back to this often.

Next goal - beat Roger-NL on the leaderboard. I was only a couple hundred away from beating you, Roger ;)