Universal Break Liner (by Mamau)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mamau, Oct 17, 2016.

1. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    He* :)

I'm not that competitive, although I end up putting a lot of time/effort into games I really enjoy :p

2. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Sorry I meant he I don't know why the heck I said that I am very sorry. I meant no disrespect.

Billy

And no but you usually are damn good in whatever game we play and I can't ever catch up lol

3. kidbeyond

kidbeyond Member

Aug 8, 2016
    #23 kidbeyond, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    What a beautiful, elegant game!

The gameplay is so finely tuned. The visual design: Interstellar Art Deco. Loving the music — 80s synth soundtrack — and the extra musical kick when you hit a new level is perfectly done,

This game is so immersive. After a feverish session, I look up and see little meteor showers behind my eyes, and the whole room starts morphing.

My only craving echoes other posters: that collecting different ships gives you different abilities (or at least a little more cosmetic variety).

Keep up the excellent work!

What framework are you using to develop your games?

4. Oh wow, thank you everybody!
    So stoked about your reception!
    We are still trying to find out to survive as developer, so all the input is super helpful, both for this game and future ventures! I can't promise an update for Break Liner, it depends on how successful it becomes, but if it takes off the slightest, we'll integrate as much of your input as possible!

@Everybody ~ Thanks for giving it a go and dropping a comment! It really makes a difference for a small dev!

@kidbeyond ~ If number of downloads warrant an update, more interesting ships are definitely on the top of our to-do list. It's made in Unity btw. :)

@L.Lawliet ~ Good suggestions all around, I'll have a chat with the programmer and see if any of them can be implemented without too much trouble!

@LordShad0wz ~ Thanks for the in-depth reply! As stated above, we'll definitely look into more customization options. As for the share-button, we cut it to save time, but it was probably foolish. We'll integrate if we get the time!

Thanks again everybody :eek:

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Why did you name the game Break Liner instead of Line Breaker ha ha, it just came to me, it feels more natural calling it Line Breaker but that can be just me, just a thought.

6. @ROGER Name was absolute last resort :(
    It was supposed to be called BREAK, but I didn't verify that if it was available (all-though I thought I did). LineBreaker, Line Breaker, Line Break, Break Line, and 50 better names were allready taken, and I allready made the GFX for the "Break" part of the title. Thus, Break Liner was born. I do agree, it's not optimal. I've allready checked the name for our next title, so it wont happen again!

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I think Break Liner sounds cool and different so don't worry. It's actually more unique than Line Breaker which could be a common app name.

I prefer this name!

8. kidbeyond

kidbeyond Member

Aug 8, 2016
    One more small observation:

On the home screen, you may want to move the Mute / Crown / Ship buttons.

In the midst of a hardcore session of crash ship / restart / crash ship / restart, I'm noticing that my thumb location during play is exactly where the mute button is on the home screen — very bottom, just right of center. So I end up hitting the mute button a lot, instead of restarting.

Move these buttons to the top of the screen, perhaps? Or vertically arranged along the very right edge?

I'm playing on an iPad mini 2, FYI.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

9. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah don't worry it's good enough as Lawliet said.

I know it's hard to come up with a catchy name.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just scored 50. One of the best casual games ever released for iOS, just soooo slick!

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

My thoughts exactly. mini 2 here as well.

I'm having waaaayy more fun with this than I would have ever imagined. Coming to get you Roger!

12. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Love this game. For some reason I almost didn't download it. That would have been a big mistake.

The only thing that bothers me is I haven't been able to figure out how the scoring works. If someone could explain I would be very grateful.

Fantastic game, dev. Great job.

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Hi AKD, I see you coming ha ha, but not on my friends list because Apple removed Gamecenter I deleted all my friends because I was mad, now I regret it of course because you can't send new invites I noticed.

14. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    If you got 10 points, on the next run the counter counts down from 10 and when you get to zero you get 11 points, and than the counter counts down from 11 to zero and than you get 12 and so on.

15. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    The soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful. It is such a crucial partnof this game. The continuity of the melody and the constant upward motion complements each other very beautifully

16. Anotherkellydown

Well that's really dumb. I wondered if you deleted me. Hard to believe you can't add Game Center friends with iOS 10. Poop.

Tips for noobs ;) Don't be afraid to cut through the longer lines twice for a quick 2 points.

Bounce off any black walls if you're slowing down (happens if you don't tap for a while) and avoid the red lines at all cost.

If you have a shield (get one from the blinking lines) don't hesitate to use it to break through any wall if you feel stuck. It's useless if you hit the bottom.

17. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    This hits the mark perfectly for a little mobile game. One touch controls, challenging, quick, and beautiful. The ads are not too intrusive but still well worth the $1 to disable them. I also like the progression system. It has a "beat the high score" feeling of an arcade while still a sense of progression. Highly recommended.

I agree with the others about the menu button location, I have hit them accidentally a few times.

18. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Thanks for those tips! Cutting through lines more than once would not have occurred to me, but it is extremely helpful. Did I cut through a line 3 times or am I imagining that?

I played a 45 min session after lunch today. I am obsessed with Break Liner! The mix of minimal design, color, and music reminds me of Incurve. I still remember how much fun it was discovering Incurve and hunting for high scores with everyone. I see a bright future for BL and me...

19. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    No, your not imagining that, I cut trough a line 4 times, only once though.

20. Anotherkellydown

Yay it's PK!! =)

Glad that helped! Now that you mention it, I can see why you thought of incurve. Good times! =)

Been playing on my phone at work the last couple days to try to catch up to where I was on iPad. Think I'm up to 32. It would be sweet it your score would sync to other devices.