Universal Breach & Clear - (by Gun.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I think there are gonna be some epic B&C TA tourneys down the track!!

2. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    So has it got multiplayer?

3. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Ya, too bad I have to wait on the multiplayer update to slap you around!

4. Twenty One

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Coming soon...

5. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Breach and slap

6. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Seeing as its in NZ you would think it would be in Australia too. But no :(

7. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Nope. It won't drop here until about 8am. Sometimes 10.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yeh what is up with that? Why do the aus releases have to wait where as the NZ release is at like 12am, maybe even 10pm their time. Why can't the apps release at 12am AEST?

9. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Based on the video the answers to both of these are: no other teams ("around the world"? thats a laugh) and no pistols, which is really weird imho.

10. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Not sure but its beyond being not fair. We're stuck here with Russell Crowe while they're playing new releases every freakin week :(

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Any idea how many missions there are?

I gotta admit a few of the features are negatives for me. Rather than post them in clear text and upset someone, I'll put them as spoilers. Don't look if you can't take negative feedback.

1. Future Multiplayer makes me want to wait till the future to get it.
    2. Temporary goodies for early adopters that will disappear with the next update... not a positive at all for me since I typically remove games over time. Especially games where I'm waiting on updates to fulfill promised features/content.
    3. IAP extras that may not be needed, but I always get a little sick feeling when they exist, especially when they are talking about adding Multiplayer which very well could mean pay to win multiplayer (or IAP hack to win) depending on what is available
    4. Introductory price is good, but I have been burned with promised updates and introductory prices that took forever to complete. Not that it was this dev, but I take it as a cautionary thing not to buy into the future and instead buy games when they are complete after the content is added. I'd rather pay more and feel like I'm buying a more complete package rather than just supporting the dev to pat myself on the shoulder for supporting the dev.
    5. Tutorial Videos. As Sanuku pointed out, kind of pointless without someone explaining what's going on. The tutorial level looks like it'll help a lot, but possibly not enough to get a grip for noobs like me.

12. shaver

shaver Member

Sep 6, 2012
    It takes a while to get good written descriptions of game (or even application) interaction, and I suspect that, like most games, this was being changed and tuned right down to the wire. Much easier to re-record a video, though as mentioned above some voiceover would help.

Very few indie studios are too cheap to do something small that will help their players enjoy the game. Some are literally down to "eat or re-render intro video" by the end, though. And in a forum laden with "0.99 for a game to play on my $500 device? I'll wait for someone else to try it out", "too cheap" is a pretty high bar indeed!

13. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Usual question: Game Center achievements and if so, how many?

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Nightc1,
    If those are your only complaints so far then I'm happy with that.
    At least half of those have been answered fairly already by the dev. (Eg thing about the IAP).

15. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    UK, German, and Russian forces are being planned for future updates. We admittedly offer way too many US forces off the bat, but we made that decision because the overlap of gear between US forces is pretty heavy.

There are no pistols right now. We decided to go all in on assault rifles because, as far as I've been told, ARs are preferred for military breach and clear tactics. The game was initially planned to be ultra realistic, it wasn't until later on that realism took a backseat to fun. At that point we didn't have the resources to add pistols (would require new animations across the board). We're not ruling pistols out for future updates.

Basically, the video tutorials exist because things got down to the wire resource-wise before release and we had to figure out some way to get tutorials in quickly. I had read feedback that the Frozen Synapse video tutorials were awful, but I also felt like FS had an order of magnitude more complexity than B&C. I can't properly gauge this (I'm too close to the project), but the tactics in B&C felt simple enough to understand in practice (once you use them, they should make sense). The videos are really just intended to show you the input for the tactics.

We will definitely consider changing those to full tutorial missions in the future.

16. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Between 35 and 40, I can't remember the exact number. I think it might be 38?

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks for that info Josh.
    Pistols are something I'd personally like to see at some time in the future.
    Despite they being next to useless in a breach scenario, they definitely would be a fun addition.
    As for tutorials, I dunno, looks pretty intuitive to me.

18. Twenty One

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hOAOLihlh50

Born in New Zealand in '64
    A hot-headed actor named Russel Crowe
    He loves to act but he loves one thing more
    FIGHTIN' 'ROUND THE WORLD!

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I don't know why people get hung up on tutorials. If that's enough to turn you off then.....find something else to do.
    I only understand the concern when I game is outrageously complicated, like say a board game or something.
    Half the time I end up skipping the entire tutorial, and getting bored and just trying to click the fastest way through the tutorial that I can.

20. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    As long as it is constructive, no developer can thrive without negative feedback. It's the only way we can make a better game!

About the IAPs: We've implemented everything in such a way that buying silver will not give you the edge in a match. The best guns are locked to actual progress in the game - a player that unlocks those guns through normal play, will have enough silver to buy them when they unlock. On top of that, the player with the better strategy in an encounter will always trump the player who spent money. We absolutely strove to abolish any pay to win scenarios - that stuff sucks, flat out. The only reason the IAPs are still in there is because it will help us ultimately be able to continue supporting B&C down the road. If someone feels inclined to buy silver, it really just helps us out a little extra. :)

The game also has charity patch IAP's and 100% of the proceeds from those go to the associated military charity. We will be expanding our list of charities in the future - hopefully to ones in other countries.

As for future content, we've been very good about supporting our games even when they flop - just look at Saturday Morning RPG. We're still working on that even though it still hasn't covered a month of our salaries! It's probably a stupid move, but we really don't want to burn our fans and customers. We care about you guys.