Boycotting all devs who use the In App purchase feature in iPhone OS 3.0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by brewstermax, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Please Devs. Don't add this to your games

1. Add it to games

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Don't add it to games

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Where is Steve?

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I don't think there will be less Lite apps. I get email every day from people begging me to put more content into my Lite version, even though the full version is only $0.99. Free will always be the only option for a lot of shoppers.

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Just a question, don't answer it if you're not sure about it yet or not yet willing to give out the info. Would you consider charging $0.99 (or more) for the updates that add 9 puzzles to TanZen? (Or maybe more puzzles in a less frequent update)

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Perhaps its just how the consumer has been trained to get free updates on all their games. I don't know, but I still don't like the idea.

LWBS, I understand your POV, but I don't see how it could even possibly be good for the consumer. And adding more maps in a racing game, or an FPS is a pretty bad idea too. IMO, the only practical use is for things like Tweetie, or Beejive. Maybe pay for more services on to those. Or skins or things like that. That is fair. The most likely use of this new in app purchases are dumb. I can't believe that Apple did this BS.

4. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    They need to have this feature for things like ebooks and games with real expansions.

5. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    When I was watching the preview, I thought that the DLC would be awesome, as it would be very useful. Then I saw how it would be used in games. That turned me off the update AND Sims 3. I really hope EA don't do this. I'm willing to pay more for a full game than a game that charges $1 for every little part of the game, such as furniture and clothing, which are basically just eye candy.

6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    A lot of people here seem to be ranting and raving over something that might possibly potentially happen in some game, maybe... and that's pointless.

What I would like to see is for some genuine bona fide published developers come on here and give some actual real-world scenarios of exactly how they will use this feature, when available. No made-up fictitious examples, but rather genuine intentions of what they will do.

That way, we can make judgements on actualities, not possibilities...

7. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    No, charging $0.99 for nine puzzles would not be a good thing to do. I think that would be a ripoff, and very rude to my loyal customers. If TanZen were a new app, coming out in July, perhaps this model would be a good fit for it, but on a much larger scale. But really, not a lot is known about this new feature. I think it will be an exciting addition to the App Store, that some devs will abuse, and some will legitimately thrive from it.

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Now see, I think if you're adding 10 new maps to a racing game, a $1 would be an incredible value for what's being added. The time involved in creating those maps is considerable, and the playing time added to your game is also worth well more than a dollar.

What I think this boils down to is that everyone has been trained to believe everything should be obscenely cheap, and all updates are free. Devs cannot survive on that model forever.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something I think you guys are also failing to realize is that iPhone game developers and publishers live and die by their reputation in the community. Do you really think publishers like Freeverse or ngmoco would even be on the map if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of word of mouth they get? The good developers are smart enough to realize that as soon as they start abusing their customers, then can kiss their App Store success stories goodbye.

But, as BrettArchibald just posted, everyone is really getting carried away with doomsday scenarios, worst cases, and what-if's. The developers/publishers we know and love now will still be pumping out good games, and if they use microtransactions I'm sure all the additional items will be priced sensibly and provide a good value.

If the EA's of the world want to nickel and dime gamers to death... Welp, that's their prerogative.

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    ^ Quote this.

11. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i am just curious - isn't now possible to make update cost something?

12. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree and will not tolerate the future pricing structure....Any dev's listening time to pick a side....

13. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I don't undestand some of you, really.
    Everybody likes free stuff, okay.
    But suppose that someone doubles the experience given by its game working night and day, you still refuse to give him anything. He has to work for free. It's just selfish.
    I don't mean that this will always happen, but you can simply choose when it's worth. Someone will be motivated to make much better improvements than the ones related to free updates. That's why this can be a good thing for customers, too.

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Here's my impressions (mostly on the DLC) :

Well even though all this stuff sounds great, but the down side is that indie developers and big name developers/publishers will abuse the DLC for games nickel and dime you for every little thing. So imagine this, you buy a app thats has nothing on it and you dont know it lets say is a FPS or a 3rd person shooter (like BIA). And you pay your money and when you go to open the app the FPS or 3rd person shooter has nothing in it or hardly anything in it like 2 levels and 2 guns. Well, you ar like WTF wheres all the levels and weapons the app description on the app store said!?!?!?! The you come to realize that if you want more levels you will have to pay extra money for more levels and weapons. Well, what makes me maad is that at first developers will abuse the system and charge the crap out of you for every little thing. So consumers what would you rather do? Pay upfront and get everything or pay 99 cents for nothing then paying more than the orignal game for all the DLC to get the full game? Me? I rather pay upfront soo I know what I'm getting the real thing.

I'm boycotting devs that abuse the system.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#35 Eli, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    I am sure your dollar will be sorely missed by the developers who choose to use microtransactions in a reasonable and responsible manner.

Solutions:

1. Buy games from developers and publishers you trust to not abuse the system.
    2. Wait for reviews before buying anything.
    3. Don't buy games the second they hit the app store without finding out how complete they are.

16. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Well why didn't he/she work night and day to release the whole game at once...why do they want to nickel and dime me. I don't want to buy a game play it, forget about it, then go back to it only to find that in order to play online or something you have to fork over X amount of dollars....Just sell me a full game...even promised updates are a little annoying. If you have a half-baked game....leave it in the oven till it's done.

17. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy

Yep.
    C'mon, we are on touch arcade.
    We almost know every single bit of each game before buying them.

18. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    #38 sam the lion, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    I was not referring to half-backed games.
    I was referring to complete games worth their money and expansions worth their money, too. Even the most perfect game can be improved. If you buy the expansion pack of a PC game, this doesn't make you think that the original game was shallow.
    I agree on half-backed games and promised updates, even when they are free. If I don't see what I like in the CURRENT version of a game, I simply don't buy it.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Game development isn't free, even if you're doing it freelance on your own time, your time still has value. How is it at all nickel and diming you if a developer decides to test the water with a game they intended to release for $3... Only instead of selling it for $3, they cut down their development time, include 1/3 of the levels, and push it out on the App Store to see if people like it or not.

If no one buys it, they managed to save a significant amount of time they would have spent developing levels no one would play. If the game takes off, they can release the two additional level packs for a buck a pop to get to the original $3 target price the developer wanted to sell their game at.

In a situation like this, if you buy a game and get bored with it, you're actually saving money because they're not forcing you to throw out the full price of the app upon your initial purchase.

20. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    I made this comment in one of the other threads about this topic, but...

Selling someone a game that claims to have a ton of features but not mentioning that said features are "purchasable features" is illegal. It's called a bait and switch. So any app that is using the micro transaction model will have to inform you before you buy it that the game contains micro transactions. They can't say "Game X contains 500 cars" and not tell you that you have to purchase those cars separately. So you shouldn't worry too much about being duped by Dev's. If you don't want to pay for games with micro transactions then don't.

Now as for paid updates. This could be used very well or very poorly. If a Dev makes a complete game and then wants to expand upon that game with a content filled update, why shouldn't they be compensated for their hard work? Now, selling people a gun for a dollar is a rip off. But if Devs do that they will soon find that no one will purchase their games or updates, and will have to change their ways or go out of business. You as the consumer have all the power here no one is forcing you to buy anything. If you don't like something don't buy it and things will change. But calling for a boycott before we see how things pan out is a bit premature don't you think?