Boycotting $10 gameloft games etc

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acidshaman, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #241 Pacificsun0481, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    Project sword in game characters:

http://img.slidetoplay.com/screenshots/project-sword-1.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4949578516_8a7fc92ed0_d.jpg

Epic Citadel/sword landscape:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/project-sword-iphone-ipad-screenshot.jpg

3ds graphics abilities:

http://jamiegore.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/3ds_residenter_06ss06_e3.png

(makes ios res evil look like inexcuseable poo)

Kid Icarus (nintendo first party title, obvious ios A4 is just as capable)

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/674x281/k_n/Kid-Icarus.jpg

Metal gear 3ds

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3.jpg

Gameloft:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/zombie-infection-iphone-screenshot-lion-fight.jpg

http://pocketfullofapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/zombie_infection_2.jpg

http://img.slidetoplay.com/screenshots/gangstar-miami-vindication-trailer_1.jpg

Just some examples of the compare and contrast. Obviously, A4 can render as good if not better than the 3ds. Look at the chest of the project sword character, or the landscape of epic citadel and then look closely at kid Icarus or res evil.

Not much difference when you look closely at what is possible if not equal on both platforms, but when you stop and think about this one can't help but wonder why gameloft swindles us with their "HD" releases.

When I see the possibility I cannot help but feel underwhelmed and wish they would delay some titles and make them better.

2. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
  3. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Man, this thread is derp.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    All games should be free, and all efforts regardless of monetary, time, and resource contributions made during said games production should solely be for the benefit of my entertainment.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This argument is so... I don't even know.

There is not a lot of money in making iOS games, in general. Being able to make a simple game with not a lot of dev time and a small staff allows their game to be sold at the cheap prices that are prevalent on the App Store. That's really what it comes down to. The more "console like" an iPhone game is, the more it costs to make. The potential for return on investment for developing a game like that is really, really low.

Chances are that as the newer devices penetrate the market more thoroughly, then more high end games will come. It's just flat out too soon and doesn't make any business sense for a developer. As was said, Gameloft has found a formula that works for them. They can crank out the games they make reusing resources, utilizing smaller dev teams and less dev time, and sell them for a decent price and make money from them. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. Just because a vocal minority is demanding immediate satisfaction with the newest technology they have purchased does not mean that developers have any obligation at all to cater to these very few.

If Epic or somebody wants to go all out and develop a crazy game that rivals the 360 and try selling it for $40 to recoup costs that went into it, well, I'm all for it. Maybe they will be wildly successful and it will start a new trend on the App Store. I would love that actually. But it's just not very realistic at this point in time.

lololololol. This.

6. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    i agree with acidshaman to the point of not getting games at 10 dollars. I usually just wait until the game drops to .99 to get it as almost every gameloft game does.

7. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Holy crap! This thread has turned from pure comedy into a frickin essay writing contest lol.

I still can't believe how self-entitled some people come across...

At PacSun, if it takes you that much writing to make a point, you're not going to win many arguments. I can't even be bothered to read all that jiberish, which I'm pretty sure was at least partly, aimed at me.

Either be patient and wait or go play a console. The incessant whining just makes you seem like a spoiled brat with no appreciation for what it takes to actually make a game. It doesn't matter if it's possible or not, companies want to make money, not satisfy every self-entitled tech nerd.

I wish my iPhone had X-Ray vision and could print $100 bills and project holograms and teleport.... :rolleyes:

8. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #248 Pacificsun0481, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    You make very valid points. I do understand that the market dictates the games which are made. I also understand most developers for the platform are small teams who don't have the resources to expend the time and monetary investment to hit those "big budget" games.

I know Gameloft tends to reuse a formula or cycle throughout their game offerings. At what point though, do we say "been there done that", and realize that the tech is now in capable hands and its time to utilize it. If we wish to see changes and disruptions to core business and products that are finally worthy of the technology they run on, then we, as gamers need to be vocal enough and ask that they make an attempt.

Not graphically speaking, but looking at the blue ocean strategies both nintendo and apple employed. The audience for games was content at the time with the control pad. Nintendo decided to switch gears, toward motion in hopes of success following the gamecube. They tried a method unseen and in no way safe. Their move paid off.

Apple tried a new approach to smart technology with the touch screen, and prior made the mp3 mainstream with the iPod. That was at a time when cd was still the way to play music. The risk paid off.

Basically the tech and visual power is moving forward and the devices that can power better tech are now coming into stride, with millions of iPhone 4 and ipads in consumers hands. It's time a developer like gameloft utilizes their capital and becomes a huge force to make a shift.

I really commend Gameloft for the audacity to rip console titles off and bring the concepts to the app store. I find more often than not my iPad version is 10$ and half baked. That dissatisfies me.

I would be happy to pay ds game prices for games that are worth ds game prices.

My last parallel is toward Microsoft, and let's say gameloft. Epic may follow Apple and make a disruption and become the huge player by taking chances and proving what can be done and singlehandedly shift the market, where as gameloft might ending like Microsoft. They may end up playing catch up and look outdated and archaic due to a lack of employing new, but instead using recycled themes and games.

Steve jobs succeeds not because of the trend a market says they want, but what he sees they'll need. He has that ability to see the current standard and disrupt that to deliver what people thought was was undeliverable.

Long winded I am, though I liked your post. Maybe because we're fellow sacramentans but I digress...and if you look at the images posted a few posts earlier, it's time some developers decide to at least announce whether any titles will employ the unreal tech or not because, I'd like to know. I'm sure more gamers than not, would also.

Ps

In the interview with epic he stated the tech would go to current licensees. Ubisoft and gameloft are subsidiaries of each other, much like epic and chair ent. So hopefully they have an ability to utilize the engine because they pretty much already have it.

Pss

I am very interested in aralon, hoping there is an iPad build. I commend them for scope and the fact that they are pushing to deliver and they are not the funded juggernaut that is gameloft.

9. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

Repost because images speak louder than words

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
  11. Tesio

Tesio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Pacificsun0481 please for the love of god, stop calling Gameloft a division of Ubisoft. The founder of Gameloft is the BROTHER of the founder of Ubisoft. They do not have ANY shared staff! I don't know why you think they are the same and can just hand each other whatever tech they want. There is NO WAY Ubisoft can just give Gameloft an Unreal 3 License.

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Because some people don't let facts get in the way of their opinions.

13. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Don't touch my Gameloft please....Gameloft devs, don't read this thread and continue to develop as you are doing...good job...and thanks for all the sales u do! :D

14. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    Finally.

15. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4545678.stm

"Ubisoft's venture into gaming on the go appears to be paying off.
    Its mobile gaming subsidiary, Gameloft, has sold almost as many games as Ubisoft, said boss Yves Guillemot.

The French maker of titles such as Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and King Kong is competing with other game giants for a slice of the mobile pie.

Mobile gaming is expected to explode, with analysts predicting that 220 million people will be playing games on mobile phones by 2009..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameloft

"The company, founded by the Guillemot brothers, founders and owners of video games leader Ubisoft, primarily creates games..."

16. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I only read the first page of this - not really bothering to read where it has gone.

I have spent more than 50 dollars on games for the PC or consoles that turned out to be busts. Happens.

17. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    He's not a fanboy. And nor am I.

Gameloft games, using Gangstar: Miami Vindication as the example here, aren't fantastic, and I'm not saying that, but they are still pretty fun while they last.

Now, from what I have read of this thread (~80 posts) You seem to be constantly repeating that "ZOMFG GAEMLOAF GAEMS R $10!!!!"... or something to that effect. Where that logic is flawed is that almost all Gameloft games released in the past 12 months have been $6.99 to begin with.

Sure! Gameloft do make games that are almost the same as games from other consoles, but why is that a bad thing? Like I said, they may not be THE BEST games, but they are still a lot of fun and in my opinion deserve the price at which they are sold.

No you.

IN CONCLUSION:
    Gameloft games are not fantastic, but pretty good, if you have a problem with them here's my 3 step program to help you out.

1. Cry me a river
    2. Build me a bridge
    3. GET THE F$#@ OVER IT!