Bounce On 2: Drallo's Demise (by Team Phobic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Financial Manager
    I'm pretty sure Team Phobic is aware of the "No Time Exists" for boss levels, as I have emailed them twice earlier about it.

Nice suggestions for updates, though most where mentioned before and most likely will be added.

2. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    The thread went dead!

Good to know they're aware of these things. I've been through almost all of the levels for time runs; now it's your turn :). Don't really want to go near 3-12 again for the moment, it seems to bottom out the frame rate on my iPhone 3g with all the fireball action, and that's just frustrating.

Taking the total of all current best times gives us a total completion time of just over 1 hour 42 minutes. That's a bit crazy imo given how long I spent by comparison.

I got annoyed by 3-12 last night and finally went to check out the leaderboards in BO1. I'm not even close on most of its levels! It is interesting to recall that the levels were mainly longer in BO1 and of course with the need to collect all gems on each level for a time, things were quite different.

Even with my comments about the BO2 interface - BO1's made me go wtf a bit. No 'restart level' button from the in-game menu even! But there is a one-tap 'main menu' in it. The menus are more responsive in general, bring on the next gen iPhone!

Just one other thing I'm not sure of: is progress stored within plus+ like it is for Rolando 1 / BO1? It still takes ages to load the progress dialog in BO1 and BO2 loads rather quickly, but losing progress in it would be nasty.

3. Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Financial Manager
    It's bound to get quite around here during the holidays. =)

I'm glad you made it through all the levels. I to am noticing that the levels are really short, nothing like BO1 at all. Seriously, some levels are like 20 seconds long, haha. I guess now it really is a pick up and play quickly type of game.

Sadly, I have the undying urge to always collect the TP coin for each level... and on top of that I really haven't had much time to play, been beta testing a game. So, I'm only on World 2 right now level 8 as I speak.

BTW, I can't wait to be done with collecting the coins and casually playing through. Why? ... well #1 on the leaderboard has been calling me :cool:

4. galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I was thinking today about BO1 vs. BO2 and how they are different. BO1 has much longer levels and I think there was a bit more creativity in BO1. I really liked BO1 levels 2 3, and 4. BO2 I like level one a lot, but kinda flat on 2 and 3. But we'll see if they grow on me.

I do like BO2 though. :)

5. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Indeed, BO1 only got a leaderboard very late in the piece whereas I feel BO2 was designed with one in mind hence most levels being solely about time. The gold medal times in BO1 were also often pretty damned fast already and as such the range in times listed on plus+ would tend to be quite small. I wonder what could be achieved if they took off the all gems requirement for times in BO1 :).

As mentioned earlier I agree on the creativity later on in BO1, the fact that they clearly learned as they went along - the experiments in scrolling levels on world 4 and the playing with different gameplay elements in different worlds.

I guess we still have that to some extent with the orbital platform focusing on all manner of annoying gravity effects and drallo's fortress focusing on lava and fireballs and jumps involving such things, but nothing so novel as blocks and switches, and the only real use of water is briefly near the end of 3-14, whereas it was a major focus of BO1 world 3 ... perhaps this is indicative that they could have had more variety in BO2 - especially seeing as the multiple keys per level thing already discourages that to some extent.

I started going through BO1 again and I'm finding its physics slightly less impressive than I remembered, in comparison to BO2 - bounce seems more sluggish and that seems less conducive to time trials as well ... although you didn't seem to have too much trouble Mr Golden Boy. Oh and I can't wait for you to be going for times properly either - as I currently sit at #1 on 82/104 levels with no consistent competition ... and I remember your warning, you are quite good at this game ;).

Oh and whoever decided it would be a good idea to make me jump between lightbulbs is kind of mean.

6. galaxygrrl

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    #106 galaxygrrl, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah, I remember when I found that water level where the whole level is in water - you have to speed to the top and then speed to the bottom and up again. I thought it was so cool.

I also liked the blue and red gravity thing on level 2 in BO1.

But Parachute is so cool in BO2 and so is the little ninja.

@JonasWillis My iPhone crashed twice on me on the kill Drallo level when I get the area with the coins. My phone is jailbroken, so maybe is not worth supporting, but I can't seem to get through it.

Of course, I do think Drallo knew he was toast and just crashed my iPhone. Kinda a sore loser don't you think. :)

7. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    He is just -that- powerful, and clearly self-aware, and aware that we are just playing a game ... that he can crash lol. I haven't seen that crash but then again I have only completed the Drallo level once - last one I can say that about actually, better get to it!

Have seen some oddities around bosses though, as mentioned earlier it doesn't list times in game just 'no best time exists'. And I played through Teddy again a few times, and managed to beat Golden Boy's time, and now it suddenly says I don't even have that key and I'm down to 98% complete for world 1. At least the 100% all complete achieve hasn't been taken off me, but it's weird! And I didn't get credit for killing Glitch without losing a life - at least I certainly assumed that restarting the level reset things for that, it's just inconvenient otherwise ... BO1 styles lol.

8. galaxygrrl

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    He just knew he was toast and had met his match.

Just wondering what other platformers you like, since we seem to have similar tastes.

9. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    Just picked it up...
    Probably one of the best oldschool platties out there in my opinion
    Very nice

10. baldy9

baldy9 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Just noticed BO2 in the New and Noteworthy section on iTunes.

[​IMG]

(I'm from the UK, don't know if it will just be the UK store or worldwide)

11. galaxygrrl

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    It's not in the US store, but BO1 was featured last week a lot, so maybe that is why.

Also, for some strange reason, it seems the people who do the merchandising for the iTunes USA do not seem to like platformers much. They tend not to give them that much love.

12. Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Financial Manager
    Detected To Bounce

Dear Bounce On 2,

Oh how I miss and adore you. I'm so so sorry for neglecting you lately. You are my favorite iPhone game to date and your older brother Bounce On still holds a special place in my heart :p. Please, know that I will soon put my finishing touches on you, surely you haven't forgotten how soft they feel. :cool:

Edit: Just noticed I spelled dedicated - detected in the title, sorry Bounce =(.... I disappoint yet again.

13. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    @Golden Boy: Well your new time on Teddy is kind of scary; I can't work out if there's a strategy for getting a double jump in and making him just jump and drop rather than spinning, which wastes time. I was quite proud of ripping 10 sec off the best time for 1-10 A Tricky Descent, and getting it under 20 sec total, judging from some of your crazy BO1 times I'm sure you'll take it below 10 sec :D.

@galaxygrrl: Re other platformers, as far as iPhone has gone, big Rolando fan, less so Rolando 2; I enjoyed the Monkey Ball games for what they were, but without any online leaderboards, or even any saving of times in #2, they lack replayability. We already discussed Soosiz and its being too long for what it offers - another nod to BO1's staggered release style maybe. I got Rick Rocketson when it was on sale at one point, but didn't think a lot of that, and haven't gone for any other platformers for the device so maybe I should be asking you :).

For the past, I discovered the older Mario games much later than I should have, and then only played them on a friend's old NES - I liked them a lot but did not get good at them. Other standouts, Twin World and Fury of the Furries, both early '90s and the latter probably takes top spot from what I can remember at the moment - awesome music, fun and tricky levels ... wish someone could get it on the iDevices!

14. IUbball22

IUbball22 Active Member

Oct 23, 2009
    How do you beat 3-14??? I'm at the part with the lava and all those arrows and I have no idea where to go. Any help?

15. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    That part was responsible for an awful lot of deaths both times I cleared the level. Attempted spoiler hiding: There are arrows coming towards you and then if you jump up they face the other way, right? You have to go to the edge, jump out to the right, quickly flip the device over to land on the opposite ledge, and repeat that process 5 or 6 times before you get to go to the next obstacle, more arrows. GL.

16. galaxygrrl

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    OMG, you are my gaming dubbelganger. That is totally what I thought of those games. You might try Edge or Chop, Chop Ninja too. Not quite BO 1 and 2 or Rolando 1, but I totally enjoyed both.

17. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Oh yeah Edge, forgot about that one lol. I found several levels on it just frustrating though, especially those last three they added a while back ... and I never got to trying to compete with some of the insane times people posted. It was a very cool concept though. And I guess I'll have to look up chop chop ninja!

18. galaxygrrl

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    #118 galaxygrrl, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    I loved Chop, Chop Ninja. Its easy to go through, but its very, very entertaining. I wish they would add more levels.

You might like Plushed too, I was not a huge fan, but I played through it, so that says something

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Agree about Chop Chop Ninja and Plushed being great titles. I'd actually check out Giana Sisters too. It's pretty Mario-like, and I like it more than the other two. Nothing can compare to the Bounce Ons though :)

I've been neglecting 2 lately as well, and I'm feeling pretty guilty.:eek:

20. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Tried out the lites for Plushed and Chop Chop Ninja. The latter is rather a laugh although it seems to be mainly about mad tapping; controls are a bit of a pain, and I was jumping far more than I intended. Plushed seems like a nice balance between puzzler and platformer with a bit of wacky story added in - reminded me a bit of old school Dizzy Egg games. The Open Feint achieves suggest there are only 9 levels in full .. that seems a shame; no sign of developing content?

Re BO2, yeah come on guys, I managed to beat a few more of GB's times, soon I'm going to be stuck with trying to beat times on 3-12 to 3-14 again ><.

While I think of it, playing BO1 more recently has been annoying with its constantly suggesting I check out BO2 at the menu screen! I'm hoping they take this away soon, and while at it fix the crash bugs that are still quite intact, on launch and more reliably on the world 3 boss level. Also for the BO1 achievements, the 'defeat 100 ...' are really annoying; for the followers I assumed the one where you get metal ball and run through 6 at once would be the easiest, but it doesn't seem to count :(, I'll probably get 300% complete first lol.