iPhone Boss Monster by Plain Concepts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kedens, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    ok, let's compare notes and see. the guy that brought this up at BGG said "seems to be rigged to only give you the frog king, mummy, floating brain (Cerebellus), and maybe one other". HOWEVER, i've had Cleopatra, Cerebellus, and Draculord so that seems to refute his claim that it's rigged. which ones have you gotten? how bout anyone else playing just the free version?

i wnat to support the dev too but i don't play multiplayer and 2 player mode is fine with me. i'm going to wait and see when (if) the expansions come if they're worth the money.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have played the real life game with the tools expansion and it really makes things far more interesting. These tools are class specific and if the appropriate class arrives in town they'll have that tool, essentially giving that hero a unique perk other than just a bag of hp. What makes things even cooler is that IF you manage to defeat a hero with a tool, you will then have a one time little perk you as the dungeon master can use based on that tool. So the trick then is do you want to take on a far more difficult hero for that chance at that one time handy perk if you manage to defeat him?

3. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
  4. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Wanted to like this, but just really couldnt get into it.

5. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    again, i'd really like to know if people playing the free version are seeing most of the 8 bosses or just a select few. for laughs i started the game 15 times (start - boss selected - exit - repeat) and got Draculord 5 times, Cleopatra 7 times, and Cerebellus 3 times. i'm no statistician but i think random means i should have seem more than just 3 of the bosses in those 15 tries. i emailed the devs and we'll see what they say if (big if) they get back to me.

i only have one intelligent thought about this. the game knows how many games i've won so far. do you think maybe the game is only selecting the "easier Bosses" based on the fact that i have so few wins thus far? then once my W-L record gets better the "harder Bosses" open up? dunno, just a thought.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm, it's always Draculord, Cerebellus, or Cleopatra for the player here (while the AI invariably gets King Croak). If you go to the IAP page and tap on the full expansion unlock, it states:

This would strongly suggest that the last four bosses are intentionally unavailable in the free version.

7. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #47 Mack the Knife, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    which i never did since i wasn't planning on buying the game just yet. thanks

8. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    #48 Mj1ggy, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Any impressions from people who have paid for the iap? I'm enjoying the game so far but can't tell if there's enough depth to justify paying. The only other multiplayer card game I've purchased was Star Realms and I got my money's worth with interest from that game. Does playing the different bosses or having 3-4 player games really expand the game? Are people playing the multiplayer? I guess I'm concerned that there just aren't enough cards to give the game legs.

9. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    Boss Monster has 155 cards, Star Realms has 100 as far as "legs" go. as LordGek stated above, the expansions offer more cards and (at least in the Tools of Hero-Kind expansion) a different game mechanic but you have to have the full game (IAP) to add the expansions. the additional bosses add a little variety, who might go first and their one time perk. i too am interested in "how much fun" 3-4 player games are but against the AI as i don't play online. personally, i'm waiting a bit to check out the PC version before i decide to invest.

10. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #50 CalinR, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    The replay value is somewhat low now, cause despite having 155 cards, only like 24 are basic room cards, and 10+ are spell cArds. I'm no math person, but given the fact that you're gonna hold a hand of about 8 cards during a game, and there're only a handful of viable winning room and spell combinations, the replay value"s lower than I'd like it to be currently, but I hear good things about the item expansion.

I haven't played a lot of games, maybe under 10, but I've found the spells to be incredibly situational, and not useful unless very specific card setups and circumstances happen. There's also a card that multiplies it's attack value by the amount of monster rooms in the dungeon. I've never lost a game when it popped up, or won one when the AI got it, so that alone kinda killed it for me. I think monster menagerie's way too OP.

I played star realms and wasn't impressed enough to buy it for the same reason, that there wasn't any reason to play it multiple ways strategically. If you're ok with that, there really are much worse ways to blow 7 bucks than buying this game. But I think it's pretty simple, you're able to use the full deck without buying it, and even if I'm wrong, I know for a fact you can view the card gallery and make your mind up after looking at all the cards and seeing how they work together. I wish I had waited to buy it cause I think the short game time was initially due to the limited amount of cards, but I hate not being to set a victory point limit in any of these card/board game apps. In real life, I could just be like, oh wait, now I need 15 souls to win.

11. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Yeah those were pretty much exactly my thoughts. For now I think I'll just enjoy what I've got, see what happens when I reach 40 wins (new heroes), and see what the expansions bring. I like the quick play time and the game mechanics and I guess I have a soft spot for the art style because it's got me hooked for now but I don't think it will last.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm thinking that 40 wins will just be alternative art, no actual new mechanics/twists.

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Anyone able to see what I'm missing here?

Mid game, unable to progress because there's no more turn timer displaying and well, I'm clicking around and there's just nothing to do. No way to progress at all.

I simply have to add, like a few have said already, and in my 2C now, the UI of this game is well, sub par.
    Just to pick one of the nuances, I get that the theme of the game is playing on the 16 or 32 bit or whatever thing, but that doesn't mean that the text display should be an eye strain. Plenty of it is all but illegible even on an iPad. Poor design at its best.
    Also is there even a way to see what my opponents hero's level up ability is mid game?
    Better stop before I keep going on a rant about more.

Sucks because this was one of my most anticipated games.
    Just hope that maybe they'll take a good hard look at this and perhaps make some ergonomic changes.

Attached Files:

14. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    It looks like a glitch, since that facedown card should add itself as the last dungeon room. I agree with the rest of the stuff, horrible UI. No way I know to see the enemy boss monster's level up skill, you kinda just have to learn them from playing as far as I can tell.

As an aside, I can't believe the devs haven't been around here yet, anybody else noticed that?

15. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    they did respond to my email within a day. not one problem on my iPad2, but many on iTunes are complaining about crashes so they are probably feverishly working to resolve that.

16. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    Cool, glad to hear that. It's such a crapshoot figuring out which mobile game developers are gonna be with it and which aren't.

17. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    realize the world does not revolve around this forum. maybe a developer is from Finland or Moldova and their fan base is in Western Europe or Russia and they spend all their time supporting fans on forums local to those areas. so keep in mind that just because a developer doesn't show up here to talk to us doesn't mean they "aren't with it".

18. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    #58 CalinR, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Oh man, see, and now you had to take it there. Buddy, I was born and grew up in Romania despite living in the US, so I consider myself a pretty cosmopolitan dude, first of all. So walk a mile in my shoes before you call me narrow minded, because I did take offense.

Second, touch arcade is THE place for mobile gaming news, and while that's not a good thing in my opinion, I've seen games live or die according to how involved a developer is. Most developers, especially ones who only have a SINGLE game in the app store, normally want to see the consumer impressions first hand, which is why most of them show up in this forum for "face" time with their consumers. Builds goodwill.

Third, Brotherwise Games, the creators of the card game are a two man US team, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of probability that being gamers themselves (based on their kickstarter and the finished product) they'd wanna drop here, despite this being an international forum. Plain Concept is an international game development studio, who I'm sure, could afford to have some intern check these forums in between coffee runs. It's not like boss monster is some kinda regional one man effort, there's some money behind it, so don't give me the whole third world game studio spiel cause I'm not buying. Maybe the guilt trip woulda worked on someone who wasn't an immigrant. Moldova was a nice touch btw, keep that one in the bag of rhetoric cause it'll probably work on a lot of people.

So bout the only thing I realized today is that it's still impossible to be active on this forum without some stranger rudely pointing out why my opinions are incorrect. Wouldn't have given two sh*ts about this entire thing if you had had an ounce of polity.

19. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #59 Mack the Knife, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    holy mother, as I try to keep from giggling, I was simply pointing out hypothetically that an arbitrary developer may be devoting their time elsewhere and instead of taking it with a grain of salt, as you should, you blow it into a personal affront. walk in your shoes? no thanks, judging by the dissertation you just wrote, you're a little to off kilter for me. reply if you'd like, I won't. you're not worth my time.

and just to deflate your persecution complex a little more, the girl I like to talk to at the quick check register at the market is from Moldova, so it's not about you Mr. Cosmo.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Holy moly O_O