iPhone Boss Monster by Plain Concepts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kedens, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tamon76

tamon76 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I was able to watch tutorial (which is only slides)
    Every time I try to play the game I get an immediate crash.

iPad Mini Retina
    iOS 7.1.2

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #22 LordGek, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

I was able to finish a 2 player game and have to admit there is more to the game than I initially thought. My biggest whines though are:

1) Do I really need a turn timer when just playing the AI? Nothing nicer than knowing you're on the clock when reading cards and abilities for the first time ever trying to make a decision.

2) What I was able to get from the tutorial before the lockup was great, probably enough to then play the game, but WHY, for the love of God, not include a full manual in options or something?

This is even after the now hackneyed question, "Did you reboot your system first?"

3. Dentorin

Dentorin Active Member

Nov 2, 2012
    You can actually make the turn process go faster. The game is giving you that timer at each step to play spell cards. If you know you're not going to, press Halt and then select Pass All and it won't give you the timer for each room.

They did a pretty good job of converting this type of game to app form and allow multiplayer to be relatively coherent.

4. Truffled

Truffled Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    My only question is if the other locked coming soon expansions are going to cost as well? 6.99 isn't too bad of a price for the whole game but I don't think it's worth it if each expansion costs as well.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    iPad only. :(

6. Perryrhodan

Perryrhodan Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Unable to play. Start the app , first splash screen , goes black and return to desktop. Nothing else. Have restarted my iPad and still doing the same thing. IPad mini 2 with latest and greatest iOS revision.

7. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #27 CalinR, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Bought the game, like the concept, love the artwork. If the dev's here, are there any plans to allow longer games via a custom victory point setting? It'd be nice to have a game where if one hero gets through, it's over, but you need 40 souls to win, etc.

My only complaints so far, are that

1. The games are too short, feels like as soon as it gets intersting, it's over.
    2. I had to come to this fourum to find out why I couldn't build advanced monster rooms because they need to share a treasure type.

Aside from that, bring the expansions on, I'm buying each one. Kudos for the try before you buy business model, I wish more people did this.

Oh, also, no crashes for me, ipad3, 8.1.3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postscript:

So...boss monster 2's apparently a thing...kinda really regretting I bought this now. Are those cards going to be as compatible with the app as your wiki and kickstarter say they are with the physical copy of your game? The wiki lists it as an "expansion" or standalone game, but it's conspicuously absent from your app's store. Also, what's going to happen with the expansions for the boss monster 1 app since yall are working on the sequel now? I really hope I'm wrong cause this all left a really sour taste in my mouth.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Welcome to the world of digitally ported board/card games. The physical card game this is based on has already been out for a year or two so it only makes sense, while software developers are digitally porting the original game, the original board/card game folk are making a sequel to the physical game.

9. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    I jumped on the nightfall bandwagon too late to realize it was dead, and rode the ascension roller coaster, which was cool too. I get that digitizing card games is a risky enterprise, but I literally don't buy games as often on the App Store because of stuff like this (again, I hope I'm wrong).

Judging by the wiki, the new bosses don't add any new game mechanics, but a lot of the room and spell cards aren't in there. I'm hoping that the second's gonna be just more of the first except sold as a stand-alone expansion. I've been thinking about it and, I might get a provisory refund for now and hold off on buying the expansion, up until I see where this game goes. It's sort of a shame cause I like the game, and I don't think it deserves the flak it's caching. It's a bit shallow, but I've played shallower without the pretty gfx.

10. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    All of the planned expansions already exist in the physical game from what I can see. It's not abnormal to get the base out to start making the port worthwhile and in this case it's mostly just artwork and maybe adding some rules to the existing engine and we will likely see the expansions roll out quick. I

I love the game and hope we get the second as an update if it mixes with the first in the physical game ... If it's separate physically then we can expect the same digitally. Awesome game and no crashes for me on iPad Air 2 or iPhone 6

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Man you're a lucky one. I got crashes on 6+ and iPad 2. Cannot play a single game on either.
    And for those about to ask, for iPhone 6 you need to be jailbroked.

12. Raki_Saeki

Raki_Saeki Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I got the tutorial crash but got passed it and now I've been playing like 7 games me vs AI with only one crash during a game.

With the tutorial I found that i the last slides it was slower, so I went from slide 10 to 9 ( don't know which ones exactly but they were on the last part wich loads slower) and then continued and it loaded just fine. Don't know if this will help anyone though.

I find the game well adapted, have the physical copy and expansion and have been a backer.
    I did't know about the PASS ALL option so thanks for that!

The only thing I would prefer is the option to choose which Boss do you want to play with. :(

Playing on a ipad 2 ios 8.

Pd: boss monster 2 is coming but as a physical game as far as I know.

13. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #33 Mack the Knife, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    ipad2, latest iOS, no background processes running and WiFi off. twice thru the tutorial and 10 games in with nary a hiccup. easy game to learn so reading the rules once was all that was necessary so, to me, having them in-game wasn't necessary as they'd only be taking up space on my hard drive :D. i don't at all perceive the UI as "clunky" (as many at BGG are saying), i don't play on line and two-player is fine with me so i just got myself a pretty decent free game. no complaints.

14. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    and i have a question. first, i don't know the game that well yet but while playing a 2 player against the AI a screen popped up, with the AI boss at the top and a card (i think it was a room card) with the option at the bottom that said 'Play this card'. there was also the OK button in the lower right. again, this was not MY card but the AI's card so why was it giving ME the 'Play this card' option? i sometimes press that play button and i sometimes press the OK. even on the slow speed, i really can't tell what happens next meaning i don't know if pressing Play had any different effect than pressing OK. i hope i've explained this but can you more experienced players tell me why i'm getting this? thanks!

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't believe this is anything more than, "please acknowledge this effect/spell has just been activated" with Ok or Play having the same effect (although if they JUST had the OK option I think it would be more clear).

16. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    that's kinda what i thought but yeah, both buttons make it ambiguous.

17. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Enjoying this game a lot. Took a few goes to work out everything but I found it pretty intuitive.
    No crashes on my ipad3 ios 8.2

18. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Is every expansion going to cost 6.99 each?

Developers:

Please work on the interface. Great game but a little clunky. Card games work wonderfully on touch devices- Hearthdtone, magic, Combat Monsters.

19. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #39 Mack the Knife, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    who knows, but i doubt it as the Tools of Hero-Kind expansion is only 26-cards.

realize you have the full base game for free, the 7 bucks just unlocks 3 and 4 player modes and multiplayer AND you have to have it in order to use the other expansions once they're released. also, some people are saying only certain bosses (4 of them i think) are showing up as playable in the free version. anyone else see this?

20. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Yes, I've only had 3 or 4 bosses, not sure if that changes if I win the 40 games and get the first unlocked expansion?
    That being said, I am so enjoying this little gem that I will probably pay for the full unlock.
    Would be nice to hear from the dev also.....