iPad Book of Demons: Tablet Edition (by ThingTrunk)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I hope it gets to iPhone some time soon. The big iPhones should be good for this game.
    Devs, any plans?

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    For those asking about iPhone and MFi possibilities, these are quotes from the developer posted here and in the beta thread;

We will look into gamepad support, no promises there though. It was a hassle on Steam and we reworked controls for iPad, so adding another controller support on top of that could be a pain.

Yes, we don't have plans for phone builds. We never say never, but for the game to be comfortable experience on small screens a humongous amount of rework would be required. It's not only UI, but we would also probably need to rescale the game itself or make a different control scheme.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

bummer. Thanks for the details. I really appreciate it!

4. RichardC

RichardC Active Member

Mar 12, 2011

I'm a huge gamepad player, preferring to use the gamepad for almost every game.

I find the touch controls for Book of Demons to be amazing. I think it'll be harder to play with a gamepad than it is with the touch controls.

5. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    What is the super hot mode all about? I couldn’t find anything about it in-game.

someone asked about cursor knockback—I’m assuming that is for computers only, it it would be nice to have a parenthetical statement in game that it only applies to computers. Seems like the item should get something else instead though or it feels underpowered because it the item was balanced for having that feature.

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Already own on steam but I like to support these games, so have another purchase on me!

7. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Superhot mode basically means that time stops when you do.
    It turns the game into a more tactical game rather than action rpg. Allows you to select skills at a much more leisurely pace.
    You can change to Superhot at any time during the game.

Cursor knockback is a “feature” where your cursor would get knocked off target, usually I think with elite enemies that critical hit you. Basically it just made you miss the target. It was criticised by some that regarded it simply as an annoyance.
    Now to be honest I don’t know if that is still there in the mobile version. I will keep an eye on that now, though it might be more difficult to see if it is happening due to having your finger covering the enemies in the mobile version, making it harder to see if your attack is actually connecting.
    If it is still there then the cards that help prevent it would still be relevant.
    If cursor knockback is not still in the game then yes, the description should have been removed.

Perhaps the card could just have a chance to avoid critical hits in general as a replacement buff for having it removed?
    First though, I’ll try and see if this cursor knockback thingy is still there or not.

Solarclipse likes this.
  8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    It is not in the iPad version. It was one of the reasons that the Steam version didn't work for me, tbh. I just got stuck. Mouse didn't work. I couldn't de-stun myself. My chars got swarmed. I died repeatedly. I couldn't get my cards back in order to have a shot at beating bosses - never even beat the first world / the maze. Went back a dozen times with new characters. Got stumped / beaten every time. Joyless, in the end.

This is a different order of functionality. I've just beaten the game for the first time - touch controls just work. Superbly.

stubbieoz likes this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    If I have one grievance, in the latter levels it sometimes felt a bit too mechanistic - you can (IMO) pretty much see the stats play out in front of you, and there's not a great deal you're really doing (particularly in a green card heavy / blue card or active skill light setup). IDK, perhaps that's entirely my fault, though! Switch in a few active skills and maybe it'll up the tension. (I can't really see why I would though - overwhelmingly, passive skills seem far far better. Hmm!)

10. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    #70 Laenor, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    I've been hooked up to the game.

I'm currently level 42 with my Warrior. The upper difficulty levels in Freeplay mode (Currently playing on massacre) are actually great in providing new challenges, as you can't rely on your "best cards" and have instead to build based on the initial cards you are assigned (5 cards assigned out of 10 slots in massacre)

The additional tension linked to the fear of losing cards / most of your gold makes it pretty interesting to play.

Edit.: Level 43 actually

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #71 tops2, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Edit: Never mind my question (asking if quitting midgame will save and allow resuming later).
    @stubbieoz mentioned in a previous post that the game will save midgame.

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Constant save. Leap in, leap out. No rage quitting tactics here!

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I guess rage delete option is a bit too nuclear here then. :p

But thanks for the feedback!

14. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    #74 Laenor, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    There was a patch yesterday, with balance changes.
    Anyone knows where we can find detailed patchnotes ?
    Tried looking around, but couldn't find any :(

15. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Can’t help you with detailed patch notes, but I noticed that the home bar on the iPad Pro works correctly now.

16. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Patch notes are accessible in-game if you click on the gear with your profile and look for changelog

stubbieoz likes this.
  17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Uriel - is there any possibility of having a double-tap and hold function to attack and stay put? Right now it's sometimes tricky to attack and not move (playing warrior).

Or have a setting where the character only moves if the track itself is touched, not surrounding area, etc.

18. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    I don't know if it's the same for Warrior (didn't test), but for mage, you can do just that by double touch (Eg.: If you touch your screen with two fingers, you will be firing bolts without moving)

@Uriel - There is something odd about Cold Nova (https://book-of-demons.fandom.com/wiki/Cold_Nova)
    The increase in cooldown with the increase in ranks seems very odd to me.

Spell goes from a cooldown of 5 to a cooldown of 7 from Rank 1 to Rank 3.

It makes it a pain to synchronize with Ice Wall (https://book-of-demons.fandom.com/wiki/Ice_Wall) which goes from a cooldown of 15 to a cooldown of 5.

Shouldn't the progression be reversed (eg.: Cooldown of 7 at rank 1 to a cooldown of 5 at rank 3) ?
    It makes little sense to me to have a decrease in power when you increase your ranks in an ability.

19. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    The only problem with that, using the archer not real sure with other characters attacks, is that if you have a special arrow card equipped such as fire or ice etc, you shoot them using two fingers.

Yes you stand still but you are using your limited ammo at the same time.

20. Book of Demons is gonna be published on PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch by 505 Games this April.