iPad Book of Demons: Tablet Edition Beta!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Uriel, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    We are using our homebrew C++ engine, but we figured out a way to test it without a device so we should have a fix soon.

PS We will be moving to Unity with one of the upcoming projects though, so that link will help a lot, thanks!

2. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Game designer and developer
    Croatia
    If you need quick test on real device I will gladly help.

3. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    O right, version 1.5 should roll out now.

Changes:
    • Fixed UI on 11" iPad (we hope, would be awesome if @DrugiKat or someone else with 11" screen could test it)
    • Added touch dead zone under top screen icons
    Stuff we are aware of and working on now:

• Sound disappearing when switching apps
    • Adding separate button for minimap to avoid triggering special attacks with pinch gesture
    • Fixes to lower bar

stubbieoz likes this.
  4. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Croatia
    UI is fixed on 11" iPad. Great work!!!

5. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    Awesome, thank you for confirming it's fine now!

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Just a quick thanks for responding and implementing so quickly to suggestions for improving the mobile version.
    Really is encouraging when developers listen to peoples posts and ideas in forums such as this one.

With that being said I’m hoping the release is not too far off..... money is burning a hole in my pocket. :D

7. DrugiKat

DrugiKat Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2014
    Croatia
    Hi, I have one suggestion that when you click on the gold character don't move toward the gold (like a character doesn't move toward barrel when you click on them). And, maybe just my feeling, that zone around enemies which detect a touch are a little small because when I want to touch enemies to attack them instead of that character moves toward them.
    All else is perfect...

8. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #48 stubbieoz, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    This might help in the meantime (or not);

You don’t move when you tap on the barrels because you are actually attacking them. I got into the habit of leaving gold where it is until I am standing close to it. Gold remains until it is picked up.

I think you will find that it is not the zone around an enemy that is too small, but rather you move because you are simply out of range.
    Edit; Actually after some more testing I think you are probably right about your feeling about the enemy attack zone being a bit too small. I’m playing on the large iPad Pro so the attack zone is probably somewhat bigger due to the larger screen.

The next post might help somehow>.........

9. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #49 stubbieoz, Feb 3, 2020
    >.......(A follow on from my post above).

Just to give a heads up about something that may not be apparent.
    If anyone is finding the game a bit too hectic try Superhot mode when you start a new character.
    Contrary to what you may think, Superhot mode actually slows the game down and time only moves when you tap.
    It makes the game a whole easier to manage, and allows you to tap a lot more accurately.

10. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    What's the point of doing beta tests if you don't try to fix and improve the game :D
    It's not far off, we will probably start preorders this week and release in two/three weeks.

This is a two-sided sword, in away. If tapping gold stopped the hero then gold could block escaping/dodging incoming attacks. This would be more inconvenient as not you only have to wait until there are no monsters around to pick up treasure and everything should be fine.

Having said that we are now having an internal discussion about that (again!) so hopefully we will come up with a solution.

I recommend trying it out even if the game is not too hectic. It's a fun tactical mode that plays like a different game :D

stubbieoz likes this.
  11. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #51 stubbieoz, Feb 3, 2020
    A couple of questions;

*Will the iOS version and the current Steam version be comparative?
    The current version on Steam is 1.03.20073, released 16th Jan and includes;
    • Added new soundtracks and updated music system
    Just wanted to confirm if both versions of the games are at the same patching stage.

*Any chance you might disclose the release price now, and while not at all necessary (as far as I am concerned anyway) will there be some sort of discount for pre-orders? :D

12. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    Yes, we intend to keep the version compatible. The version naming is different because platform requires that.

During preorders and launch week the game will be discounted to $4.99, after that the regular price will be higher.

macplash and nickhoola like this.
  13. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #53 stubbieoz, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    $4.99??!!

Oh wow! That is a ridiculously tiny price for such a massive and totally enjoyable game. People would be just plain dumb not to get it at that price. :confused:
    I hope you can get the word out about the game coming to mobile. That is incredible value and everyone who keeps wanting premium games as opposed to the free stuff should just buy this if only to support your decision. I’m still picking myself up off the floor......

And very sorry, but could you please elaborate if the mobile version is currently the same as the Steam version. Specifically with the new soundtracks and music system update. Thanks.

.......... still can’t get over that pre-order price. :eek: :D :cool:

Edit;
    I just found a glitch in the game.
    In SuperHot mode the icons at the top don’t seem to have the dead zone so tapping on them causes the character to move.

nickhoola likes this.
  14. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male

All the updates from Steam builds are int hat one, we don't fork base code and intend to keep both versions up to date. In fact, were you able to copy saves from PC they should work on iOS build ;-)

And the price is a steal, agreed :D But iOS premium market is tough and without a big label behind us with mountains of gold for marketing we have to bring in players with other means ;-) And since word of mouth is still the best ally of indie developer - spread the word, we will appreciate it a lot!

Regarding the lack of dead zone - thank you, we will test it today!

stubbieoz likes this.
  15. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Have you considered allowing the save files in BoD on iOS to have apples File Sharing?
    Some devs do this and while it is a bit cumbersome it does allow you to transfer game save files between a pc and iOS by using iTunes or a similar application such as iExplorer.

Might help owners of the Steam version to decide to also buy the iPad version if they could continue their game on both devices.

And maybe it also opens up the possibility to use the cloud?
    I’m just guessing at that.... I have no idea how all that cloud stuff works. :confused:

16. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    New build rolled out. More important changes:

• Sound issues fixes, the sound shouldn't disappear after switching apps,
    • Added dedicated minimap button, no more accidental special missiles when pinching for the map!
    Let me know if it works as intended.

Regarding file-sharing - not sure, but I think it's allowed. Matt told me you should be able to transfer the files using iExplorer or similar. There is a good chance that we will tweak balance for the iOS build (we already did that for the Archdemon) so moving saved there and here again could desync stuff a bit in the long run, though.

17. Uriel

Uriel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Male
    Ok, here it goes! We launched pre-orders. The pre-order and launch price is $4.99, less than half of the regular price. Pre-order while it's hot ;-)

The release date is 13th, so roughly only a week away!

nickhoola and Makara Nou like this.
  18. Good news!

Uriel likes this.
  19. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Just pre-ordered!!

Uriel likes this.
  20. nickhoola

nickhoola Member