"Boo Hoo! I WANT retina SUPPORT!"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tsharpfilm, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    What in the hell is going on... :mad:

What's with all of the people I've seen lately giving games 1 stars, and saying they're not going to buy a game, just because it doesn't support their fancy new display that's ONLY been available for the last 3 months?! What happened to appreciating good games with good gameplay? Why are these people making such a big deal out of a few extra pixels?

Bloody hell...

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahaha, bloody stupid mate. Let them whine.

3. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    While the retina display is beautiful (and I mean absolutely GORGEOUS) I don't think it is a necessity for all games myself. And certainly wouldn't deter me from buying a good game if it didn't have it. But that goes along with everyone bitching that they want the best of the best I suppose. Not sure what it is.

4. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    But why though? Yeah, I have a 4th gen iPod touch. And yeah, games with retina support do look a little shaper. But the games without retina support don't look that bad.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    All non-retina games should be -0.99c. I get funded the money just for downloading that pixelated mess.

/typical App Store customer

6. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    fixed

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    ...I said minus 99 cents. Hence me getting funded the money. If it were free I'd get nothing.

8. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Hahahaha. :D

A lot of people don't have the sense to understand that you can't upscale most graphics. You can downscale them, but to upscale them you have to redo them! And that takes a lot of damn time and work.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well, you can if you don't mind pixels, but they'd never stand for that. I play SNES games upscaled on my Macbook though and they still look just as beautiful to me :) Maybe it's just the kids who moan... spoiled by their 16xFSAA. Back in my day you could count each individual pixel on the screen!

10. digitalsynapses

digitalsynapses Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    By Day: IT Systems Engineer / By Night: Geek Dad /
    Upstate, NY
    Not to mention the fact that OpenGL GUIs need to be recoded in order to use the new coordinate system.

Also people don't seem to understand that we developers don't get to see or touch the new hardware untill they do. We can't make changes till we have the hardware to test against, unless they want buggy broken apps just for the sake of pretty graphics on day 1.

Just my 2 cents.

11. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    right. note to self: quick reading and posting while working makes you seem dumb.

12. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Right. :D

If you were to upscale jpegs or gifs for retina display, they'd look the same as they did on a regular display. You'd have to go through the trouble of retrieving every graphical element and either reprocessing it to fit the new size and aspect ratio, or, if the elements weren't available, you'd have to redo everything.

Most of the time all of this work isn't worth the trouble, especially if the game is only $1.99 and under to begin with. These chicken nugget eating kids need to stop being so nitpicky about old games having retina display, and maybe, kinda-sorta, hope the new games will have them. But even if they don't, it shouldn't be a deal breaker if the game itself is good.

13. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    oops

actually they look a lot sharper and far more crisp. however I do agree that's not a necessity. my favorite game on the iPhone has no retina display support

14. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I'm just happy when a game has iPhone 3G support these days.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I base everything in life on aesthetics, I also believe everyone agrees with me. I am not egocentric.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Then you should know, your sig is a mess :p

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lol My life is a mess, but then again I choose to have it that way.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Seriously though... what is it? It looks like a load of men in a boat or something.

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It was supposed to be rabbits writing at desks, but I know f**k all about ascii, so I was too lazy to delete it, and now that you called me out I'm keeping it up out of pride, or spite, or stubbornness - idk haven't decided yet. :cool:

How do people make 4 line ascii art? It's beyond my feeble mind.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I can see it now... sort of. I don't have a clue how people come up with some of this ascii stuff, it's inspired. Especially the ones with foreign characters, I just get lost looking at them.