Universal Bomb Chicken (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 31, 2020.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @metalcasket I’m proud of you for not giving up! You got me worried there for a moment, but it’s all in the past now. Go get ‘em!;)

metalcasket likes this.
  2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sorry homie. I didn't see this. Yep, I've been doing that this entire time. ;)

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Man, life has a really weird way of dealing you cards. Literally got through Level 14 with all gems on the very first try after this fresh install. What the bleeping bloop?!?!

macplash likes this.
  4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LOL! Sometimes we just need a break. This happened to me so many times. Although barely when I need it. Mostly it’s unexpected but so much more surprising just because of that. I’m glad you made it. Brace yourself, the hardest levels are yet about to come.;)

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, bring it on! (That’s the right attitude, right?) I just know that since I’m back to being utterly in love with the game and want to keep it alive for as long as possible, I’m gonna attempt a single level each day until it’s over and done with (and hopefully if Nitrome are monitoring the forum, add iCloud support *crosses fingers*).

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It hath been done! Every level, every gem, final boss defeated in under 2 minutes. Now comes the biggest conflict! To delete or not to delete? I know the console version has an achievement for beating the entire game with one life (or not upgrading your health?) but if it's here (I dunno...are the achievements viewable somewhere? >_>) there's no way in hell I'm even trying it.

@macplash How's your progress? You know....NOPE! Nothing even comes close to the frustration of level 14. No matter how hard or frustrating everything post-14 is, there's a reason for it. There's genuis level design behind it all. The randomness of that final section in 14 is so uncharacteristic of the whole game.

ste86uk likes this.
  7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @metalcasket wow! I’m impressed. Jealous. No, really: Congratulations!

I’m stuck at level 25. The combination of the darkness, spikes, boiling lava, bats and that flying ghost just seems to be too much for me. Not to mention the green gems on 21 and 22 which means I’d have to go back at some point. I have to be close to final boss I guess, but that last step is always the most difficult. And it frustrates me. More with every next failed attempt. But if you made it, and @Echoseven have done it, I have to as well! What am I, worse than you guys? It’s about pride now for me. Wish me luck!:)

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's so weird for me to be the one rooting for the other person here, but c'mon mate...you got this! *fist bump*

All I can tell you is exactly what @Echoseven said to me: Bank those gems...and memorize those levels as best you can, and you'll be fine. With gems out of the way, levels become incredibly streamlined, even when you're dying left and right. Granted, everyone's got their kryptonite, and it seems like while I have no issue with being chased around, that seems like your main hurdle here.

Pro-tip: Don't be afraid to 2 hand the game (like an invisible controller) and mash alternate thumbs to speed up your bomb-laying. ;)

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So, how exactly do I bank the gems? I know even if I fail and restart the level, the collected gems are saved. But once I leave the game and I didn’t beat the level completely, those gems are back there.

Because what you said makes sense. With every single gem out of the way the run should be easier. So, what am I missing?

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, you're not making this easy for me. :p I dunno, I realized that no matter how hard a level is, it's going to be shorter than it looks, and thus would make sure I would finish a level before switching apps or closing the game. Maybe if you just entirely focused on getting through without collecting gems first and then went back for them? Then again, isn't that what you're doing now?

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Despite my need to 100% every level before moving to another in every game, since level 20 this is exactly what I’m trying to do. Just make it through, without thinking about gems at all. But if I see the gem, I have the need to grab it anyway, no matter what approach I went into that level with. It’s like a curse. Anyway, I’m still not giving up!

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    LOL, I'm exactly like that (hence the rage-deletion after Level 14).

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @metalcasket oh, come on! Level 27, seriously? This is where I’m probably drawing the line. Like, what the shit is that?:(

I mean, your advice to use both thumbs when laying bombs was incredibly helpful, I admit, but what am I supposed to do in level 27? That’s ridiculous.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hahaha, I love it! Yeah, that first part will drive you insane when trying to get the 4 gems, but my mashing tip is precisely what you need sans the bomb collection. Tap, tap, tap, hit the switch and fall the **** away immediately.

15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    All I can say following this thread is, I’m glad I called it quits very early on and got it refunded. I don’t like to get refunds and thought I’d like the game but it was too much and too twitchy for me. If all you guys are having trouble with it I definitely would have!

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    What are you talking about? This is a masterpiece! Sure, we complain a bit here and there, but all in all, this is a must-have game for every platformer fan out there. Is it challenging? Why, of course! But that’s just it. It’s challenging, but fair. And most certainly beatable (I hope!), with a bit of effort and patience. How could you refund this? Up to third world it was very casual. You should’ve kept with it. Definitely worth the effort! You made a mistake by getting rid of this one. Seriously.

@metalcasket yeah, yeah. The first part is annoying (the beginning with four flying skulls), but if I die there, I’m not losing any hearts, so I can try how much I want without a consequence. It’s the next part that annoys me. After falling through the pipe there are these cannons on both sides. There’s just no place to hide, to rest for even a second. That’s what I’m struggling to get through. Ideas?;)

metalcasket likes this.
  17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Crazy tapping as high as you can go! Once the fireballs hit your stack, fall down and maneuver if there are stray ones. Rinse and repeat. High as you can!

@ste86uk Oh no you di'int! :(

18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @macplash @metalcasket sorry it really wasn’t anything with the game at all. I just felt like it wasn’t for me after trying it but at least I tried it. It’s one thing I do like about refunds that I can try some games I otherwise wouldn’t have and probably 99% of the time I keep them.

You know I’m not all hardcore on platformers but I thought maybe it wouldn’t be too tough but I didn’t enjoy it. We all enjoy different things and this one just didn’t click with me is all. I hope your not too disappointed, I do buy a whole lot that I do enjoy.

macplash and metalcasket like this.
  19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    MADE IT! Crazy intense. Didn’t blue-gemmed it, duh, but that’s the last thing I care about since level 20.:cool: Anyway, Level 28. I’m getting close. Yay!:) Sharing the journey step by step is even more fun than just beating it quietly by myself. Hope I’m not being annoying by this constant spamming and complaining. That’d be a bummer.:oops:

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Don't be silly! This is what the forums are for. ;) Why'd you think I asked you how you were doing in the game yesterday?