Universal Bomb Chicken (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 31, 2020.

1. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Absolutely clever gameplay mechanic and puzzles

2. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    OK. It must be me. I've downloaded every Nitrome game. I will not deny that their games are excellent. But they are so hard that I end up quitting them in frustration. Is there something wrong with me? I want this one but I hesitate to buy it because of my past experience. Convince me that this will be different.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I havent got many Nitrome games. This one to be is a very good platformer, the first few levels are quite easy as you get used to the way the 'jump' essentially works (with bombs). Some frustrating levels and you only get i think its 3 or 4 lives. But its a quality game and i definiately want to keep coming back to try again

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #24 macplash, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    @PBSNellie Can you be more specific on which titles are too hard for you? Because it's not possible you're talking about all of them in general. I mean, there's a bunch of highscore chasers you can't even win (I guess) like Cooped Up or really casual shooters like Ultimate Briefcase I could finish with my eyes closed. On the other hand, Gunbrick was hard in terms of puzzle solving, but I wouldn't quit playing it out of frustration because of that. So, can you give me an example?

EDIT: looks like this one‘s going to be on the harder side of Nitrome’s lineup of games. Fourth level already offers some challenge with stacking the bombs on top of each other while balancing on moving platforms. So, you might wanna wait it out for now. Just until we see what’s further there.

PBSNellie likes this.
  5. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks to all your comments about the game i just bought it and i'm sure all the marvelous things yo've said about it will make me an happy platformer gamer!!

macplash likes this.
  6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Only done the first 3 levels and so far so good I’m liking it. Just wondering how you see the level selection screen to know if you have collected everything in a level or not? When I press start it just goes down to a play button and then resumes from where I was.

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk upper right corner. Sometimes there's pause button displayed, but even if it's not visible, it's there. Just tap that and you're in the menu.

ste86uk likes this.
  8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Guys, in the end of the 3rd level, is there a way to get into that pipe? (image attached below). Because the gem is still green (and yeah, I found the treasure chest already), so I assume something must be down there. But that wooden platform is blocking my way and bombs are ineffective. I “blue-gemmed” levels before and after, but not this one. Help please.
    —-

Attached Files:

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't no wanna ruin it for you. :( I'll just say, you're not looking in the right place. Leave NOTHING unturned. If something looks interactive don't fear interacting with it. ;)

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #30 macplash, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Okay, alright. Fair enough! At least I know it’s not it. So I can focus my attention elsewhere. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.;)

EDIT: LOL, got it! That one was well hidden. Well hidden indeed! Thanks again.

Attached Files:

metalcasket likes this.
  11. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I have very slow reflexes. I can't get very far in any of their games. Then the incredibly intrusive ads appear, and since I'm struggling with the game, I don't want to spend the money yet. Briefcase is impossible for me, Rust Bucket I actually really like, but I have not gotten past the second or third level. I redownloaded a couple, I'm going to really work on them and see if I can't get better. I'm always willing to try again. Sometimes I've developed better game play in other games, and can use that on a hard game.

12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    FWIW, this is fully premium so won’t see any intrusive ads here. :)

PBSNellie likes this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @PBSNellie okay, I’m not gonna lie. This shit hidden in the spoiler tags almost ruined it for me. I hate passages like this. And I assume it’s only gonna get worse. I’m glad I made it through, don’t get me wrong, but I’m not looking forward to something like that again. Hope it was just one rare occasion. It may not look that bad, but took me a lot of attempts to make it. So, yeah.

ste86uk likes this.
  14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You make it look easy in that video but if even you had to try multiple times I don’t know what that means for me! I’ve gone over level 3 twice more and still didn’t find the hidden bit I’m missing. I’ll try again now I’m home and can relax, the baby’s on calpol tonight so that usually means some peace and quiet while she sleeps!

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Like the game, great controls, just as I hoped a bit like Gunbrick he he.

macplash and ste86uk like this.
  16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, it looks like I’m already playing catch up to you, but awwww man, c’mon, that was my favorite level so far! :p

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Seriously? Favorite? I mean, yeah, sort of, now I’m past that.:D But I have to say I love this game so far. I’m wondering how big it is, content-wise. Level 12 at the moment, all blue-gemmed. Can’t get enough of it.;)

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    29 levels in total apparently. I have to stress to others, these aren't bite-sized levels. They're sprawling, multi-screened levels and even very early on, they can take upwards of 5 minutes to complete.

19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Okay! That sounds great. My favorite so far is level 12 as it requires something new to do to get all the gems there and I love it! So I’m currently halfway through the game I guess and things are getting serious. This is one demanding platformer, let me tell you. But nothing rage-quitting. Reasonably challenging - yes. Nitrome guys outdone themselves yet again.

20. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Damn, that level 8 “boss” is a bitch. Wish there were checkpoints. But I’m loving it!