Bogus prices (yes, bogus)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Hmar9333, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    #1 Hmar9333, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    So you know how there was this whole 'GFC' thing, right?

And you know how the Australian dollar is trading for more than the US Dollar now yeah?

Then WHY THE HELL are us Aussies paying up to 100% more on games (Black ops Hardened set me back 119.95) and other excessive mark ups on electronics (kinect, 33%. Apple products, god knows how much)

I can understand a small mark up for shipping and distribution but not these excessive price hikes, and it's truly starting to burn a hole in my wallet.

/rant on my iPod which probably cost several hundred dollars more than yours :mad:

2. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Import from the US?

If the mark up is that bad, then should work out cheaper.

3. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    That would work for some things, but games in the US are NTSC, Australia is a PAL region.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you had a PS3 you'd be able to enjoy region-free gaming. Just sayin'.

5. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't want a PS3.

6. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Yea I know, you'd have to import the console as well, which depending on the weight of it, might work out slightly more expensive than buying in Aus. But you'd be saving in the long run.

But you probably already have a console, hence the rant. So mod it to region free I guess?

7. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I hate Australia's prices for life in general. I went to the US last year and everything from packets of chips to cars are so much cheaper.

For my xbox games I have now resorted to eBay. I suggest you do the same.
    Instead of paying $80-$100 for a brand new xbox game, I can either pay $60 from the UK for a PAL version or go for a region free version from Hong Kong (Which at first seem dodgy but I am yet to find a game that wasn't genuine). Just stick with the big sellers and you will be fine.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can't honestly say I'm surprised.

9. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Isn't minimum wage out there like $15 compared to around $8 in the states? Not saying that's what you make, but ummm... someone smart please help me out here...

10. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    So the culprit is inflation :eek:!

Hold the applause :cool:

11. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well I guess I don't want a PS3 isn't quite true.

I'd love to have a PS3 as well as my Xbox, best of both worlds you see, but it's just not economically viable.

Not sure but if true, I could work in Australia, and then move to America and be a BILLIONAIRE!! MUAHAWWAHAHUA!!!

12. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I'm guessing that they mark up prices just because they can. If you're cost of living is already higher, maybe game companies are just going with the flow. That is, if higher costs in general are already expected and accepted, game companies might just be taking advantage of that trend in the market.
    Of course, I'm sure shipping and localization add to the costs, but the numbers you mentioned seem far in excess of any real increased cost in getting an item to market. And especially with the US dollar being fairly weak, as you mentioned, your prices should be lower for US imports.
    ... So. Right. Basically, I guess I'm just saying that I agree with you. Your prices are bogus.
    (Time to start a riot!)